The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 February 2017, 09:08 AM   #571
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Any of you guys do some occasional day trading? If so, what is your general percentage goal before exiting?

Depends on the position.

There no simple rule of thumb.
Old 24 February 2017, 09:31 AM   #572
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Any thoughts on trading with Robinhood?
Old 24 February 2017, 09:32 AM   #573
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_herwig View Post
Just bought Nvda for an average price of $102.80 what do we think about this tech stock on here? I like it makes good graphics card. Technicals I see it going up to $108. Who knows this market is so over bought.
I feel as though it's on the high side, but I was holding it through several price targets. I think my average cost was around $40. Took the majority of the earning out of play last month. Hasn't been good to me since then.
Old 24 February 2017, 09:37 AM   #574
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
Quote:
Any of you guys do some occasional day trading? If so, what is your general percentage goal before exiting?
If a stock goes up three days in a row, sell before close or after hours day 3. Also, if you day trade never hold a stock over the weekend.

This may or may not be common knowledge to all-just a FYI.

If you are long disregard the above.
Old 24 February 2017, 04:41 PM   #575
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2h904 View Post
If a stock goes up three days in a row, sell before close or after hours day 3. Also, if you day trade never hold a stock over the weekend.

I have a ton of long positions but I gave day trading a shot for about a year with some cash I've bled off from dividends. This was about two years ago. I decided to play it very conservative though and only traded securities that I would not have an issue keeping long term in an effort to get the feel of day trading. I was hoping to surf the market if you will. Some positions I beat the year long term gain, some I didn't but I did ok. I had 3 blocks of cash for investment and eventually got stuck in all three after about a year of trading. Those finally came back to be gains and now I'm back in a good place to day trade again. I've had some luck so far this year. My goal has been .8 to 1% per trade. On good days higher. I would love to beat a 1% daily gain on days when I'm in the mix. Usually this was about 3 trades a week. Not aggressive day trading by any means but a start I suppose (still have a day job). Some of those positions ended up being swing trades though so I'm not opposed to that. I just found this thread and there's some good information here. I'm hoping to up my game this year now that I'm back in so scouring for tips and techniques.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 24 February 2017, 11:43 PM   #576
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
damn Canada inflation above 2% uh oh...

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 25 February 2017, 12:04 AM   #577
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

I understand there are different methods but day trading is by definition completing the trade during the trading day. If you're holding after close you aren't really day trading but swing trading.

This is an important rule because often in a day trade you take on a much much more volatile position which could absolutely destroy you between close and the following open.

In some respects, swing trading is just day trading for people with more appetite for risk.
Old 25 February 2017, 12:41 AM   #578
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I understand there are different methods but day trading is by definition completing the trade during the trading day. If you're holding after close you aren't really day trading but swing trading.

This is an important rule because often in a day trade you take on a much much more volatile position which could absolutely destroy you between close and the following open.

In some respects, swing trading is just day trading for people with more appetite for risk.

Could not have said it better.
Old 25 February 2017, 12:47 AM   #579
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Long story short, back in November I did very well with Dry Ships(DRYS). I can honestly say it was more luck than skill. Stocks rarely go from $5-100 in a week. Anywho, a portion of those profits I used to play penny stocks. To date I am down $8K-but I am not selling one share. I am playing with house money so I hope one of the stocks will pop via earnings, PR news or a takeover.

My dad and uncle have portfolios that they can live off of the dividend comfortably. I am not in that position-maybe one day with more seasoning under my belt.

Best of luck to all.
Old 25 February 2017, 02:50 AM   #580
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_herwig View Post
Just bought Nvda for an average price of $102.80 what do we think about this tech stock on here? I like it makes good graphics card. Technicals I see it going up to $108. Who knows this market is so over bought.
I sold all my clients positions in NVDA yesterday, $2.5 million worth, but we were up 44% in the trade and I actually sold 25%of the position at $115 weeks ago at 60% gain from point of entry. PE is 36 and Intel is pissed at hearing their name and CEO is on record saying he wants to crush them in a margin war.

I don't like it here at all, the momentum guys got out yesterday, a potential 8% gain ($108% as you say) for a potential 10-15% loss ($85-90 what I say) is not good math.
Old 25 February 2017, 02:52 AM   #581
azguy
Banned

Quote:
It's hard enough to be right, you want to be right in one day I don't mind frequent trading but give yourself weeks or months. Sell 25% of the position after 5% gain, 25% after 7.5%, 25% after 10% gain and let the rest ride until you want out.
Old 25 February 2017, 02:54 AM   #582
azguy
Banned

Anyone looking at Tesla, I'm OK with it here at $250. Upside $300, downside $225-235, good math
Old 25 February 2017, 02:55 AM   #583
armen34
"TRF" Member

I don't like it here at all, the momentum guys got out yesterday, a potential 8% gain ($108% as you say) for a potential 10-15% loss ($85-90 what I say) is not good math.[/QUOTE]

X2

It broke below the 50DMA yesterday too. Be careful!
Old 25 February 2017, 03:01 AM   #584
azguy
Banned

Yeah, not good, 90 could be next stop, check out chart, see how it always bounced along the 50 MDA

NVDA.jpeg.pdf
Old 27 February 2017, 11:14 AM   #585
armen34
"TRF" Member

Anyone looked at GV lately? I've been trading in and out for the past few weeks. I don't hold a position anymore. Earnings are coming out soon, any thoughts?
Old 27 February 2017, 11:43 AM   #586
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
How the heck do Day traders figure out their capital gains taxes on hundreds of transactions at the end of the year when their 1099 shows up.

