The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 October 2018, 01:08 AM   #1
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Need advice on this 5512 - thanks !

I came across this 5512 for sale at a reputable dealer and while am quite intrigued by it, I have some doubts.

Its serial number 1.1 mil puts it at around 1964 which is supposed to be the gilt dial era but the dial on it is obviously a maxi dial from the late-70's to just before mid-80's (correct me if I'm wrong, sorry).

Priced at about $15k ... and personally I really like the maxi dial despite it not being "matched" to the watch production year.

My concerns are firstly, does this dial look original or re-finished, and if it's original, would this "non period correct" dial affect value much ?

The watch comes only with a Rolex Service Center receipt dated in the 90's for a chrystal replacement.

Would really appreciate comments & advice from experts here. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20181020_230600.jpg (200.1 KB, 125 views)
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Depends what you're looking for, but I don't see the point in spending this much money on a vintage Rolex that doesn't have its original dial. Also, those poor crown guards are polished down to nubs. (More minor, the insert is a lumi service replacement.)

If you're in the market for a gilt dial Sub, you'll need to significantly increase your budget. But if you're OK with a matte vintage Sub, you could find a very nice one at this price that has its original dial.

And yes, the example you posted would definitely suffer a big drop in value because of the dial.

Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Thanks for the advice - I'll give this a pass then. In my excitement, I didn't even notice the crown guards as you pointed out.

My preference is actually matt dial with the maxi plots, so back to the hunt ... :-)
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:16 PM   #4
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
Agree with the above, in the same price range you can find a top condition 5513 that is all period correct.