The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 December 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
ianotter
"TRF" Member

using watchwinder?

Hi, I am considering purchsing a subc no date, I would only be wearing it at the weekends, would you recommend using a watch winder or does this prematurely age the movement
ianotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Maybe it has some effect, maybe not.

But, since it doesn't have any complications I wouldn't keep it on a winder. It'll be real easy to set Saturday morning and have it ready for the whole weekend, plus you may find yourself wearing it more often than just weekends...
Old 3 December 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Nah. I enjoy setting my Rolex. That is half the fun.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
I am always posting on TRF that a Watch Winder is a luxury that I find important, and all I have to worry about is the date. But then again a watch with a date has an AM/PM issue to worry about when setting the time, too.

For a No Date watch, you probably don't need a winder. It is easy to set the time when no consideration be made for which side of noon the time is set to.

As to premature wear, etc. - there is always a debate on this. It makes no sense to me to worry about it. If there is some miniscule difference, I am not sold on the faster wear being the watch always in motion, as it might actually tip the scale towards the watch that sits idle for a lot of the time. Who cares anyway, these are super-robust movements and eventually you'll be sending to an official Rolex Service Center (RSC) or an independent watchmaker for an overhaul.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianotter View Post
Hi, I am considering purchsing a subc no date, I would only be wearing it at the weekends, would you recommend using a watch winder or does this prematurely age the movement
Well speaking for myself just cannot see any point of putting extra wear on any watch,when its not needed to tell the time on the finest watch winder in the world, and most have two they are called wrists.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 11:30 PM   #6
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

It takes you all of 30 seconds to get the watch fully wound and set from completely stopped - a watchwinder is unneccessary for all watches, barring grand complication pieces (and they're a whole different ball game from any Rolex)

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
dbhughes
"TRF" Member

I never use one.
dbhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 12:22 AM   #8
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
I used to use one all the time, but now I find that setting the time and date is really no big deal.
kmleffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I would get one, you can get a nice Wolf on Ebay for under $100 preowned.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 12:48 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Don't need one but it wouldn't harm your watch
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Would not bother with a winder for such an uncomplicated watch!
Old 4 December 2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I used to think that a winder was absolutely necessary for my automatics. However, once I switched, and now own two Rolex watches, I read tons of threads on its use on TRF and deemed that it was unnecessary. As others have stated, it takes < 1 min to set my watch. If I'm going to wear one that has wound down, its the first thing I do in the morning. If I had a no date, I wouldn't put it on a winder, and as someone stated earlier, you might find yourself wearing it far more than you think so it will never wind down.

I packed my winder up, and am going to sell it on eBay.
Armyguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As to a winder, personal choice.. However, a watch running all the time is definitely going to "wear" more than one that is idle 70% of it's life. It's a bit like idling your car in the driveway all the time, but only driving it on the weekend...

What I don't see is buying a great watch that will outlast you, and then only wearing it on weekends..
Old 13 April 2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Z06Seal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
What I don't see is buying a great watch that will outlast you, and then only wearing it on weekends..
I don't like to bring up old threads on any forum, but I have to chime in on this one.... (since I've been looking at winders myself)

some of us have jobs that you would not bring a 13,000 dollar watch to. Very likely you can smash the watch. for people like us, we only get to wear them on our non work days. for me, that would be 15 days of the month. and I don't usually put it on if I end up being home on few of those days.

Would you wear your watch every day if let's say your family got you a rolex watch as a wedding gift, and you happened to be a soldier or a police officer? :)
Z06Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 08:50 AM   #15
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

One other thing about winders that's not often mentioned when the topic comes up is how you store the watches not being worn. If you leave them out that's one thing, but personally I keep mine secured. So unless you have a safe with an electrical outlet inside, you typically aren't going to be securing these valuables if you use a winder.

For a single Sub w/o date I just don't see the need for one unless you simply like to see your watch spinning on a display.
Old 13 April 2013, 09:01 AM   #16
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
I have winders but they are more for display then function.
My Daytona sits in one and looks pretty and my Yachtmaster I wear daily so it needs nothing.
I find my wife's winder useful because if she ever puts on her watch once it has stopped she will wear it for a month before even knowing that the time and date are wrong.
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I currently have a 2 X 2 winder/display case. The only watches I have on the winder are those which are a PITA to set, such as my Rolex non-quickset 1630, and some others (Bulova, Longines, etc) . It takes a LOT more than a few seconds to reset the date on the Rolex and more so on the others for the various complications. The rest of them, they live in the display section.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 09:09 AM   #18
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Personal preference. Is it necessary? No. A convience.....yes. I never had a winder until this week. I have 3 Rolex's, and bought a Wolf meridian. I do like having all of my watches wound and ready to go. I don't beleive it's a right or wrong question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
My wife bought me a 2 watch winder a few years ago. I use it for my other autos that I wear in rotation. My Rolexes when not worn are in the safe. I really need to get insurance for them then maybe I wouldn't be so neurotic about leaving them out.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Savior4116
Banned

Personally speaking, I have been collecting watches for many years. I have many different flavors in my watch collection.
I tend to wear my quartz watches more often. After 10-20 years you get tired of setting time and dates.
Needless to say your Rolex will out live your watch winder.
I keep mine in a temperature controlled environment without a watch winder. I have never had a problem with a watch.
All unnecessary friction will eventually cause wear.
Savior4116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 12:02 PM   #21
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I used one for a bit, not anymore. It takes just as long to put it in the box and take it out as it does to wind and set it. Much more fun to wind than it is to take it in and out of the box.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 12:23 PM   #22
Clutch Cargo
"TRF" Member

I have a Wolf 8 piece winder. IMHO, a winder is not necessary until you have so many watches that winding them once a day becomes too cumbersome.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote