The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
A 5 story mall and how things "pan"ned out.

(Scroll down SLOWLY so the story comes up a little at a time and the pictures won't give anything away.)

Hi all! As you know I am in Qatar on military business. Well today I got to go out to City Center Mall. We travel in buddy teams and I went with an Air Force Major six years my junior. Imagine if you will a five story mall! Woohoo I am at home! Here it is.

The bottom floor has an ice rink and the top floor is for women only. That still leaves hours and hours of shopping. Here is a picture of happy me at the mall.

Well they had watch stores all over the place. Every other store sold watches! I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I saw a $100,000 Paris Hilton Watch, check it out!

There were hundreds and hundreds of other watches too. Now most of the brand I had never heard of. Not that they were not beautiful but I had no idea of many of the brands! The shopkeepers were all smiling and happy. They love Americans and they love America, they just do not agree with out politics at all times. That's fine with me, they won't be shooting at us.

Well I finally found a ROLEX store! Time to go looking for 116713, my TT GMT II Anniv. I walk in the store and look around. Salespeople are scarce. I find the Rolexes and start looking. Hmmm they have the all gold version, and they have the TT standard GMT but no Anniv edition. Okay here is the salesman now.

"Can I help you?"
"Yes, I want to buy 116173."
"What's that?"
"The two-tone GMT Anniversary."
"We don't have that. Try back in 30 days."
"Okay, can you give me a price?"
"No."

Ooooooo-kay. On to other watch dealers that want to sell watches and not rush me and my plastic out the door. Now so far the only brand I recognized in all of the stores was Rolex, Seiko, Calvin Klein, Guess, and Casio.

Okay now I see the "Qatar Trading Company." I go on in.

I am in heaven! IWC, Panerai, Tag Heuer, Glasshütte, and many others. No Rolex but still plenty to choose from. Near the Panerai they had little submarine models. I saw a gold Panerai in a HUGE box. That box can hold a phone book for New York City! Holy Cow!

I do a lap and the salesman is all smiles. I ask prices and he replies. he asks if I am looking for anything special. "Yes" I reply, "I want a weekend watch. This (showing my Rolex GMT) is my work watch. I looked at Rolexes across the way but they were not too interested in helping me find anything."

He replies with,"We can help you. Any watch you want is 15% off." So I look around and find a nice Glasshütte and a Panerai GMT. I get the prices and calculate the discounts. There is no sales tax either! Instant 7% discount!

Now here is where I learned something. I love the feel of the Rlex bracelet. I do not really like buckles and straps. But the Panerai is a bracelet that LOOKS like a strap! This is too cool. I may look at these after all.
There is also a nice Panerai GMT (PAM 00088) and a GMT with an alarm (PAM 00098). He also had PAM00140, a beauty in sold gold. I admired them all and told him I would think about it. 15% off and no sales tax from suggested list is pretty good. I am way ahead of anything my Rolex dealer did for me. I try on the two watches. The straps are loose but they can easily be adjusted. The watches felt to be asleep on my wrist. Tey were not smiling at me, they were asleep! They may smile later. They are limited editions and hard to come by, but I seem to find an unlimited number of limited editions, so I am not concerned.

So the Major and I walk around and have dinner. We have walked though about half of the mall in four hours. There is no way we will see it all in one day, it is just too big. Every other store sells watches or cell phones. Do you want a cell phone with a five megapixel camera? They have it in this mall! But I digress.

Well we are ready to go now. I want to go back to the watch dealer and take another look at the watches. I compare, I look, I play, I touch. And I apologize for taking so dang long. He is very patient with me and I glad that I came back.

I am very interested in the Panerai GMT. But I don't know, it is not smiling at me. I look at the GMT with the alarm. Now that watch is just too busy. I look at the gold watch. Too big! It feels like a clown watch. Oooh, I was like this deciding between the Sea Dweller and the GMT II, I cannot make up my mind that quickly.

