The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
tlt
"TRF" Member

Any tips on buying a 16600?

Hi, I've had my eye on the older model sea dweller for a while. This will be my first Rolex, but I own Omegas, Sinns, etc., so I know a little about automatic watches.

I will likely make a purchase online, from a reputable source with lots of feedback and a return policy. I'm not too worried about getting an outright fake, but getting a cobbled together "Frankenstein" watch is somewhat of a concern. Is this much of a problem for this particular watch?

I think I'll try for an older model with the lug holes. Did the 16600 change much, other than lugholes, over its run?

I'm not asking for price info as I can figure that out on my own, but would it make you nervous to buy a watch that has been on a popular auction site (from a seller with tons of feedback and a brick and mortar store based in the US) if the price seems fair but the watch has been up for many months? That situation makes me think everybody else must know something I don't. That said, maybe a lug holed sea dweller just isn't all that popular with the general population.

How much value do you experts place on a watch having the box, books, and papers? Sure, I'd love to have that stuff, but not for an extra grand.

I suppose when I receive the watch, I should have a dealer open the case to make certain it is the real thing, since I don't know that I could tell a genuine article from a really good fake, without something to compare it to in hand. This is kind of a tough choice, since I usually don't like to open dive watches unless it's really necessary. Thoughts on this?

This is kind of vague and rambling, but I guess what I'm asking is what kind of things would you, the expert, be on the lookout for if you were in the market for a Sea Dweller?

Thanks!
tlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
elevensheep
"TRF" Member

The good news is that there are plenty of 16600 for sale, so you have the luxuary of choosing for the best deal.

Lug hole vs no lug hole - makes no difference to me personally, but some prefer the lug hole version as it makes changing the wrist band easier

I would buy from reputable source - there are many 16600 for sale on this forum, buy from someone with good references (e.g. Davidsw)

I would insist on box and papers. Some don't care, but having these makes resell alot easier

hope this helps
elevensheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
1) Make sure the seller is reputable 2) inspect the watch when you get it 3) condition is #1 when you buy pre-owned
bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum! All the opinions below are just my humble ones...YMMV

Buy the seller first, then focus on the watch...

If you're looking to keep the SD you buy, then a bit of paper and a box isn't worth the trouble of storing them...

If saving money is a goal, and if you already have an indie watchmaker with a Rolex Parts account, then finding a genuine one in need of some TLC will get you a better deal.

On doing a verification, yes that is a point to consider - but if you did the first thing I mentioned first, then should be a simple matter.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2013, 09:39 PM   #5
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I would start with the FS setion here, many reputable sellers on TRF. You could PM several (justrolexes, bodybump, davidsw) to let them know exactly what you are looking for. Check out the who's who section of the FS section and I bet you'll have several to choose from in very short order. If you're going to go with an older SD I'd vote for the lug hole version myself.
Welcome to TRF, great bunch here!
Keep us posted on your journey and good luck.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote