The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 September 2020, 12:48 AM   #31
Reign
"TRF" Member

Rolex Dubai AD - RANT!

Delete
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:55 AM   #32
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

Why is it a “scam”? There is overwhelming demand for the product. They are allocating it to more valuable customers due to the shortage of supply. For someone who has never purchased from them before, and is not likely a high roller who will be buying PM watches from them soon, what would you suggest they do instead?

I understand the frustration, but those sports models are in high demand. They are available at market price readily from grays, but if you want to get them for below market, it’s not going to be easy.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 01:28 AM   #33
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Don’t be upset. Understand the demand is so strong right now, everyone wants the new sub. People who have spent $$$$ will get the new watch. It’s just how things work.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:15 AM   #34
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

It's frustrating to be misled but you're certainly not alone. Hope you're able to find the piece you want.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:21 AM   #35
Sportsnerdy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzk View Post
Well, I mean, the threads name contains the word rant in capitals..
If I disagree with the way an AD treats its customers, its my personal opinion. The AD could've told me from the start you need a prior purchase to get on the wait-list. what's with the U-TURN 5 months later?

Telling someone "we don't come to the forum whining like kids just because we can't get the things we want" will not make you a big person, mate.

Cheers
Thanks for clarifying buddy. I will be mad too if I found out that the AD has taken me for a ride. I rather them be upfront and manage my expectations.
Sportsnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:28 AM   #36
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL19 View Post
I think you're missing the point of the post... 100% repeat clients should be prioritized. But the OP is upset (rightly so) because he was run in circles before being told it is for repeat clients, as opposed to being told from the start that the model is reserved for existing customers
I agree. But, from the ADs perspective, possibly this should be viewed as a different and new watch. I could see a lot of top clientele waiting to get the new no date as soon as it is refreshed. This model just got announced and has notable changes to the case, bracelet and movement. It’s likely going to be a lot harder to get a no date sub compared to last month, as these are all notable changes to the model that is generating interest.

If he was still talking about the 114060, I think he should have the right to be upset. But he’s no longer talking about that reference, which has been discontinued. And if all they changed was the movement, I’d say he’d have more of a right to be upset. But they changed much more than the movement here
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:43 AM   #37
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
i found the panel in the video somewhat a joke. in essence if you are a established customer, you get it at mrsp...otherwise the grey market is ready for you....

making the flipper sheikhs more richer!
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 03:16 AM   #38
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

I’m confirmed to be on the waitlist for the BLRO since May 3rd 2018 (yes, exactly 28 months ago). I have prior purchase history with them. I call them once a quarter to check but I think I won’t get it before the cows come home.
Valedictorian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 03:28 AM   #39
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
davidsw.com

Pay market value and be wearing it two days later. Waiting years for a watch you may or may not get is a complete waste of time.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:54 PM   #40
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I know it's bad for the OP, but the dealer is making the right move. They don't have a choice and it's not fair to string anyone along..

They absolutely will not get enough of the new reference to satisfy demand. They just won't. So they have to draw the line somewhere to manage it and ensure that they satisfy the clients that drive their business.

They don't want to deal with constant calls checking up on when I will get my $X,XXX.XX sub, when they have clients spending $XX,XXX,XXX.XX or more annually who they MUST supply with the SS watches that they will use as gifts for staff or business situations.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:41 PM   #41
dera
"TRF" Member

The funny thing is that Seddiqi is one of the largest suppliers for the grey market.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 02:45 PM   #42
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
The funny thing is that Seddiqi is one of the largest suppliers for the grey market.

You know that because?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 03:52 PM   #43
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
You know that because?

There’s a significant number of brand new stickered pieces on the local market. On a certain classifieds website the sellers are usually the same ones.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 04:25 PM   #44
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
There’s a significant number of brand new stickered pieces on the local market. On a certain classifieds website the sellers are usually the same ones.
Well...then there is this also...

https://www.thewatchbox.com/ae/en/bl...t-venture.html
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 04:37 PM   #45
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdate View Post
I was always concerned about this but in reality their stock is poor
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:04 PM   #46
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
You know that because?

I know this because that is a fact.
Old 6 September 2020, 03:06 PM   #47
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
What a surprise that a bunch of the NIB sales in grey market for the new Kermit/Sub Date had Seddiqi cards.
Not a bad deal for them, 20k profit per piece.
Old 6 September 2020, 03:11 PM   #48
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The Dubai market is probably very tough to buy enough at your AD to get noticed.
Old 6 September 2020, 03:48 PM   #49
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Man, this would piss me off too.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:33 PM   #50
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Yes I did...
I just wanna put it out there that I have no personal grudge against the AD. I’m just bummed about the fact that I had to wait for nothing...

