The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2018, 05:23 PM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Question for 5712r owners regarding the strap/clasp

I'm seriously thinking about this watch vs the 5726, in the event i cannot land a 5712/5711 (in talks now with my AD, but the wait time may be prohibitive).

Of the 4 models, the 5712r appears to have the highest likelihood of losing value over time, as it's a PM piece.
Having said that, I'm not terribly concerned about that if it ends up being a piece I love and that feels great on the wrist.
From pics, I absolutely love it.

However............I've heard that there are clasp/fit issues with the Nautilus leather strap and clasp and wanted clarification on this before I took this plunge and possibly regretted it.
1. What exactly are these issues for those in the know........ is it a matter of the watch sitting somewhat 'lopsided' on the wrist as I've heard, or is it something else?
2. is there a remedy for the problem or has PP fixed it since this issue was first discovered?
3. Is it not worth the headache and better to stick with a bracelet, in which case I would lean more towards the 5726, which will likely hold value better if I decide not to keep it for more than a few years?

looking forward to reading the responses.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 07:02 PM   #2
AJW232
"TRF" Member

I don’t have the 5712r, but have the 5980r on strap which some people comment on having the same issue with. I think it depends entirely on the shape/size of your wrist. When I first put it on when I bought it I could feel a noticeable difference in weight from the watches I was used to but now I propbably wear mine about 60% of the time and find it extremely comfortable. The straps can take a little while to break in but once they do I have no issues with how the watch sits or fits. The only issue is I’ve now ended up with 5 straps!!!
AJW232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:59 PM   #3
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW232 View Post
I don’t have the 5712r, but have the 5980r on strap which some people comment on having the same issue with. I think it depends entirely on the shape/size of your wrist. When I first put it on when I bought it I could feel a noticeable difference in weight from the watches I was used to but now I propbably wear mine about 60% of the time and find it extremely comfortable. The straps can take a little while to break in but once they do I have no issues with how the watch sits or fits. The only issue is I’ve now ended up with 5 straps!!!
x2 about the strap needs to break in. It took my 5712r strap a few months to break in as well. As far as not a perfect fit, it’s no different than any watch without a micro adjustment clasp. The clasp sets in the holes in the strap, not friction fit, so it can always be too lose or too tight.

I like mine and likely will never flip.
Old 6 December 2018, 10:31 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
PP straps are not as rigid as say a Breitling or AP strap so should not be an issue, wore a 5711R on strap and found the quality of it top notch and comfy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:13 AM   #5
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

thanks for the responses so far.......

.........definitely reassuring, as I had heard something about a lopsided fit caused by the clasp.
My wrist is 6.5", round and not flat.

My current collection is:
1. Hulk
2. Two 11650 Daytonas (black and white, with the plan to probably sell one eventually)
3. Unworn RO 15400 silver/white dial (will likely be sold as I don't love the fit, much to my dismay as I was expecting this to be my favorite piece).
4. GO Panomaticlunar (as my main watch I wear to work/dress watch)
5. Panerai 1312
6. I'm adding the Rootbeer GMT for Xmas.

The TT GMT will be my first partial PM piece, and I'm not sure how long I will keep it............ it's a hard to come by piece these days and I like the way it looked on me.
Prior to the decision to get the GMT (or assuming I flip it in a year or two), my plan was to add a PM piece but not break the bank doing so.
The piece that I have always loved is the RG Daytona on OF, which is why I just assumed I would flip one, or both, SS Daytonas, for this piece, down the road.
But now I think it would be foolish to sell both 116500's, and when looking at other gold watches and my desire to land my first Nautilus, I starting wondering about the relative value proposition of the 5712r.

Cool movement and case back, rose gold with the brown/black dial, and only $4k more than the SS 5712...............
downside is that it likely won't hold value anywhere near as well, but right now is selling for $10-12k above retail on the grey market.
If I'm spending $45K+, I certainly don't want to take a beating in 3-5 years if I decide to sell. Hopefully I love it and it's a keeper.

Compare that to another gold/sport watch option with a more comfortable strap (so I've heard) in the 5167r, a watch that would be $10k cheaper, but I'm not sure would be a watch I could dress up as well as the 5712r.
I think I would rather have the rose gold Daytona over the 5167r, although I hear the OF wears very different from the strap on the 5167. I've tried on the OF, but not the aquanaut.

