The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 February 2020, 04:51 PM   #61
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

3F3496A1-8270-4F75-9507-E4FCBBA588D2.jpeg

This is breathtaking- gorgeous movement
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:56 PM   #62
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
A 40mm Fifty Fathoms: 40mm x 13.2
SeaQ: 43.2mm x 15.6mm

Despite the *much* smaller size, the BP has the same water resistance (30 bar) and same power reserve (4 days). The movement and case finishing are also superior on the BP. But, I certainly can't deny the GO is a German machine....
I’m not sure about the case and movement finish been superior to the Glashütte SeaQ- I love the Blancpain don’t get me wrong (as it was always my grail) ... regarding the movement, I know the GO movement won an award for design and technology... it’s very very accurate (way better then all the Rolex I had ever Owned) but o agreed with you - the Blancpain movement is stunning as well.
Old 26 February 2020, 12:02 AM   #63
vitadine
"TRF" Member

43mm vs. 45mm is not similar, it‘s a noticeable difference.
The FF sits on the wrist like a puck because of it‘s shape, not only because of it‘s height and diameter.

Fifty Fathoms

SeaQ

The GO is even with the FF in terms of quality and finishing... the movement might be even superior.
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:41 AM   #64
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
I’m not sure about the case and movement finish been superior to the Glashütte SeaQ- I love the Blancpain don’t get me wrong (as it was always my grail) ... regarding the movement, I know the GO movement won an award for design and technology... it’s very very accurate (way better then all the Rolex I had ever Owned) but o agreed with you - the Blancpain movement is stunning as well.
Agree. I'll just leave it that both are certainly great watches and excel in this space. GO are certainly a great company, no doubt.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:04 AM   #65
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
43mm vs. 45mm is not similar, it‘s a noticeable difference.
The FF sits on the wrist like a puck because of it‘s shape, not only because of it‘s height and diameter.

Fifty Fathoms

SeaQ

The GO is even with the FF in terms of quality and finishing... the movement might be even superior.
I also think the movement is superior.
After owing some many divers (including D-blue, SD43 and Sub) I can certainly say, the GO is the best diver out there...
Old 26 February 2020, 02:44 AM   #66
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Quote:

After owing some many divers (including D-blue, SD43 and Sub) I can certainly say, the GO is the best diver out there...

Have no doubt the GO is great watch, but I think the FF has it beat in terms of aesthetics. Obviously, this is highly subjective, but the FF is one good lookin watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #67
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both movements have a 4 day power reserve. Both use a silicon balance spring. The caliber 1151 is HALF as thick as the 36-13. But, yea "it's won awards".

I'll also reiterate a point I made earlier. One watch is 43mm x 16mm, another is 40mm x 13mm. Despite being significantly smaller, the BP has the same water resistance (300m).

Best diver out there, but doesn't excel at any aspect of being a diver.

Old 26 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #68
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

20696DDB-1746-40C9-A7D0-E3A5BF81B998.jpeg
Old 26 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #69
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

FA828D65-FE10-429F-AB8F-05EF77A213C2.jpeg

Also had the opportunity to try the Blancpain Barakuda and it’s a terrific piece but still, the Glashütte SeaQ Panorama Datum won me over.

Price range was very similar so, that was not a decision factor.
Old 26 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #70
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
New or preowned? Ive always love the Jaeger Lecoultre master compressor line. Use to have this JLC master compressor chrono diver and was an amazing watch

I sold that but still have my master compressor extreme world chrono good for 100m, not a true diver however if you read the history and book on it and what the watch went through in development its I'm sure a great diver option on rubber with crazy versatility when you throw a gator band on also.

iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #71
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Also, the question should be asked...is this going to be used for diving? Would you need more than, say, 150m WR?

I do really like the 39.5mm SeaQ.

Old 26 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #72
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Sub $15K divers (other than Rolex)

Quote:
Both movements have a 4 day power reserve. Both use a silicon balance spring. The caliber 1151 is HALF as thick as the 36-13. But, yea "it's won awards".

I'll also reiterate a point I made earlier. One watch is 43mm x 16mm, another is 40mm x 13mm. Despite being significantly smaller, the BP has the same water resistance (300m).

Best diver out there, but doesn't excel at any aspect of being a diver.

You are comparing apples to oranges. There is a slimmer SeaQ @ 39.5mm with 300m water resistance, so this one competes with the 40mm FF and no advance for the FF here. Any 5- and 6-digit Rolex Sub is 300m @ 40mm. The 16600 and 116600 SeaDweller is 1220m @ 40mm, so really no outstanding feature of either the FF or the GO.