The SA’s and everyone I interacted with at seddiqi were very polite and forthcoming.
Sadly without purchase history, you’re just another faceless name (in a sea of them) languishing on a “list”. Harsh but true

Grey market will be your best bet with no history
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:45 PM   #51
atler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sad part is theres only one AD in Dubai.. So like a monopoly

Same situation here in Oslo, Norway. One AD with monopoly only selling to customers with purchase history. Their staff makes no secret of the fact that it is only about shopping. However they don't say how much it takes to get on the list.

atler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:02 PM   #52
maurofa
"TRF" Member

I went through the same in Dubai... on waitlist for the sub no date, and list scrapped when the watch was discontinued.
Now you cannot enter the wish list.
Imagine that the even the wishlist for the OPs are closed... Insane.
And sadly, same story in Abu Dhabi.
maurofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:13 PM   #53
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
I went to the Dubai Mall whilst out there on holiday with my family. The Sales rep at the AD was amazing and gave me a tour of the boutique and even we watched a short video in the cinema room. As a WIS this was better than going to Disney land!
I'll always cherish that moment and thank the kind sales man for his time. Sometimes its not about walking out with a watch but with walking out with an experience.
The Rolex market is crazy at the moment no matter where you live. You either play the game or go grey.
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:44 PM   #54
Aerotol786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
I went to the Dubai Mall whilst out there on holiday with my family. The Sales rep at the AD was amazing and gave me a tour of the boutique and even we watched a short video in the cinema room. As a WIS this was better than going to Disney land!
I'll always cherish that moment and thank the kind sales man for his time. Sometimes its not about walking out with a watch but with walking out with an experience.
The Rolex market is crazy at the moment no matter where you live. You either play the game or go grey.
I think the frustration of the OP is that he was basically given the run around. As for the rest... A simple Google search will show up countless watches being sold via 3rd party sites and Instagram auction pages all of which are highly sort after watches being sold WITH SEDDIQI on the cards/receipts. We’re talking Pepsi, Cermits/OPs and many others.

Seddiqi is the largest supplier to the grey market in the Middle East all while trying to play the we don’t supply except to existing customers BS.
Aerotol786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 09:41 PM   #55
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Sounds like Dubai needs another AD.

I can understand your frustration at this treatment. Hopefully posting about if will help you get past it.

But don't waste too much energy. Someone who won't help you isn't worth the effort, even of typing. Your energy and resources will be best used elsewhere. And you'll get your watch, one way or another, if you want it that bad.

Good luck.
Speaking with a SA who works for a UK AD, I asked how waitlists function if models were updated.
His reply was “If we told a customer who is waiting for a Submariner, they would have to start over now it’s updated, that customer wouldn’t return”
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:20 PM   #56
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I don’t think they lied to you - for the 40mm model Submariner you got in the list (prob all the high rollers had their Submariner because it’s been out a decade). But you’re fooling yourself that if a VIP came calling and wanting the 40mm that you would be prioritized before him just because you’re on the list

To be honest the AD is actually being realistic with you on the new model Submariner because they probably know all their VIP clients want one therefore the likelihood of you getting one would be more than a few years (esp if you were already on the list for 5 months for the old one that’s been out for a decade and still hadn’t receive one)

Unfortunately sad truth about buying Rolex these days. Everyone wants one and those with most $ or spend the most $ will get priority. This is no different than any other so-called high in demand luxury item or VIP event
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:49 AM   #57
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerotol786 View Post
I think the frustration of the OP is that he was basically given the run around. As for the rest... A simple Google search will show up countless watches being sold via 3rd party sites and Instagram auction pages all of which are highly sort after watches being sold WITH SEDDIQI on the cards/receipts. We’re talking Pepsi, Cermits/OPs and many others.

Seddiqi is the largest supplier to the grey market in the Middle East all while trying to play the we don’t supply except to existing customers BS.
I understand the OPs view, I have been fortunate to acquire many Rolexes in Dubai. I was offered a Batman gmt on my last trip back in 2017, I know things have changed since then which is why I bought my last rolex from a grey here in Burlington arcade in London.
Old 26 October 2020, 01:15 AM   #58
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
I understand the OPs view, I have been fortunate to acquire many Rolexes in Dubai. I was offered a Batman gmt on my last trip back in 2017, I know things have changed since then which is why I bought my last rolex from a grey here in Burlington arcade in London.
The 126710BLNR (Batman GMT) was introduced in March of 2019.

OP - I'm sorry you were not moved over to the new list. As others have said, with no purchase history I would go grey.
Old 26 October 2020, 02:35 AM   #59
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
The 126710BLNR (Batman GMT) was introduced in March of 2019.

OP - I'm sorry you were not moved over to the new list. As others have said, with no purchase history I would go grey.
I'm afraid you're mistaken, the "batgirl" was released then. I am referring to the 116710BLNR. I hate watch nicknames
Old 26 October 2020, 02:40 AM   #60
Raffles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb1264 View Post
Speaking with a SA who works for a UK AD, I asked how waitlists function if models were updated.
His reply was “If we told a customer who is waiting for a Submariner, they would have to start over now it’s updated, that customer wouldn’t return”
Well that's exactly what happened to me, they did exactly that. They are correct, I will not return. The AD in question has missed out two non Rolex watch purchases and on several jewellery purchase because of this.

They might think it's ok to treat customers this way, but they burned their bridge with me.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote