The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 December 2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Dennis in MA
"TRF" Member

What does an "average" service cost?

I'm talking just a once-over, replace the gaskets, oil as necessary service. Just that typical 5-8yr once-over.

I'm enjoying looking at vintage Rolexes but I want to maintain that vintage look. I'd prefer to keep a few dings and scratches. A 30-40 y/o watch shouldn't look showroom new.

Thanks!
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 02:08 AM   #2
newsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
my rolex red 1680 has just gone in for a service to rolex blexley £355-00
all in
newsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
my rolex red 1680 has just gone in for a service to rolex blexley £355-00
all in
Almost identical to what I just paid to get my 1675 back running smoothly and scrubbed up nicely.
Old 25 December 2009, 03:12 AM   #4
adam78
"TRF" Member

Most independent watchmakers tend to be a bit less. Mine charges about $150 for a typical overhaul for Rolex.
Old 25 December 2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Speed
"TRF" Member

RSC in Northern CA wants $650.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Dennis in MA
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I'm considering a vintage and want to know what it will cost "extra" to get it checked out.
Old 25 December 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
I had an really beat up (grinding-when-self-winding, sick crystal, OK bracelet, dial, bezel and hands) vintage DJ rejuvinated for about $500, but yours sounds much better. Maybe budget $300-400 for a good job and and hope for a break. Good Luck!!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 02:56 PM   #8
onkyo
Banned

Find a good private watchmaker and you will save a bunch......
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2009, 04:51 PM   #9
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I use Dalton.

I forget what I paid, 240 maybe, but that included a case tube and crystal.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 01:31 PM   #10
oakalley
Banned

Watch: 1680,16750,16610
Tudor needs service

Who is Dalton? I live in MS and have a Tudor 9411 which needs service. mainly needs to have the correct Snowflake hands. Somewhere in the past, the hands were replaced with Mercedes (I Think)? i had one person tell me that the very late models of the 94110 had Mercedes hands when new. Anyone shed some light on that?
Thanks
Arthur
oakalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 04:49 PM   #11
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I don't know for sure what hands your Tudor should have.

Dalton is a watchmaker out of LA and posts here semi-regularly.

Run a search and you'll some of his work posted here by him and his satisfied customers.

His email is daltonrt@yahoo.com . Drop him a line, see what he says.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Freelance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I just paid $350 to have my 1603 (1575mvmt) serviced by local AWCI Watch Maker. Surprisingly, it is back keeping COSC time! The AD was in the $600 range...
Freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:23 PM   #13
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
I live in MA and sent mine to Mark Sirianni at www.Watchdoctor.biz. $150, complete overhaul, gaskets replaced, pressure tested, case and band polishing, and overnight shipping back. He even replaced my acrylic crystal for only $30.00 and did a hand and dial swap for free with a dial and hands that I had. Cant be beat!

He just serviced my 1987 Datejust that I got from my father and did not over-polish the watch case as some watchmakers do...it still had character and some small scratches that my Dad put on it over the last 22 years.

Last edited by RolexPete; 29 December 2009 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Added text.
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 07:37 AM   #14
Flash Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLamarine View Post
I live in MA and sent mine to Mark Sirianni at www.Watchdoctor.biz. $150, complete overhaul, gaskets replaced, pressure tested, case and band polishing, and overnight shipping back. He even replaced my acrylic crystal for only $30.00 and did a hand and dial swap for free with a dial and hands that I had. Cant be beat!

He just serviced my 1987 Datejust that I got from my father and did not over-polish the watch case as some watchmakers do...it still had character and some small scratches that my Dad put on it over the last 22 years.
Thanks for the info on Mark Siriannni. I checked out his website and his testimonials, and your referal from a fellow forum member. I will definitely send my watches to him when needed servicing. My Cartier's inside battery holder was damaged by a watchmaker when he changed the battery last. He did not tell me. I recently opened the case to change my own battery and found that it was damaged! The part that holds down the battery is really flimsy considered made by Cartier. I am sure Seiko makes a better one! I plan to send it to Mark for him to repair.
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 11:35 AM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
There are many competent watchmakers out there besides the RSC or a Rolex dealer. Most of hem charge $200 to $350 for a service.

If anyone in Texas needs one, look no further than Chamosa watch Repair on Preston Road in Dallas.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2010, 10:29 AM   #16
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I took a watch to a local here who charged me about $300.00. Then I paid $1400.00 to have what he FU repaired correctly.

IHMO the statement that 'any watchmaker will do' is not good advice.

I recommend using a 'known' good watchmaker like Dalton or Bob Ridley(Watchmakers International).

Also the price is going to depend on what needs to be done. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2010, 12:07 PM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I took a watch to a local here who charged me about $300.00. Then I paid $1400.00 to have what he FU repaired correctly.

IHMO the statement that 'any watchmaker will do' is not good advice.

I recommend using a 'known' good watchmaker like Dalton or Bob Ridley(Watchmakers International).

Also the price is going to depend on what needs to be done. =) maverick
Good advice Maverick, one should use a known, good, competent watchmaker. Get references before you leave your watch with someone you know nothing about. There are hundreds out there besides Dalton and Ridley. Buy the watchmaker like you were buying a watch. Reputation means everything. Those looking for bargains usually get one.

Mav, sorry about your misfortune. I've had to send a couple members here from the forum to my watchmaker that had watches "messed up" by other repair shops. I hate to see that happen.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k RedThunderBird
Watch repair prices

I want you guys to think about this for just a miniute........ These prices are very inexpensive but what are you really getting for that??? I cant answer that because if have not seen the repairs but I do know what I have seen come thruogh my shop. Many of simiular priced repairs. These watchmakers must cut some corners to get these things running. just like some of the old timer that tryed training me twenty years ago. I just seen it as shooting the professonal in the foot. It takes real education and real money to purchase proper tools not fleamarket speicials.These watches are very forgiving and can be just teased a little to make run for awhile. in long run your watch fails because poor oiling or inferior parts used like after market parts. or worn spots not corrected causing more damage to other parts.. as these older rolexes climb in age. parts will be harder to find and more money. thats really inevetable. but these guys, wow you with a cheap price but are not servicing the watch right. there not spending a week to tell you how well your watch keeps time and how long you should expect the running reserve to be. with those cheap prices how could they afford to get tools or education??? cheap repair are not the customers fault they just may not know what it really take to put vintage watches back as close to original running and time keeping..I would not go to another country to have a heart implant. becuase it was cheaper. These watches have such a beatiful mechnism and need tender proffessoinal care so they live long lives. LOL thats all I have im tierd anyways

If I sound a little disappointed im not... just there is not a lot of education for some collectors as well as new collector. and I am not the very best writer.... my recomendation is always support properly qualified watchmakers I hope I have helped. email me and I will tell you about all thats happening in our industrie

www.watchrestoration.com (professionals) www.watchmakers.com (professionals) and many more...

Thank you for your time
Michael the watchmaker
Horologier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 10:04 PM   #19
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologier View Post
I want you guys to think about this for just a miniute........ These prices are very inexpensive but what are you really getting for that??? I cant answer that because if have not seen the repairs but I do know what I have seen come thruogh my shop. Many of simiular priced repairs. These watchmakers must cut some corners to get these things running. just like some of the old timer that tryed training me twenty years ago. I just seen it as shooting the professonal in the foot. It takes real education and real money to purchase proper tools not fleamarket speicials.These watches are very forgiving and can be just teased a little to make run for awhile. in long run your watch fails because poor oiling or inferior parts used like after market parts. or worn spots not corrected causing more damage to other parts.. as these older rolexes climb in age. parts will be harder to find and more money. thats really inevetable. but these guys, wow you with a cheap price but are not servicing the watch right. there not spending a week to tell you how well your watch keeps time and how long you should expect the running reserve to be. with those cheap prices how could they afford to get tools or education??? cheap repair are not the customers fault they just may not know what it really take to put vintage watches back as close to original running and time keeping..I would not go to another country to have a heart implant. becuase it was cheaper. These watches have such a beatiful mechnism and need tender proffessoinal care so they live long lives. LOL thats all I have im tierd anyways

If I sound a little disappointed im not... just there is not a lot of education for some collectors as well as new collector. and I am not the very best writer.... my recomendation is always support properly qualified watchmakers I hope I have helped. email me and I will tell you about all thats happening in our industrie

www.watchrestoration.com (professionals) www.watchmakers.com (professionals) and many more...

Thank you for your time
Michael the watchmaker

Right. These sound pretty low to me too. My Red is in for service and just a simple clean/oil/regulate is $425. Add in half a dozen parts replacements and/or repairs, seals, etc... the final tally is several times that.

I am a new collector, and Bob Ridley has easily spent ~4 hours talking with me - helping to explain and educate in the manner you're describing.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2010, 10:45 AM   #20
RodS

Watch: 1966 GMT
Agree with you last 2 guys, my recent 1675 service by Rolex cost AU$2050, US$1900, and would have been another AU$400 if the balance wheel had needed replacement. With it's new Jubilee I virtually have a brand new authenticated, [I lost the paperwork decades ago] watch. Given that spares might not last forever I thought it well worth the considerable expense.
RodS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2010, 11:38 AM   #21
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakalley View Post
Who is Dalton? I live in MS and have a Tudor 9411 which needs service. mainly needs to have the correct Snowflake hands. Somewhere in the past, the hands were replaced with Mercedes (I Think)? i had one person tell me that the very late models of the 94110 had Mercedes hands when new. Anyone shed some light on that?
Thanks
Arthur

I have a chart that shows the 9411 9411/0 94110 with squre hands only if that helps.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2010, 12:20 PM   #22
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Good advice Maverick, one should use a known, good, competent watchmaker. Get references before you leave your watch with someone you know nothing about. There are hundreds out there besides Dalton and Ridley. Buy the watchmaker like you were buying a watch. Reputation means everything. Those looking for bargains usually get one.

Mav, sorry about your misfortune. I've had to send a couple members here from the forum to my watchmaker that had watches "messed up" by other repair shops. I hate to see that happen.
John it was a stupid thing to do and I should have know better. I know this watchmaker has done a many Rolex watches in the past that were sold on another site. I thought he knew what he was doing. What really hurt was he did some damage to the dial and I repeatedly warned him to be extra careful with the dial.

I have come across several Rolex trained watchmakers who should just do modern movements. It takes a watchmaker that knows what to do and equally important, what NOT to do. It takes someone who respects vintage watches.

Also the Valjoux 72 is not an easy movement to work on with all the complications. In my mind he never should have taken on the task. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 03:24 AM   #23
Horologier
"TRF" Member

If any one needs there repair questions answered or need a second opionion. I will do my best to help.... email me any time. I do not get on here every day like recently but My goal is to make sure professionals are working on these watches a parts of my voulnteer work is with professional watchmakerstraining organizations like AWCI & FWCA I want nothing to do with taking any of my fellow watchmakers work from them just that we are being held accountable for the wrok we present.... no corner cutting

Thanks
Miccahel the watchmaker
Old 8 January 2010, 04:06 AM   #24
Dennis in MA
"TRF" Member

Wow. My thread lives on. Continued great information. THANKS!
Old 8 January 2010, 07:59 AM   #25
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Dennis thats funny man!!!! live the dream and long live the threads
Old 8 January 2010, 08:21 AM   #26
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I had my Datejust serviced by Chris Wiley (WatchChest, Chris' Timepieces, etal) in Branson, MO for around $300.00, includes most parts if needed. He also returns the watch with his 3 year warranty. He did an excellent job of external refinnishing. Turn-around was 2 weeks.
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 01:40 PM   #27
Horologier
"TRF" Member

3 Year Warranty is AWESOME!!!!!! I like poeple who stand behind their work.... I will have to keep my eye for this guy

Michael The watchmaker
Old 8 January 2010, 02:50 PM   #28
mlee
"TRF" Member

My 16700 GMT Master is at RSC NY now. The basic service quote from the AD was either $700 or $750. The total is going to be $1400 with a new dial, hands, and bracelet.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 08:13 AM   #29
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for your time
Michael the watchmaker
I have to disagree with you big time. See my post #13 above regarding Mark Sirriani at www.watchdoctor.biz. Alot depends on overhead, etc. One doesn't need to "cut some corners" to provide quality service at a reasonable price. I was glad to have found him after getting overcharged by Rolex New York and another watchmaker on the West coast. I did have 3 watches serviced at RSC NY until I did research and decided to use a competent watchmaker. Glad I did, and will from now on.

And Dennis, did you ever get your vintage Rolex? Get it serviced?
Old 10 January 2010, 08:26 AM   #30
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for your time
Michael the watchmaker
Oh, just had a chance to check out the website you posted. $125 for an estimate? Oyster Perpetual service for $650 and up? No thanks!