I do another lap around the store. The Glasshütte is nice but it is something for my Dad, not me. I want a weekend watch. White face. Easy to read. Classy. Reliable. Trustworthy. The Glasshütte has a white face but it is not striking. Hmmmm. Do I want a white face? Maybe not.

I examine the Panerai GMT Alarm. I decide that the watch is too busy. There are too many markings and I will not use the alarm. Even though it is rare and a good deal, it is not my deal, it belongs to someone else.

Now I am down to the Panerai GMT 00088. I really do not like the black face. I like the size of the numbers and the weight of the watch,but not the color. I try the gold one again. No way, too big I think. I ask the Major what he thinks. "It looks like you need to be in a clown outfit and have a tiny car with 20 other clowns in it." Yup, too big. it's 44mm vs. 40mm. Back to square one.

The salesman asks what I like or dislike. I tell him I do not want a black face, that is a definite. I love the Panerai but not the black face. Can he get a white face?

"I can get the white face but I must order it and it will take a few days. But I do not think you will like the white face. The darker face is better with the glowing numbers."

My salesman asks if he may give some idea to help me. Now I like salesmen who think about what their customer needs and helps out. he sure is better than the Rolex dealer across the way!

He asks, "How badly do you need a GMT?"
"All the time. I deal with Qatar and Tampa times."
"But you want a weekend watch you said. Do you work on weekends?"
"Not if I can help it."
"Well then, you may not want to get a GMT watch since you already have one in the Rolex."

The man had a point. And he just talked himself out of selling me one of two watches. He is more interested in me than his commission. This guy is good. Very good.

"I have another watch on back that you may like. It is a Panerai with a blue face and a blue band."

"Sure," I said, "I'll look at it."

Hmmm, now this is very different. No GMT. No alarm. No tic marks between the numbers. Very simple and extremely easy to read. I like this watch! PAM0119.

I ask him, "15% discount right?"
He replies, "For that watch I will give you 20%."

Now this is the land of haggling, but I know that these guys have their limits, and this is a mall store where the prices they set are usually the ones you pay. This is not a souke on the streets.

"Well for 20% let's calculate the price." And he does.

I go back to looking at other watches too but come back to the blue one every now and then. And then I do another lap around the entire store. And then I remember that I have a Degree in Marketing, so I should use it!

"This is my first time to Qatar. It very well may be my last time. I am going to buy a souvenir of my stay here. This watch can be my souvenir and I will tell the world about it. 'When I was in Qatar I bought this Panerai,' I will say. Now if you give me a good deal I will tell everyone about this store. But if you give me a bad deal I will really never know until much later from now. But when I find out, I will post it on the Internet and tell all my military friends to avoid this store because I trusted the salesman and he let me down." I then took out my camera and asdked to take pictures.

The salesman told me, "You want to put pictures on the Internet? We have very good prices and I will give you a very good deal, you will have 25% off of the price! This is the price we give to our customers who have bought four or more watches from us in the past." I thank him very much and say, "In that case I will buy this blue Panerai. Please confirm the price in US Dollars for me."

He breaks out his calculator and starts to type. He looks up at me. "You will put this on Internet?" I nod. "And you have never owned a Panerai?" I state he is correct. He clears out his calculator and pauses. He punches in some more numbers, and pauses. The words he says really floor me.

"I will give you 30%."

He shows me the price. No sales tax. This is unbelievable. The watch is beautiful and the price is amazing. I am very happy. My friend the Major asks the salesman if he manages to make any money. To avoid embarassment on the salesman's part I jump in. "I hope he made money! I hope he is the top salesman for he month! He helped me through this decision and I am completely satisfied. If I found the watch $500 cheaper elsewhere it would be a crime to buy it anywhere but right here." The salesman says, "You will not find it for even $10 less." He poses for pictures.

I get home. Time for my GMT to meet it's new friend!

This watch is beautiful. AND ... it is a limited edition! #296 of 600! I did not know that!