Thoughts/advice?
Old 7 December 2018, 03:55 AM   #6
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Could just be me, but may sound a bit like you're settling on the 12R? For me, at this price point, I would not settle for something because its more available. Personally, I prefer the Naut in the bracelets because I like the look better and feel its more versatile. But assuming I'm wrong, if you love the 12R, I'd go for it because it is a stunning watch and it's too difficult to predict what the future value of it might be. Just make sure you love before you buy to increase your chances of not having to sell.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:39 AM   #7
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
x2 about the strap needs to break in. It took my 5712r strap a few months to break in as well. As far as not a perfect fit, it’s no different than any watch without a micro adjustment clasp. The clasp sets in the holes in the strap, not friction fit, so it can always be too lose or too tight.

I like mine and likely will never flip.
+ 1

Never had a problem.
The clasp sets in the holes in the strap with a big gold screw and they do not deliver screwdrivers. The PP dealer has a special screwdriver I think made of plastic or another soft material.
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:46 AM   #8
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Could just be me, but may sound a bit like you're settling on the 12R? For me, at this price point, I would not settle for something because its more available. Personally, I prefer the Naut in the bracelets because I like the look better and feel its more versatile. But assuming I'm wrong, if you love the 12R, I'd go for it because it is a stunning watch and it's too difficult to predict what the future value of it might be. Just make sure you love before you buy to increase your chances of not having to sell.
Pete,

It's a tough one, in that I don't have access to either model (SS or PM) so I have no choice but to decide sight unseen.

I just think that PM 5712 with that color combo of RG with a brown/black dial and brown strap would look killer, but maybe I would feel the same way about a 5712 SS........ IDK.

Plus, there is that small part of me that says if I'm spending that kind of money, shouldn't I get a PM piece rather than something SS.......
Old 7 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #9
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Pete,

It's a tough one, in that I don't have access to either model (SS or PM) so I have no choice but to decide sight unseen.

I just think that PM 5712 with that color combo of RG with a brown/black dial and brown strap would look killer, but maybe I would feel the same way about a 5712 SS........ IDK.

Plus, there is that small part of me that says if I'm spending that kind of money, shouldn't I get a PM piece rather than something SS.......
I agree that the RG with that dial looks fantastic! I understand your reasoning with the PM but at the end of the day, gotta go with what you want the most! Check out some local grey's to see if they have some of these models in stock for you to try on.. I did that recently as well
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 06:28 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d only pivot to 5726. I don’t see a firm valuation on 5712r long term, and I prefer a bracelet. I’d hold for 11/12 (if able) first but understand losing patience
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 06:12 AM   #11
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
I have a 5712r. The reason i bought it?

Back in the day all three versions g,r and a were almost freely available.

I put them side by side. The 12r was -to my eyes- the most special. It felt warm. The other two left me cold.

One thing though, the 12a is the single most comfortable watch i ever tried on. Just perfection.

The 12r feels more special on my wrist.

Re comfort, the strap needs a little break in and then it’s nice to wear albeit a little top heavy.

I used to wear it daily, now for the fear of damaging it, i keep it for special occasions.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 06:35 AM   #12
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics View Post
I have a 5712r. The reason i bought it?

Back in the day all three versions g,r and a were almost freely available.

I put them side by side. The 12r was -to my eyes- the most special. It felt warm. The other two left me cold.

One thing though, the 12a is the single most comfortable watch i ever tried on. Just perfection.

The 12r feels more special on my wrist.

Re comfort, the strap needs a little break in and then it’s nice to wear albeit a little top heavy.

I used to wear it daily, now for the fear of damaging it, i keep it for special occasions.
thanks for the feedback. That's helpful to hear.

You said the 5712 on a bracelet is the most comfortable watch you've ever tried on, which means the 5711 must be equally comfortable.

I've read comments by others saying they feel the strap is much more comfortable than the bracelet, which actually surprised me.

The more I look at the 5712 on bracelet, the less enamored I am with the dial. But for the some reason, in rose gold on a strap, it just seems 'right'.
So in SS, I would go 5711 (pipe dream right now), then 5726 (perhaps strap over bracelet, but would take either).
In PM, the 5712r gets the nod, and may be the best of all the options........if only I could try them all on.