The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 March 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Is this what is to become of vintage Rolex dial?

I mostly post in the main forum, but I feel compelled to post this here to hopefully be involved in a discussion about the weathering, aging, fading... destruction of vintage dials.

I have seen very weathered Rolex watches listed at very high prices. Tropical dials, ghosted bezels, unpolished, etc. seem to be of interest to numerous collectors.

However, I came across this: $5000 Rolex dial aged by radium

And I couldn't help but wonder... Is this the fate of all vintage Rolex dials? When someone pays $30,000 or $50,000 or $100,000 for a rare vintage Rolex Sub or GMT, what will become of the value of that watch in 10, 20, or 30 years? Will a dial like the one in the link listed above be a sign of a very special, rare, super expensive watch? Or will it seriously devalue that watch?

What can be done about it for collectors to maintain value? Do they need to replace with a period correct dial that is in better condition? It won't be original anymore. Should they have Rolex replace it? Would that significantly harm the value or help the value? Should they have a professional dial refinisher fix it? How would that affect the value?

I know I wouldn't want a watch with the dial in the link above. I am assuming the seller replaced the dial and now has this one available for someone who might be interested.

Rolex stopped using radium for a very good reason... radiation poisoning. Do people want to wear something like that on their wrist? Even if left in a dark vault, the radium will destroy hands and dials.

Is it better for a vintage Rolex to be all original and basically unusable due to deterioration of the dial and the risk of radiation poisoning, or is it better to have it fixed up so that it looks good and won't cause radiation poisoning?

I have heard people talk about watches needing to be all original to be the most valuable. But does there come a point when being all original is trumped by being useful and legible?

It seems that vintage Rolex sports watches might have a curve of increasing value until they end up deteriorating too much.

What is the consensus on the best move to make in order to ensure value retention when a dial and hands are eroded too much. How much is too much? Where is the line?

I think it would be beneficial for all Rolex enthusiasts and collectors to be on the same page so we can all know and perpetuate what the consensus opinion is on the matter. Buying a watch with a dial that will erode into an eyesore can't be the right move, can it? It is too bad that lessons such as not using radium are often learned the hard way. Too bad these beauties face such a future.

Oh and by the way... will this eventually happen to ALL Rolex dials with radium? What about trititum? I feel like the new dials with new scientifically formulated paints and inks and lume will last much, much longer. I hope I'm right.

Last edited by thomaswentworth; 27 March 2018 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 04:43 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Undamaged is the keyword. Things can fade beautifully and then command a big premium. Sometimes opportunists use the same buzzwords for damaged things such as the ebay dial. Radium is normally not the biggest issue. The big issue is humidity and poor watchmakers making bad decisions.

Difficult to say what exactly happened to that ebay dial. Trust me when I say it didn’t just turn to that by age and radiation from the lume. My guess is that it is water damaged and then cleaned somehow ruining it.
Old 27 March 2018, 05:51 AM   #3
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Gosh

now there's a thought or two, From my side I have a 1960's 5513 with service replacement dial and hands, at the time of purchase I didn't understand the implications of this, then the purist messed with my head about how much it had been devalued etc etc etc..... fortunately a TRF member step in and pm me and explained a few things echoing what you have touch upon, to close my watch was serviced by Rolex in 2012 and as an advisory Rolex mention the service dial and hands are beginning to deteriorate.... and so the cycle begins again.
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I would not agree that it's a radium aging. On radium dials that I have seen, aging because of radium is actually lighter. See below.

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 03:02 AM   #5
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I would not agree that it's a radium aging. On radium dials that I have seen, aging because of radium is actually lighter. See below.

Ok thanks. That is helpful to know!
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 03:30 AM   #6
saskmh
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure I would agree with the radium making the dial lighter. Radium burn is a common issue. I have a vintage Bulova from the 50's with radium lume and you can see the dark radium burn marks on the dial from where the hands sat for years in a drawer.