I have yet to read the books and other materials. I am SO HAPPY. I have everyone here to thank for their input on this model. I would have had no idea what I was looking at if it was not for TRF and everyone from Amanda to JJ. Thank you all. I truly do thank you. I love this new watch and know it to be of great value, and it means so much to me as I bought it here in Qatar.

On the way out of the store I had inspired the Major. He wanted to go back to a jewelry store we were in earlier. He wanted to get his wife a 22k gold necklace, bracelet and earrings set. He was debating it and I gave him ideas like, "You may never be in Qatar again", "This is 22 karat, you will not find this in the US" and "Buy the best and you only cry once." He bought the set.

Needless to say, I am very happy. I like this watch better than than the Rose Gold Brietling Cockpit, better than the Omega I asked about here, and better than others I asked about too. And this watch is THICK! Oh my God this is a big baby!

I'm a happy camper.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Great story...

Thanks for sharing. The watch is beautiful. I own a PAM88 and love it. Beware that the watch is also a massive scratch magnet - you will incur dents and scratches in no time at all, but that's to be expected. That's when the Cape Cod cloths come in handy (though I must admit to never having used one myself - I like the "worn" look). Wear it in good health.

Re: the discount - that sounds like an amazing deal. I've never heard of a Panerai AD offering 30% discount. Most ADs eat the sales tax, and some throw in a strap or two, but discounts are generally small, and few and far between. They don't NEED to discount - a bit like most Rolex ADs.

Re: the strap - you got one with a deployant buckle. They're pretty standard on upscale watches these days. They prolong strap life, and of course make them easier to take on/off. Btw - changing straps on these things is a doddle, so you'll have to start getting into the whole strap thing. The Panerai rubber dive strap is a great choice for weekend wear. Check out the HUGE aftermarket strap brands listed on both paneristi.com and viapaneristi.com.

Anyway - enjoy!
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 03:15 PM   #3
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Congrats on a beautiful watch, that an the great deal.

edit: Don't think they will do mail order right?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
WOW ROBERT!! I read it all!! Congratulations!
That is really nice piece and will make you remember Qatar and your trip for sure!!
I got a PAM088 last March and is one of my favourites!

Wear it in good health!

Ps. If they mail, we all will start to place orders...hehe

Btw did you feel the smell of the wood box that comes with?? Much better presentation than Rolex overall...
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto View Post
Ps. If they mail, we all will start to place orders...hehe
30% group order discount, tell this guy to start selling on ebay already.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 04:37 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Robert,

Congrats. That one's a beauty....especially since you know who loves BLUE!!

Thanks for the full guided tour and for all the info. Wear that baby in good health. Amazing....a whopping 30% off. Let anyone here try and beat that!!!

A king-sized watch for a king-sized guy!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 06:40 PM   #7
astcell
"TRF" Member

The box is a piece of craftsmanship for sure. Comparatively, the Rolex may as well have shipped in a cellophane candy wrapper.

I am glad I now have a watch with some color. This is about as whimsical as I will get with watches. I think I am done watch shopping for the year too. Thanks for the comments!
Old 14 November 2006, 07:45 PM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Wow Robert that's a great post. Hell of a deal on a great watch also. I haven't heard of anyone getting a deal on a watch like that. You made out good. Congratulations and wear it in good health
Old 14 November 2006, 07:57 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great post Robert love a bit of watch shopping great looking shopping arcade.Nice Pam and a great deal,myself love to barter over a deal thats part of the fun.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 08:33 PM   #10
amanda
Banned

Robert, that Mall looks totally awesome! Fantastic post and an absolute stunner of a watch.. may you wear it in superb health!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 08:42 PM   #11
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Way to go Robert, Glad you found a smiler ;o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 10:33 PM   #12
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Nice story! That's a great Pannie, and I know it would smile at me, too!

Enjoy!
Langnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 11:38 PM   #13
Atomic

I am soooo jealous! I love the blue dialed PAMs (next to my 01, that is).

What series is it? How do you like the 40mm size of the 119? My new grail is the PAM082, made in 2000 only and is a 44mm size in blue/blue.

Welcome to the PAM club. The strap combinations may be a little limited given the blue dial, but the fun is in the hunt and trying different things. At the Toronto GTG there was a guy with a navy blue calf strap with light blue stitching that was beautiful (strapworks, I think).

Have fun and nice score!
Old 14 November 2006, 11:54 PM   #14
astcell
"TRF" Member

I believe this is the 119, is that what you mean? Let me know where I need to look. :-) The only other band I am thinking of it the metal one, and it is priced at $1200, that can't be right...
Old 14 November 2006, 11:56 PM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
What a great story, Robert. Thanks for sharing. I did as you said and scrolled through slowly waiting for the climactic moment. And I wasn't disappointed.

Congratulations on a great purchase and a beautiful watch. Wear it in good health and enjoy.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 11:58 PM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I believe this is the 119, is that what you mean? Let me know where I need to look. :-) The only other band I am thinking of it the metal one, and it is priced at $1200, that can't be right...
Robert, you mean the PAM120, 40mm, blue dial on a bracelet? It should be priced around US$4,000 or so.
Old 15 November 2006, 12:08 AM   #17
astcell
"TRF" Member

Oh I meant just the bracelet itself as an accessory.
Old 15 November 2006, 12:11 AM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Oh I meant just the bracelet itself as an accessory.
Oh, then yeah, they're pretty pricey. Cheaper to buy one on a bracelet and interchange it with straps, than buy OEM after the fact. Then again, there's some non-OEM bracelets out there that are great, and cost under $200.
Old 15 November 2006, 01:13 AM   #19
Calogero1
"TRF" Member

Great SCORE!!!

Very nice story...i'm surfing for a last minute deal to Quatar as we speak LOL

My good friend has a PAM 119 - and for some reason this 40mm wears real big. It is a real nice watch!

Plus it seems like you scored big time. Congrats again!!

Carlo
Calogero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 01:19 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Great post and great watch, pal Congratulations
Old 15 November 2006, 01:31 AM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

What a great post! Big congrats on a fantastic watch. Just beautifull!
It can't get any better, a supurb watch at a great price, and a memory that will last a lifetime!! Great job!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 01:33 AM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
What a great post! Big congrats on a fantastic watch. Just beautifull!
It can't get any better, a supurb watch at a great price, and a memory that will last a lifetime!! Great job!
Agreed... and if anyone says the 40mm Pannies are too small, the wrist shot says it all. The 40mm PAMs are great watches.
Old 15 November 2006, 03:17 AM   #23
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a great post and a great purchase !

I can't believe that the Major wasted his cash on jewelry instead of a nice watch for himself.

Blinded by love I guess.
Old 15 November 2006, 04:27 AM   #24
mamas
"TRF" Member

great story and congrats for the watch
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 05:50 AM   #25
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
great story, 30% is unheard of in the states...i should make a trip out to quatar to pick up that pam 88

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 11:13 AM   #26
Goldsplinter

Truly a great post, was nice reading it, it's as if, that watch was meant for YOU.
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 11:32 AM   #27
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Fascinating post, Robert. Thank you! I read every word.

Enjoy your superb new timepiece.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 03:04 PM   #28
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
One of my favorite 40mm pannies, congrats!!

Wear it with Pride and PASSION! That dial is great in person.

As for "limited" all PAMs have a milisimation number, hence the limited production of the brand as a whole. They only produce around 38 thousand watches a year. So that XXX/XXX is for the H or I series.

Still, it shows the limited number of a stunning and unique watch.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 03:38 PM   #29
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Daren, What do you think about the 00 one? Still available as a brand new one at ADs? (it's dial simplicity speaks to me)
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2006, 11:32 PM   #30
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto View Post
Daren, What do you think about the 00 one? Still available as a brand new one at ADs? (it's dial simplicity speaks to me)
Daren is a base-head. At one point he had three in his watch box, the PAM09, the 00, and the 00logo. He's also had a 210 rad at one point (okay, he's had every pam produced at one point, lol).

Gotta love the simplicity of the base dial. Very appealing.