The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 February 2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

Ocean Swimming with Older Rolex

Headed to Hawaii shortly and will be spending a lot of time swimming in the saltwater.

I was thinking of bringing either my 25 year old Explorer II or my 22 year old Submariner.

Both watches are well-worn with dents and dings. I spoke with my local authorized(?) service center who advised me that even with new gaskets, seals, pressure testing etc, he felt it was a risk.

He said they would probably be okay, but why risk it? Why not pick up a G-Shock for less than $100?

I know saltwater can be tough and I would be upset if I were to damage either watch.

I don’t baby my watches (not these two at least) but I’m thinking about picking up the G-Shock and just not worrying.

I do have other options. A 2019 Explorer I, but not sure its WR rating. Other contenders- a Hamilton Khaki that is also a year or so old that is rated at 100m.

Still, it’s gonna be a lot of time swimming in the ocean...

I’m leaning towards the G-Shock.

Its funny, I haven’t owned a digital watch since I was a kid. For 80 bucks the Casio is solar powered and synchs to the Atomic Clock. Rated at 200 meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocky Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:46 PM   #2
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

It is a risk unless you have them perform a reseal. A reseal would involve testing to 300m on your Submariner.

If they seal and test it right before you leave, I fail to see why there would be a problem.

Source: am a watchmaker.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbookman View Post
It is a risk unless you have them perform a reseal. A reseal would involve testing to 300m on your Submariner.

If they seal and test it right before you leave, I fail to see why there would be a problem.

Source: am a watchmaker.

Thank you! I will inquire. It sure would be nice to have the sub back in the ocean!

Old 25 February 2020, 01:04 PM   #4
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Did the place you took it to indicate any corrosion or damage on the seal areas?
Old 25 February 2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbookman View Post
Did the place you took it to indicate any corrosion or damage on the seal areas?

We only spoke on the phone. I plan to stop by tomorrow 2/25 and show him the watches. Perhaps he’ll have more insight when he sees them in person.

I will eventually send both to RSC. The submariner sustained damage years ago when I took a high speed spill off my road bike. The bezel came off (crystal and gasket too). It went back together easy enough and has been tight ever since. (The titanium rods connecting my L4 and L5 have held tight as well.)

Old 25 February 2020, 02:09 PM   #6
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Do not swim in that watch until it is tested.
Old 25 February 2020, 02:14 PM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
All sound advice. Aside from wearing one of those beautiful watches, another option is getting a Seiko diver for about $250-300. Looks great and will perform the heavy lifting on the daily no problemo.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:43 PM   #8
77T

The newer to you Expl. I will suffice for any swimming you’ll do. Just have it pressure tested and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 05:28 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Personally I'd never dive/swim with 20+ year old gaskets, whether it passes the test or not. Especially the air testers that most use are not 100% accurate, old gaskets can definitely pass a test.

Sometimes the gaskets look fine once you open up the watch, and they disintegrate when you want to take them out.

Have them replaced before you go for a swim.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:40 PM   #10
jeorge
"TRF" Member

It would be a crying shame not to use the watch and put on some plastic thing. Life is full of risks stop over thinking put on the watch you want and enjoy the entire adventure your going on. Rolex were meant for sea water. Rolex has been saying it for 30 years. " After swimming sea water, rise with fresh water" Get it pressure tested for sure first.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Motik
"TRF" Member

Also check the clasp. You don't want your expensive watch to end up at the bottom of the ocean.
Motik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:56 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Personally I'd never dive/swim with 20+ year old gaskets, whether it passes the test or not. Especially the air testers that most use are not 100% accurate, old gaskets can definitely pass a test.

Sometimes the gaskets look fine once you open up the watch, and they disintegrate when you want to take them out.

Have them replaced before you go for a swim.
That’s a really interesting take Bas

I didn’t realize this about air testers.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Get it tested for sure, and if it is that old, may as well get it serviced to ensure water proofness. JMHO
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:26 PM   #14
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the great input!

Local service center (not RSC) was still hedging, even with new seals, gaskets etc. He said they’d ‘probably’ be fine. He also said his pressure testing was pass/fail and not 100% reliable.

Both watches have some decent bruises and neither have ever been to RSC. I’m thinking it’s time. I’ll eschew the complimentary polish. They look good as they are.

My recently acquired Kermit was RSC serviced last March and they assured me it would work to spec. And it’s still under warranty. Not stoked to get that one all beat up though. I wear it often but not ready to turn it into a weekend warrior.

Once the 14060 and the 16570 are fully factory serviced they’ll be my regular ocean swimmers! (Not that I do that often.)

I’m assuming the 16570 will do okay in the ocean, though not technically a diver. I like traveling with it due to the GMT hand.

In the meantime, look what showed up from AMZPrime!

Old 28 February 2020, 01:35 AM   #15
saskmh
"TRF" Member

A sub is a DIVE watch. Just get it pressure tested before you go to make sure the seals are good.

The explorer would be rated to 100m. but again, get it pressure tested.

I know people who have snorkeled with old acrylic datejusts...and those were only rated to 50m
Old 29 February 2020, 10:54 AM   #16
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
It is probably due for at least a real pressure test and replacement of all seals and gaskets.
I have a 1680 red Submariner and a 14060M. The 1680 has more bottom time-serious
diving than any of my other watches. They are Submariner tool watches-built to
take it. The founder of Rolex made his watches for their intended purpose.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 10:31 AM   #17
gordonite
"TRF" Member

Called an oyster case for a reason, guess it will held up strong even though not pressure tested, just make sure you got the crown screwed tight, good to go!

gordonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 12:44 PM   #18
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonite View Post
Called an oyster case for a reason, guess it will held up strong even though not pressure tested, just make sure you got the crown screwed tight, good to go!

It being a oyster case does not make it water resistant. Only good gaskets do.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 04:20 PM   #19
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Why would you risk it? For the sake of a holiday I’d just leave it at home
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 08:27 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
As long as any watch no mater its age passes its rated depth rating then it will be fine, if its suitable for the activity you will be using it for

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 02:05 PM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As long as any watch no mater its age passes its rated depth rating then it will be fine, if its suitable for the activity you will be using it for
^^^ THis
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:24 AM   #22
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
After replacement of gaskets, seals and it passes the re-seal pressure depth testing--
place a NATO nylon band on your Submariner for the trip. Virtually nothing on land
or sea will separate you from your watch. You can place the SS bracelet on at your convenience. One of the advantages of the 14060/14060M Submariners and the vintage
Sub references is drilled lugs: easy switching of band/bracelet. The hallmark of the
tough Rolex tool watch.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 06:30 PM   #23
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
After replacement of gaskets, seals and it passes the re-seal pressure depth testing--
place a NATO nylon band on your Submariner for the trip. Virtually nothing on land
or sea will separate you from your watch. You can place the SS bracelet on at your convenience. One of the advantages of the 14060/14060M Submariners and the vintage
Sub references is drilled lugs: easy switching of band/bracelet. The hallmark of the
tough Rolex tool watch.
Nothwitstanding any waterproof debate, I would certainly be inclined to place it on a good NATO or similar. Less potential points of failure and more peace of mind.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 01:08 PM   #24
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I took the family to Maui about 10 years ago. On the plane out, my 16520 Daytona managed to have a screw down pusher disappear completely, so I wore my 25 year old OysterQuartz most of the time. We went out on a dive boat and while the kids dove, the wife and I snorkeled above - I was wearing the OQ. It didn't miss a beat, and didn't suffer from any salt water intrusions. I've done the same with my Speedmaster, which only has a 50M pressure rating. Same results - no issues whatever.

I am firmly of the opinion that there is widespread fear mongering about wearing ANY mechanical watch in water by watch dealers and watch wearers. This isn't the 1930's people!
Old 18 March 2020, 10:01 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
I took the family to Maui about 10 years ago. On the plane out, my 16520 Daytona managed to have a screw down pusher disappear completely, so I wore my 25 year old OysterQuartz most of the time. We went out on a dive boat and while the kids dove, the wife and I snorkeled above - I was wearing the OQ. It didn't miss a beat, and didn't suffer from any salt water intrusions. I've done the same with my Speedmaster, which only has a 50M pressure rating. Same results - no issues whatever.

I am firmly of the opinion that there is widespread fear mongering about wearing ANY mechanical watch in water by watch dealers and watch wearers. This isn't the 1930's people!
I'll make sure to take a picture of every watch that ends up on my workbench with water/moisture in it from now on
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:30 AM   #26
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
YMMV. Be sure to update us on your results!
Old 3 April 2020, 12:17 PM   #27
Phrank

Watch: ♕
I thought the same thing, bought a Seiko diver and brought my Rolex DD (year 2000) to Aruba, thinking I'd wear the Seiko swimming and diving.

Wore the Seiko once, then just left my DD on the entire trip. Only time I changed it was to go ATV'ing, and link in the bracelet came very close to popping out, should've left the DD on.

But it was great wearing the DD, that's what they're made for, they're tanks.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #28
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
I still wear my 1985 submariner 35 years old in the ocean and pool every chance I get, just make sure you have the crown screwed in, and its been serviced and you will be fine, they are made for this...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #29
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'll make sure to take a picture of every watch that ends up on my workbench with water/moisture in it from now on
But did those watches have gaskets/seals in good condition and recently pressure tested? Like not trying to be facetious here but if the watch is regularly serviced and the seals are in good order, how would it be different to any other watch?

I'd have more faith in a recently serviced 16xx Datejust over a Seiko SKX that hasn't been pressure tested in 5 years.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 10:15 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
But did those watches have gaskets/seals in good condition and recently pressure tested? Like not trying to be facetious here but if the watch is regularly serviced and the seals are in good order, how would it be different to any other watch?

I'd have more faith in a recently serviced 16xx Datejust over a Seiko SKX that hasn't been pressure tested in 5 years.
You can get your watch serviced and tested, then walk out the door and smack it on the doorframe, dislodging the crystal to case gasket.

Anytime you go in the water there is risk. The question is "do you accept that risk".

I don't risk my hard-to-replace watches, not because I think that they are compromised, but because the risk of losing a tritium dial isn't one I choose to accept.