The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 March 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Legitimate check on 16710 bezel

Hi all, I recently purchased a 16710 "Coke", E serial with T11 bracelet. I understand that while the bracelet may be a mismatch with head, is still period correct as it is a single clasp. However, several members have highlighted that the '2' in the bezel are more "hooked" than normal.

Appreciate if the experts in here are able to chime in with comments. Do let me know if you need further pictures. Thank you in advance for your help.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 10:34 PM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
There are a couple of GMT bezel insert experts here (John?), but I can tell you that this insert does not have the typical "hooked 2s" that you see on aftermarket/fake inserts.

Here's an eBay special with those "hooked 2s." Doesn't look like the one on your watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.36.11 AM.jpg (103.6 KB, 391 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Cheers for the response Aaron. I've read and re-read what you wrote; the pic you posted- that does not look like the one on my watch. Did I interpret that correctly? Is the one on eBay aftermarket? Or is mine?

If I'm honest, to my untrained eye, the two look the same.

Old 28 March 2018, 12:29 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Cheers for the response Aaron. I've read and re-read what you wrote; the pic you posted- that does not look like the one on my watch. Did I interpret that correctly? Is the one on eBay aftermarket? Or is mine?

If I'm honest, to my untrained eye, the two look the same.
The one on Ebay is definitely fake/aftermarket, and looks different than yours. Just look at the tops of the 2s and how much more pronounced they are on the one in the photo. As for a definitive proclamation that yours is an authentic Rolex insert, I'll let others chime in. My point was that yours is not a typical "hooked 2" insert.

(I've been staring at inserts for a quarter-century, and although I can see a difference in this case, it's not always that obvious.)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 02:44 AM   #5
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
It looks to be an older insert but looks good to me
Old 28 March 2018, 03:32 AM   #6
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Aaron, I've spent a bit more time zooming into my 2's and looking at the curvature on the top. I think I kinda see what you mean. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I think I have to spend a whole lot more time looking at browsing at more pictures of GMT inserts; not even sure how many variants there are.

Thank you Henry for chiming in as well. As the watch is E serial, I believe sometime in 1990. It was reassuring to read your input.

Old 28 March 2018, 03:40 AM   #7
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
To my always still learning eye, the 2s look a little off, in particular the upper part where the curve terminates seems a little longer and more vertical.
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 04:00 AM   #8
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I think your safe!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 04:03 AM   #9
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Frank, Rob, cheers for the input. I'm going to attach a better pic of the 2's which I hope would help with identifying whether they are off (or not). Again, thank you all for the helpful feedback.

Took these just a moment ago, but only with a mobile phone. Unfortunately do not have my camera gear with me at the moment. Hope they are good enough.

(And yes, it is 2am where I am!)

Old 29 March 2018, 02:24 PM   #10
jw0n
"TRF" Member

So, just some more feedback - had a friend within RSC who has given the green light to the authenticity of the bezel. Additional feedback always welcome, but I think I am in the clear this time :-)

Old 29 March 2018, 03:17 PM   #11
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, just some more feedback - had a friend within RSC who has given the green light to the authenticity of the bezel. Additional feedback always welcome, but I think I am in the clear this time :-)

Good news and enjoy your coke :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2018, 03:29 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=jw0n;8430160]So, just some more feedback - had a friend within RSC who has given the green light to the authenticity of the bezel. Additional feedback always welcome, but I think I am in the clear this time :-)[/QUOTE

Here's a complete thread I put together on aftermarket vs genuine inserts.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126

And another thread on inserts:

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131

By the way, there are fake inserts without the "hooked 2s." Make sure sure read the complete posts referenced above.

Your insert is genuine...of course.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 04:06 PM   #13
jw0n
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=springer;8430320]
Quote:
So, just some more feedback - had a friend within RSC who has given the green light to the authenticity of the bezel. Additional feedback always welcome, but I think I am in the clear this time :-)[/QUOTE

Here's a complete thread I put together on aftermarket vs genuine inserts.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126

And another thread on inserts:

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131

By the way, there are fake inserts without the "hooked 2s." Make sure sure read the complete posts referenced above.

Your insert is genuine...of course.
Cheers for sharing jP. Those threads were excellent; I now have a better idea of what a hooked 2 looks like. Again, to me, the hook is not very apparent in my insert. Also, I have the "flat nose" 4's. If you had not pointed them out, I would have zero idea, so a massive THANK YOU for sharing!

Unfortunately, I do not have the competency to remove the insert to check on the thickness. Truthfully, even if I was able to, I would have nothing to compare to, and with my clumsy nature, I may go as far as to break the insert!

Your last line... was a little harder to interpret. Am I reading your opinion is that my bezel is genuine... correct?