SeaQ @ 39.5mm
Old 26 February 2020, 08:18 AM   #73
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. There is a slimmer SeaQ @ 39.5mm with 300m water resistance, so this one competes with the 40mm FF and no advance for the FF here. Any 5- and 6-digit Rolex Sub is 300m @ 40mm. The 16600 and 116600 SeaDweller is 1220m @ 40mm, so really no outstanding feature of either the FF or the GO.

SeaQ @ 39.5mm
The slimmer SeaQ is 200m, a full 100m less than the similarly sized fifty fathoms. It also has half the power reserve. Atleast research your precious SeaQ before arguing.

My point in comparing the 40mm fifty fathoms and the 43mm SeaQ was that the MUCH smaller and thinner fifty fathoms has the same water resistance and power reserve to a gigantic SeaQ. It's a testimony to how good the 40mm Fifty fathoms is, and why it is the superior watch.

Old 26 February 2020, 08:33 AM   #74
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Quote:
Also, the question should be asked...is this going to be used for diving? Would you need more than, say, 150m WR?

I do really like the 39.5mm SeaQ.

Realistically, no, I would not use it for diving, but not because I’m opposed to the idea. It’s just that life has gotten in the way of most of my hobbies (except watches). In the future, who knows. What’s most important to me is build quality, movement quality, and look/feel.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 08:36 AM   #75
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

A subjective opinion purely below.

Although I regard BP and GO as the best midtier luxury brands along with JLC, I strongly feel that the BP divers beat the pants off the SeaQ in the sports watch category. I work right next to a Tourbillon boutique and have had the chance to handle both the offerings quite a few times.

While the SeaQ is a nice watch and I was pleasantly surprised about how it wore on my 6.5~ inch wrist, it felt like a sub $10K watch, probably on par with the Rolex divers. The BP Fifty Fathoms and Bathyscaphe, on the other hand, have always touched my heart strings when I have held them in hands. They are the best luxury divers just below the likes of Nautilus, Aquanaut, and Overseas. I just wish BP introduced a 42mm regular production Fifty Fathoms model, otherwise I plan to get the next iteration of 40mm limited edition FF.

This is my opinion based on aesthetics, build quality, and feel on the wrist. Also, tried both the offerings on straps.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 08:43 AM   #76
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Realistically, no, I would not use it for diving, but not because I’m opposed to the idea. It’s just that life has gotten in the way of most of my hobbies (except watches). In the future, who knows. What’s most important to me is build quality, movement quality, and look/feel.

Ah. Got it.
I still maintain a 40mm BP Fifty Fathoms would be best for your needs. Understanding that they are currently hard to come by, the 39.5mm SeaQ or a Bathyscaphe would be suitable alternatives.

Old 26 February 2020, 08:45 AM   #77
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Old 26 February 2020, 08:48 AM   #78
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The slimmer SeaQ is 200m, a full 100m less than the similarly sized fifty fathoms. It also has half the power reserve. Atleast research your precious SeaQ before arguing.

My point in comparing the 40mm fifty fathoms and the 43mm SeaQ was that the MUCH smaller and thinner fifty fathoms has the same water resistance and power reserve to a gigantic SeaQ. It's a testimony to how good the 40mm Fifty fathoms is, and why it is the superior watch.

ok Fifty-Fathoms-Fanboy...like I said many posts before: enjoy your BP in good health!
You won’t convince me with all your questionable technical triviality, because I simply don’t like the style and design of the FF.
Some details are even hideous in my eyes, like the BLANCPAIN writing on the left side of the case. It’s the second worst writing on a watch right after the bezel writing on the YACHTMASTER II.
It’s a design that tries to hard to be unique and fails to be cool and sovereign imho.
And the quality is great for sure, but it‘s great on many other offerings in this pricerange - nothing special.
Old 26 February 2020, 08:58 AM   #79
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ok Fifty-Fathoms-Fanboy...like I said many posts before: enjoy your BP in good health!
You won’t convince me with all your questionable technical triviality, because I simply don’t like the style and design of the FF.
Some details are even hideous in my eyes, like the BLANCPAIN writing on the left side of the case. It’s the second worst writing on a watch right after the bezel writing on the YACHTMASTER II.
It’s a design that tries to hard to be unique and fails to be cool and sovereign imho.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
"Questionable technical triviality"... like pointing out your errors and stating simple facts about technical specs.

Like I've said numerous times, you can hate the Fifty Fathoms for aesthetic reasons all you want, that's your prerogative. It doesn't change the fact that the FF is still the technically better watch. Don't let your national pride in a German made product cloud judgement on facts.

Also, I'm no "fanboy". If you ask anyone who knows me, I have no loyalty to any brand (watches or otherwise). I assess my needs, research and buy the best product to fill those needs within my budget.

Old 26 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #80
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Another vote for the Planet Ocean...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:30 AM   #81
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"Questionable technical triviality"... like pointing out your errors and stating simple facts about technical specs.

Like I've said numerous times, you can hate the Fifty Fathoms for aesthetic reasons all you want, that's your prerogative. It doesn't change the fact that the FF is still the technically better watch. Don't let your national pride in a German made product cloud judgement on facts.

Also, I'm no "fanboy". If you ask anyone who knows me, I have no loyalty to any brand (watches or otherwise). I assess my needs, research and buy the best product to fill those needs within my budget.

No german national pride involved in my statements. I own 12 fine watches with only a single German watch (a Nomos) and 11 Swiss made. Poor effort.

Who cares about minor technical differences? 90% of the reasons most people buy a watch is because of how it looks - don‘t tell me again and again that the BP is technically better or superior for whatever reason - it just doesn’t matter to me because it‘s ugly in my eyes.
The SeaQ is technically brilliant enough and just fine for me.
You’re welcome.
Old 26 February 2020, 09:37 AM   #82
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I heard only 4 (no idea if true) of these made it to the US market. Glad I snagged one. One of 69. Also, fwiw I did not hang onto my kuda. Too faux on the lume for me irl. So for ME, the GO was more wearable and I preferred it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:42 AM   #83
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No german national pride involved in my statements. I own 12 fine watches with only a single German watch (a Nomos) and 11 Swiss made. Poor effort.

Who cares about minor technical differences? 90% of the reasons most people buy a watch is because of how it looks - don‘t tell me again and again that the BP is technically better or superior for whatever reason - it just doesn’t matter to me because it‘s ugly in my eyes.
The SeaQ is technically brilliant enough and just fine for me.
You’re welcome.
Are you intentionally being obtuse? I'm genuinely curious.
We've established, time and time again, that I am completely fine with you not liking the Fifty Fathoms. We've established that you think it's ugly. We've established how you only care about how things look. Go about your business buying things that look pretty to you, I literally could not care any less.

However, you tried... and failed...to show the SeaQ as the technically better watch. It isn't. Own up to it instead of trying to now pivot the argument saying only aesthetics matter.

Also, having 33% less water resistance and over 50% less power reserve are not "minor technical differences".

You're very welcome indeed.

Old 26 February 2020, 09:42 AM   #84
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Timely video. Fast forward to 8:15 to hear Tim thoughts on the his preference for a dive watch:

https://youtu.be/fzIJOEEC9ic
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #85
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

In case anybody is interested, watchmaker Peter Speake Marin deconstructed a Fifty Fathoms and gave his thoughts.
https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/decon-blancpain

Old 26 February 2020, 09:50 AM   #86
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Timely video. Fast forward to 8:15 to hear Tim thoughts on the his preference for a dive watch:

https://youtu.be/fzIJOEEC9ic
I was just watching that now. Honestly, what are the odds?
I posted a link to the Speake Marin article Tim was referencing.

Old 26 February 2020, 10:01 AM   #87
Marchy
"TRF" Member

Part of my work that I need to do some diving for inspection of jetties. I've done so with different watches over time, from Seikos to Tags, Omegas (SMP and ploprof, seadweller 16600, to recently the BP FF. Objectively the FF is the most legible under water, surprisingly the aquaracer is 2nd. The FF is so buttery smooth, very refined in looks, very high quality to the touch indeed. I have been looking for JLC's but the models I like are not easy to find, at least from AD's. I recently picked up a panerai that I plan to do my shallow dives with next.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:01 AM   #88
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Easy, Blancpain, next question

avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:32 AM   #89
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
Easy, Blancpain, next question

I’ll second that. I love my Bathyscaphe
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 04:02 PM   #90
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

015E6BE9-9C7E-4D60-8841-640F97A02BD5.jpeg

I repeat, the Blancpain Barakuda is looking nice but still didn’t convince me... the patina was kind of resembling a Burberry watch ...and wanted to have something more tool like to replace my SD43 and after trying some many divers ... and reading a lot reviews... was the Glashütte SeaQ Panorama Datum which In the end provide me what I was looking for (high horology, gorgeous looking and great fit)

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]015E6BE9-9C7E-4D60-8841-640F97A02BD5.jpeg

EDA6AD15-1C74-454B-B0CF-BD6CB6328406.jpeg

7248F33D-AE8B-40A3-BA32-E5B46F0244FF.jpeg

281CF233-303A-44F9-87D9-66BD048D0DA0.jpeg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]