The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 August 2016, 09:49 AM   #1
CanadaSam
"TRF" Member

Rare? Vintage "Tudor Rolex" - Pics Attached

Folks, this is my first post - I never thought of myself as a Rolex guy, but today I chanced upon a seemingly authentic, very old Tudor in the window of a (sketchy) pawnshop, a bargain at $400. The pawn dealer knew nothing about the watch - it was in a vintage Tudor Oyster Date box and thought that's what it was. He wound the watch and it appeared to work, and took off the back to show me a movement that appeared very high quality. I have NO idea what this is, but it is definitely not an Oyster Date.

IMG_2005_resized.jpg

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

Here's where things get weird. In an attempt to reassure myself that I hadn't gotten ripped off, I spent a few hours clicking through Ebay and couldn't find ANY watches with "Tudor" and "Rolex" together on the face like this. I then went to Royal de Versailles, an authorized Rolex dealer and repair shop, and they had no idea what it was and advised me to take it to the Rolex Canadian HQ located in midtown Toronto (I was also hoping that they would be able to service the watch and perhaps replace the scratched crystal, but they refused to touch it, said it could be worth a fortune).

Any ideas, folks, on what this might be??? I've included a picture of the face, back of the case, and the inner workings of the watch. Thanks!! PS. The watch keeps perfect time :)
CanadaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't what it says it is..
Old 27 August 2016, 11:09 AM   #3
CanadaSam
"TRF" Member

I know, some people don't believe genuine cobranded watches exist - but - the one place that they WERE sold is in CANADA in the 1940s - and I bought this from a pawnshop in downtown Toronto, so it's likely a Canadian model. If it's just a regular Tudor Oyster with an altered dial then it's a damn good fake... is there ANY way to tell?
Old 27 August 2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'd say it's a mid 1940s Tudor with probably ROLEX added later. Licensed casemaker is correct for your part of the world. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ght=Case+maker

Movement is a standard calibre 59 used in most Tudors up to that time, as far as I know.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 01:03 PM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

OP, you paid about what its worth
Old 27 August 2016, 06:27 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
The crown is likely incorrect. Nice watch
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 04:03 AM   #7
CanadaSam
"TRF" Member

Thanks Harry - Looks like you're right about the crown according to the local estate jewelry shop who just examined it. Now for its worth, they also said that they don't see any signs of tampering with the text on the dial, and that it probably is one of those legitimately dual-branded Tudor Rolexes. But he's not a Tudor expert, so he couldn't identify or appraise it. I guess my next step is the auction house? If anyone here can recommend someone who is qualified to properly authenticate and appraise this watch, please let me know - if it's worth $500 I'm going to replace the crystal and wear it because it looks cool, but on the off chance that it's extremely rare and/or valuable, it's going in my safety deposit box until I decide to sell it. Cheers :)