The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 November 2018, 04:57 AM   #1
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

5270p: go or no-go

Just received notification from my AD that my 5270p has arrived, a bit earlier than expected so might indicate demand is not that strong. But not fully convinced. And might be a watch that won’t hold value well, so selling after some months might be expensive. Should get a 5740 within 12 months and that is a definite go for me.

Thoughts on the 5270p?
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 05:26 AM   #2
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

No offence but this type of post really irritates, why order the rudy thing in the first place, surely you saw it and tried it on prior. Have the balls to purchase what you like rather than seek a forum approval ...

Btw I think the watch is sublime, I have the R.
JBP99p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP99p View Post
No offence but this type of post really irritates, why order the Rudy thing in the first place, surely you saw it and tried it on prior. Have the balls to purchase what you like than seek a forum approval ...
someone is having a bad day!

I think the OP is trying to canvas views from other forum members on the collectibility of the watch especially given that demand seems to be a lot lower than was initially expected. Nothing wrong in that in my book.

Back to the matter in hand - if you are not convinced then you should pass on it. I personally do not like the shade of the dial (I love salmon dials but this isn't quite salmon) especially if you think you may move it on in the near future.

Wait for the 5740 - that is guaranteed to make you happy!!
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 05:31 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If you are looking for a PC chrono then the 5270p w salmon dial is a great choice as far as looks.

Imho. Value wise, likely not going to perform well while your here to enjoy it.

Alternatively the pieces that would perform well may be at their height of performance right Now?

So buy what you like.

As far as the 5740, that is an a,axing watch in a variety of aspects... but I would still prefer the choice that is WR to 120M as something that could serve me as a daily wear.

Old 25 November 2018, 05:33 AM   #5
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

No offence taken, but like with many new patek models, not easy to find them and try them on before ordering. And if you wait to try it on first, it might be discontinued by the time you should get it.

My AD is clear: better order it unseen as soon as released in Baselworld and then decide once you can try it on. No doubt they have other people on the list for the watch.
Old 25 November 2018, 05:34 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
No offence but this type of post really irritates, why order the rudy thing in the first place, surely you saw it and tried it on prior. Have the balls to purchase what you like rather than seek a forum approval ...

Btw I think the watch is sublime, I have the R.
Sounds a bit offensive. A purchase at that price without due consideration is not a reflection of “balls”

Op didn’t take it home and try to flip it, he just put his name on a list to secure his opportunity to purchase after he’s had time to consider. If OP passes, it gets offered to the next person, no harm no foul.
Old 25 November 2018, 05:35 AM   #7
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
someone is having a bad day!

I think the OP is trying to canvas views from other forum members on the collectibility of the watch especially given that demand seems to be a lot lower than was initially expected. Nothing wrong in that in my book.

Back to the matter in hand - if you are not convinced then you should pass on it. I personally do not like the shade of the dial (I love salmon dials but this isn't quite salmon) especially if you think you may move it on in the near future.

Wait for the 5740 - that is guaranteed to make you happy!!
Not at all! Had a great day thanks, but if you can’t make up your own mind but regarding collectability who really knows, plus life is too short to worry, but it if you like it!

Ok I might have come across a little harsh in retrospect, my apologies, I assumed the OP had had the opportunity to sample first, the forum at times just seems to be going the way of many others where speculation regarding market retention is the sole driver of any purchase.

I hope the OP buys it as I truly believe it’s a lovely watch.
Old 25 November 2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Go try it out and decide.

I think this dial config will go up in price (if that's important).
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Sam Philip
Banned

I had a 5270P on order but cancelled it. One of the reasons was I didn't want to pay MSRP, I think this watch would be available below MRSP just like the G and R versions.

I would wait for the 5740G, I was told the demand was significantly higher for this piece compared to the 5270P.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 06:09 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the 5740 has stolen some its thunder otherwise it would have been a sure fire hit, now it is in doubt. 5740 is the sure thing, but wait lists and premiums will reflect that.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 06:10 AM   #11
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
OP, I’m in a similar position. My 5270p is due to arrive soon, and it will be mine if I choose to move forward. And contrary to the nasty and presumptive comment above, I wasn’t able to try it on before expressing my interest. So I have to decide only after I see it on my wrist for the first time.

Good luck on your decision. I think when you see it, you’ll know what to do.

Best.
Old 25 November 2018, 06:23 AM   #12
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
OP, I’m in a similar position. My 5270p is due to arrive soon, and it will be mine if I choose to move forward. And contrary to the nasty and presumptive comment above, I wasn’t able to try it on before expressing my interest. So I have to decide only after I see it on my wrist for the first time.

Good luck on your decision. I think when you see it, you’ll know what to do.

Best.
Nasty comment! Not quite in my view but we all see things differently naturally. There are many opportunities to view the latest pieces, most with a passion seek them out and hence know what they are buying beforehand, it just takes a little effort to get to such events on ocassion though your AD should be inviting you in any case if you are a valued customer, every AD normally has a week with the full collection.
Old 25 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #13
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nasty comment! Not quite in my view but we all see things differently naturally. There are many opportunities to view the latest pieces, most with a passion seek them out and hence know what they are buying beforehand, it just takes a little effort to get to such events on ocassion though your AD should be inviting you in any case if you are a valued customer, every AD normally has a week with the full collection.

Those who know me know I’m passionate about watches, yet I still wasn’t able to make it to the viewing of the recent Patek releases. Are you suggesting I didn’t try hard enough? Do you once again presume to know everything about everyone? Or, are you just trolling?

Best.
Old 25 November 2018, 06:47 AM   #14
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those who know me know I’m passionate about watches, yet I still wasn’t able to make it to the viewing of the recent Patek releases. Are you suggesting I didn’t try hard enough? Do you once again presume to know everything about everyone? Or, are you just trolling?

Best.
I never questioned your passion for watches, if you remember we shared a private pm regarding the 5270R and I continue to enjoy your posts. I was just saying that from my experience here in the UK, ADs generally have a week with the latest collection and with minimal effort it’s not hard to learn where it is doing the rounds. It wasn’t my intention to fall out with any forum members, my frustration expressed in my original post was born out of the continued speculative aspect of what seems most purchased lately. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 25 November 2018, 07:08 AM   #15
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Just received notification from my AD that my 5270p has arrived, a bit earlier than expected so might indicate demand is not that strong. But not fully convinced. And might be a watch that won’t hold value well, so selling after some months might be expensive. Should get a 5740 within 12 months and that is a definite go for me.

Thoughts on the 5270p?
I would much rather own a 5270P than a 5740. If you keep it, value won't be as much of an issue.
Old 25 November 2018, 07:17 AM   #16
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never questioned your passion for watches, if you remember we shared a private pm regarding the 5270R and I continue to enjoy your posts. I was just saying that from my experience here in the UK, ADs generally have a week with the latest collection and with minimal effort it’s not hard to learn where it is doing the rounds. It wasn’t my intention to fall out with any forum members, my frustration expressed in my original post was born out of the continued speculative aspect of what seems most purchased lately. Nothing more nothing less.

Understood. And I appreciate the response.

In California, the Basel viewing event at one AD I know was for one day only. I can’t say with certainty how long Patek spent at other ADs around the country.

And I agree that lately there seems to be a big concern (potentially speculative in nature?) about future prices of purchases. In this case, however, I do believe the concern of value retention is warranted given the unfortunate lack of it on the other 5270s. The 5270p is expensive, and value retention is certainly a big factor in my decision making process. While I have no intention of flipping it, I want it to retain value.

But at the end of the day, my heart may trump all when I see it. We shall see. And I look forward to hearing the OP’s thoughts after he sees it, too.

Best.
Old 25 November 2018, 07:59 AM   #17
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Understood. And I appreciate the response.

In California, the Basel viewing event at one AD I know was for one day only. I can’t say with certainty how long Patek spent at other ADs around the country.

And I agree that lately there seems to be a big concern (potentially speculative in nature?) about future prices of purchases. In this case, however, I do believe the concern of value retention is warranted given the unfortunate lack of it on the other 5270s. The 5270p is expensive, and value retention is certainly a big factor in my decision making process. While I have no intention of flipping it, I want it to retain value.

But at the end of the day, my heart may trump all when I see it. We shall see. And I look forward to hearing the OP’s thoughts after he sees it, too.

Best.
I hope you too add it to your collection, would sit nicely along with your 5170P. Let us know your reaction when you see it and ultimately what your rationale is for buying or passing.

I will be attending an event organised by my fantastic AD tomorrow which is the culmination of a week having the 2018 collection in store all week, though I had been to many events prior doing the same. I’ll try and take a shot!
Old 25 November 2018, 09:09 AM   #18
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Love the 5270p!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 09:12 AM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5270P will be a great watch to have in one's collection long-term.

If you concern yourself with value retention too much, it will prevent you from purchasing and owning some great watches.

If you want to play safe and not lose any money, then best to stay with Nautilus/Aquanaut. However if you want to own a Patek PCC in platinum, there aren't a whole lot of other alternatives - 5970P, 3970P or the 5271P, unless you go vintage and then you are looking at a different class of watches.

I personally am not a fan of the salmon dial. But get it only if you love it!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:16 AM   #20
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The 5270P will be a great watch to have in one's collection long-term.

If you concern yourself with value retention too much, it will prevent you from purchasing and owning some great watches.

If you want to play safe and not lose any money, then best to stay with Nautilus/Aquanaut. However if you want to own a Patek PCC in platinum, there aren't a whole lot of other alternatives - 5970P, 3970P or the 5271P, unless you go vintage and then you are looking at a different class of watches.

I personally am not a fan of the salmon dial. But get it only if you love it!
I agree and seems like the majority in these forums acquire pieces based on current demands/trends and value retention as opposed to what they really like...so sad.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:25 AM   #21
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
I agree and seems like the majority in these forums acquire pieces based on current demands/trends and value retention as opposed to what they really like...so sad.
I do think there is as much talk of "investment potential" here on TRF these days as there is on an investment forum where I am a member. I don't really understand it when it comes to Subs, and Day-Dates, but can understand that on a $180k watch, it may be more of a consideration. Especially if the decision is, "do I buy it now for $180k or maybe get it next year for $140k?" Emotion and Future Expected Value need to be considered and balanced, I guess. How you weight them depends on how passionate you are and how wealthy you are, I suppose.

Me, I'd be happy with a lowly 5170P!
Old 25 November 2018, 10:28 AM   #22
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If you don’t take it please let me have your AD name as I cannot find one anywhere available for immediate sale!
Old 25 November 2018, 10:32 AM   #23
Muxi
"TRF" Member

The matter of value retention is multi-faceted in my opinion. For one, it comforts some people from the guilt of an extravagant indulgence by thinking its real cost is only the spread. Another aspect of value retention is desirability. People want to collect objects that other people desire or admire. Value retention also reflects on the potential heirloom piece of the reference. And some people perceive value retention as a collective view of enthusiast preference over a dial type or series. Some people are also just not as resolute as others in the decision-making process.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:31 AM   #24
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5270p: go or no-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
The matter of value retention is multi-faceted in my opinion. For one, it comforts some people from the guilt of an extravagant indulgence by thinking its real cost is only the spread. Another aspect of value retention is desirability. People want to collect objects that other people desire or admire. Value retention also reflects on the potential heirloom piece of the reference. And some people perceive value retention as a collective view of enthusiast preference over a dial type or series. Some people are also just not as resolute as others in the decision-making process.

Great inputs! It’s a strange hobby. We normally buy what we like but at a certain price point we look for acceptance or justification or rationale. I think that’s what the OP was seeking. It’s not always that we buy for speculative investment or value retention but it’s always nice to know that we score a good one.

For the 5270 model, it would appear that the model has not been a huge hit compared to the 5970 among collectors. I would definitely want to get one but only at a certain price point and if it would be automatic. I actually had difficulty understanding a PC that’s manually wind. Can’t do that and don’t think it’s really practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:41 AM   #25
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think if you are a person that buy a watch and you almost never sell or flip then who cares buy the 5270P. But if you know the grey dealers by their first name then don’t buy it because you are gonna loss too much money. Go 5970P instead
Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:54 AM   #26
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I think if you are a person that buy a watch and you almost never sell or flip then who cares buy the 5270P. But if you know the grey dealers by their first name then don’t buy it because you are gonna loss too much money. Go 5970P instead
Cheers

Haha. Well said.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 12:41 PM   #27
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think it’s a great watch but yes you’re going to take a bath when you sell it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 02:03 PM   #28
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

The "definite go" wins every time.
Old 26 November 2018, 12:15 AM   #29
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Will update after I try it on, probably next week.
Old 26 November 2018, 12:23 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you like the watch you should get it. Value retention is not a reason to buy this watch.The 5270 line-up has not done well on resale and I would expect the P model to behave the same. My thinking is the market for manual wind PCs is just not that good as Owners soon realize it is a headache to wind the watch everyday.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patek 5270p