That's gotta be a nightmare?
Old 27 February 2017, 11:55 AM   #587
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
How the heck do Day traders figure out their capital gains taxes on hundreds of transactions at the end of the year when their 1099 shows up.

The first pages of a 1099 shows the summary. Also companies usually compute it on the screen.

Another answer.. it's up to the CPA's ;)
Old 27 February 2017, 12:01 PM   #588
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's actually easy, the tax program auto uploads all the data.
Old 28 February 2017, 03:05 PM   #589
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Thank you.
Old 28 February 2017, 04:00 PM   #590
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Icon14

Quote:
Thank you.
I had about 100 short term trades last year. In the US you only have to report your total gains now, or at least last year. Didn't get audited
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 1 March 2017, 07:32 AM   #591
Swashplate

Anything on Robinhood.com as a trading platform?
Old 1 March 2017, 07:58 AM   #592
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Anything on Robinhood.com as a trading platform?
How long have you used it for? How do you like it?
Old 1 March 2017, 09:14 AM   #593
Swashplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
How long have you used it for? How do you like it?
A couple months now. No commissions and fees only if you trade with margin.

I like it but it makes me uneasy for some reason, i.e. what's the catch.

But with all of the fee wars going on perhaps they figured it out ahead of time.
Old 1 March 2017, 09:20 AM   #594
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
A couple months now. No commissions and fees only if you trade with margin.

I like it but it makes me uneasy for some reason, i.e. what's the catch.

But with all of the fee wars going on perhaps they figured it out ahead of time.
did you read the smallprint? companies here offer a similar free service but make money off your deposited cash by investing it themselves (i guess similar to a bank)
Old 2 March 2017, 05:12 AM   #595
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
ummm, what a day so far...

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 2 March 2017, 06:38 AM   #596
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Long story short, back in November I did very well with Dry Ships(DRYS). I can honestly say it was more luck than skill. Stocks rarely go from $5-100 in a week.
OMG, what a POS that stock is! I owned it many years ago, and last month I saw that it dropped like 20% in a day, so I started watching it. Read up more on it, and eventually I shorted it.

I've done some day trading, some index option trading and other stuff, but never shorted before. I made money in two hours, and got out happy.

Then the next day, I shorted it again. And it went up. And up.

I sold more.

And it kept on going up. By this point, I'm in too deep, and I decide to hold on for another day. It's got to go down, right? It's garbage. But I couldn't sleep, I couldn't relax, peeing blood, what if they do a margin call? What if I get in a short squeeze? OMG.

The next day, it opens up, then settles down a bit and holds. I'm feeling better, but I'm still down about $8K on the trade. I resolve to myself, when I get out of this, I'm going to buy a BLNR. If I'm going to piss away $8K, let me at least have something to show for it.

The next day it went down. Two days of no sleep, can't eat, can't relax, and I got out with a very nice profit. Natch it's dropped even more since then, popping back up a bit here and there, but it's still garbage. However, I'm not shorting it again. Geez, what a nightmare.

I decided to sell my Daytona before I buy the BLNR so that the wife doesn't kill me, but I will get one... soon.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 2 March 2017, 09:46 AM   #597
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
What if I get in a short squeeze? OMG.
I hate to tell you this, but you already were that's one reason the stock rallied. Shorts were covering their positions and it drove the price up.
Old 2 March 2017, 12:34 PM   #598
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I hate to tell you this, but you already were that's one reason the stock rallied. Shorts were covering their positions and it drove the price up.
You're probably right. It was a good lesson, fortunately, it only cost me sleep and worry, not money.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 3 March 2017, 12:26 AM   #599
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
OMG, what a POS that stock is! I owned it many years ago, and last month I saw that it dropped like 20% in a day, so I started watching it. Read up more on it, and eventually I shorted it.

I've done some day trading, some index option trading and other stuff, but never shorted before. I made money in two hours, and got out happy.

Then the next day, I shorted it again. And it went up. And up.

I sold more.

And it kept on going up. By this point, I'm in too deep, and I decide to hold on for another day. It's got to go down, right? It's garbage. But I couldn't sleep, I couldn't relax, peeing blood, what if they do a margin call? What if I get in a short squeeze? OMG.

The next day, it opens up, then settles down a bit and holds. I'm feeling better, but I'm still down about $8K on the trade. I resolve to myself, when I get out of this, I'm going to buy a BLNR. If I'm going to piss away $8K, let me at least have something to show for it.

The next day it went down. Two days of no sleep, can't eat, can't relax, and I got out with a very nice profit. Natch it's dropped even more since then, popping back up a bit here and there, but it's still garbage. However, I'm not shorting it again. Geez, what a nightmare.

I decided to sell my Daytona before I buy the BLNR so that the wife doesn't kill me, but I will get one... soon.

You had me at this...........
Old 3 March 2017, 10:26 AM   #600
towernick
Banned

Not sure if anyone is on Schwab's platform, but cost per equity trade drops to $4.95 tomorrow.
Closed Thread