The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 April 2020, 03:31 AM   #31
paul cbc
"TRF" Member

I have an inexpensive quartz watch that I wear ocean swimming and snorkeling. Excellent legibility in the water and no worries losing or damaging a nice watch. To me this makes the experience more enjoyable.

As suggested, a Nato/Perlon 1 piece strap that goes under both lugs is your friend in the water.

Aloha and Mahalo
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9876.JPG (280.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9875.JPG (276.7 KB, 145 views)
paul cbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 09:46 PM   #32
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
All good advice, particularly getting the Seiko diver and using that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.jpg (81.1 KB, 118 views)
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 11:40 PM   #33
keithylin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbookman View Post
Do not swim in that watch until it is tested.
Actually I wouldn't risk to ruin the watch after testing as well, it not worth it..
keithylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 05:20 PM   #34
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
This all sounds utterly crazy people advising to not use it swimming etc...

I happy take my 20 year old Explorer II in water and my 15 year old Seamaster.

Enjoy them!
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 11:04 PM   #35
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Get a Seiko SKX007 or 009! I've had one for 5 years and it's been swimming in many lakes, rivers, pools and oceans!

Old 12 May 2020, 11:41 PM   #36
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I'm sorry - I have to chime in here. As a scuba diver nobody wears a dive watch. Especially an expensive one ( Rolex Explorer I/ II ) and any watch one on a bracelet, because if they lose one pin. One. Pin. they are gone forever.

Go ahead and take that risk...but ocean swimming and scuba is all about reducing risk. wetsuits have great buoyanc and insulation to keep hypothermia away...in scuba they all wear BCD's, carry backup regulators, and dive computers w/ extremely conservative algotithms to reduce decompression ilness, etc, etc.

Id wear a Casio g-shock if I had to know the time while I'm out there. You could also get a Scubapro/ Uwatec timer thats designed for salt / fresh water....but for just surface swimming - the Casio is better.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:13 AM   #37
MikenAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie GMT
I've been in the Ocean many times with my 16700, no issues. Cleaning it after you're out of the saltwater is important. I clean in freshwater, spray the watch down with Wrist Clean and follow up with water again, dry thoroughly. Never had any issues. Hope this helps. The watch is also pressure tested once a year, my choice. If it fails I have the AD change the seals.

Best
Mike
MikenAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:59 AM   #38
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Very interesting thread. As an owner of two young pups (214270 is 18 months, 114060 is 6 months) when is water resistance something I need to begin to think about? I won't be doing any diving but do swim in my watches from time to time. When it's 10 year service time, would a RSC replace all of the seals/gaskets and pressure test? Is it necessary to pressure test them prior to the 10 year service or should they be good until then?
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 12:45 AM   #39
Ozman
"TRF" Member

Most people who are "going swimming" generally don't swim. If you are there to "ocean swim" you would be distance swimming for time and would suggest using a gshock. I doubt you will be diving and if so you could pickup inexpensive ISO rated seiko diver. If all you are planning is dipping in the ocean or pool as long as the seals are good and crown is screwed down you will be fine. This comes from experience as I grew up in and around the ocean while wearing a 5512 surfing,swimming and diving. Never serviced for the first 20 yrs of owners ship. It was serviced twice and remaind water tight while I owned it.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 01:08 AM   #40
dean_1nza
"TRF" Member

my seiko skx007 is my go to for all water activites including diving and it's never skipped a beat

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
dean_1nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 03:34 AM   #41
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't risk my hard-to-replace watches, not because I think that they are compromised, but because the risk of losing a tritium dial isn't one I choose to accept.
I think this points out the difference between "can I?" and "should I?" in these situations. If I had an older or vintage watch I don't think I'd risk it in the ocean even if the watch could handle it. I've left my AP and PP at home and took my Apple watch when I've gone hiking. It isn't that they "couldn't handle it" but I've slipped and taken minor falls while hiking more than once. And I've definitely hit some underwater rocks even in the shallow waters of Kauai.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 10:24 AM   #42
Ozman
"TRF" Member

You by a watch to wear or at least I do. It's my opinion that a sports watch was designed to be worn in rugged conditions. Not wearing one for it's purpose is like buying a 4 wheel drive vehicle for city driving.

As far as vintage watches go, I would still have my 5512 and wear it for it's designed purpose,
if it wasn't for the fact that certain individuals like to part with ridiculous amounts of money for old watches.

To each his own.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 07:28 PM   #43
18078pres
"TRF" Member

1979 DD every day almost in the pool. Pressure test every year. Last serviced in 2005. All is good.
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote