The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 March 2018, 11:47 AM   #1
emale
"TRF" Member

Icon4 6538 for sale in Toronto, Canada

Its for sale on kijiji. Something like craigslist.

Seller says all original. A member on a Canadian watch forum said the dial is probably not original.
Seller asking $70K US

emale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:36 PM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Clasp is not original, looks way newer and not big fan.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Matdaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex daytona
dial is a service dial hands aren't correct nor is the insert most parts for these I'm possible to find but when you do i think cheaper to buy a correct watch
Matdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Autavian
"TRF" Member

So it looks like an early service dial. Also has a service bezel. Tricky part with these are the cases. It’s sooo hard to tell authenticity through pictures. You need to handle it in person. Insert is also later, as with bracelet. If you have a chance to see it in hand I would. Good luck

Email:Autaviano@gmail.com
Autavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 05:54 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Looks pretty good to me. Even if it has service parts it still has a gilt dial which is so much more fun than the later matte version. Also hands are flat and nice looking.

Finding correct parts for a big crown is impossible so this is as good as this example will get. Price is of course much lower with service parts so this is a really cool watch to buy and wear. I don't think 70k is too wrong even with the later service parts since they are gilt. I'd be very happy to own this piece.
Old 29 March 2018, 02:52 AM   #6
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Need to inspect the watch in person as my buddy Autavian suggests. But from what I see, I like.

early service gilt dial, later 7836 folded bracelet.

The insert and bezel are correct for early service replacements. Rolex would actually ship the service steel coin bezels along with the mk3 inserts installed already from the factory if ordered like that by a watchmaker with a parts account. I know this because at one time I had a nos in package steel bezel with insert installed from the factory. So all of that is "service correct".

The case is nice and thick..

as far is price is concerned, I keep a very close eye on 6538's that sell in the market. Condition is everything, even with old service parts.

I would agree with Roh on the 70k price point for a gilt service dialed 6538 in really nice and complete condition.

A really nice and complete white service dialed 6538 is around the 55 to 60k.

Then for your run of the mill incomplete 6538 with service dial that has condition issues, is going to be low to mid 30's..

Parts cannot be had for 6538's or 5510's, so when a complete and issue free one comes on the market, they tend to sell at a premium.

As for the poor condition 6538's, they tend to stay in poor condition.

Common condition issues to look out for are cracked coin bezel, hand damage, dial damage, incorrect insert that doesn't stay seated in bezel, over polished thin case and cracked case. pretty common for 60 year old sport watches. so keep an eye out for these issues when inspecting them.
1030 cal could also be seized and or missing parts.

If all checks out, I would personally jump on it if you been looking for a nice 6538; they are hard to find.

The higher the original gilt 6538's keep selling for, the more the price goes up on the serviced ones.

just my 2 cents

please keep us posted if you pull the trigger, make sure to come back with lots of pics.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote