The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 12:36 AM   #1
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

How to swap "captured" end-links on a 7836?

Hi all,

to be totally honest, I've asked on VRF first, but given the level of engagement I'm getting (read: nil ) maybe I should have started here first :)

Hi All

I am learning the ropes on Rolex as my signature specifies ;)

Apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology - I'm trying to get some understanding of the interchangeability of the end-links... especially as I've just purchased a fine Tudor 7836/356B to replace the Rolex-clasped 7836/380 on my snowflake.

The plan was to put the 380's on the Tudor 7836, and possibly sell the other (Rolex) 7836.

The issue is, the 380 links currently on the Rolex 7836 are "attached" to the bracelet via some folded "intermediary" links, which basically make the connection between the last link of the bracelet and the end-link. As said, they are even folded tight around the springbars. Net, unless there's a trick that I'm not aware of, and given that I have to left hands and do not want to risk doing something silly myself, I cannot swap end-links on my 7836's...

This can only be clearer with a pic I guess. On the left you can see the 7836/380 and on the right the 7836/358B.

(and in the middle another 7836 of mine with some 382's also "attached" to it)

The solution to my isssue is "simple" (and expensive...) really - buy new spare 380's, fit them to the strap on the right... but I'd still like to understand what's happening here :)

Can some experienced member(s) please school me on the following:
1- what is the name of that "hinge" link which keeps the end link "stuck" to the last main link of the bracelet
2- whether there's a trick to separate these
3- whether both technologies were used in parallel during the same period?

Thank you,

Paul
Lonestar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Inner end part...
See here:
https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/6486-...7836-20mm.html
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Thank you - "Inner end" part it is, then

Am I understanding right that these have been replaced by standard middle-links in the late 70's?

And, more importantly - is there a non-destructive trick to remove the springbar stuck in them, to retrive the end-links?

Thank you for your help,

Best,

Paul
Old 7 December 2018, 01:16 AM   #4
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
The hinged link is called the connector, I'm told. I raised a similiar question recently about my 7836 bracelet with "fixed" 280 end pieces. A good watchmaker should have the right tools to swap the connector from one 7836 bracelet with the other.
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Lonestar19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koryong View Post
The hinged link is called the connector, I'm told. I raised a similiar question recently about my 7836 bracelet with "fixed" 280 end pieces. A good watchmaker should have the right tools to swap the connector from one 7836 bracelet with the other.
My issue is, I'm not a good watchmaker... and, frankly, I don't know any in the area that won't charge me 500 quids just to look at the bracelet itself, on top of maybe not even being able to do the job properly. So, no DIY, then?

Thank you!

Paul