The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Did you guys know that the Tin Tin Speedmaster was still in production and plentiful?

I stopped into two Omega boutiques over my holiday travels. And I saw in the both shops the Tin Tin. I was told that Omega is still producing these watches and that there really was a stop in production. I was surprised to see brand new Tin-Tin watches. I thought they hadn’t made those in 5 years or thereabouts. Now I doubt I’d ever buy one as that dial would clash with almost everything I own but something is strange with Omega and these “limited editions”.
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 11:24 AM   #2
ree7
"TRF" Member

Tintin was never released as a limited edition, and I believe Omega has yet to disclose how many has been produced. What I've seen happening from these past several months was that a major Asian distributors' unsold stocks have been redistributed to AD's and Boutiques all around the world. Some discussions on OF mentioned they've seen Tintin in Costco's these past few months. I believe these Tintin's still in displays would still have serial numbers closer to 2013 production batches.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 02:48 PM   #3
chauhien93
"TRF" Member

Just due to we are not much interested much in that piece.
chauhien93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 09:40 PM   #4
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauhien93 View Post
Just due to we are not much interested much in that piece.
Omega forums has over 60 pages of posts related to Tintin only. Quite impressive number of responses.

There were a couple good reviews online including one below

https://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...master-tintin/

I am not really sure why tou assume nobody is interested in this variation of Speedmaster

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 10:35 PM   #5
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I just bought mine in Hong Kong a week ago. The lady was literally giving me any discount she could (incl. free bracelet) to get rid of it from her Omega boutique. I was actually after a normal Speedy pro that day, but wow, a Tintin, such a rarity, right there... especially as I'm a Tintin fan.. I just couldn't resist.

After my purchase I discussed about the model and learned that Asian people don't buy this model. Tintin doesn't appeal to them, and most of them don't know about the Moon adventures of Tintin.
It's now very rare, there are much less than last year. And all coming from old stocks. She showed me a catalogue of movement and watches on her computer where you see the current and discontinued ones, and this one was clearly from the past.
So no they don't produce them anymore.

If you can find two, buy them both! You can make profit on the other one ;)
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

How could I forget a few pics... such a beautiful watch! very unique
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WechatIMG11522845551_.pic.jpg (219.0 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg WechatIMG41522845552_.pic.jpg (204.1 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg WechatIMG21522845551_.pic.jpg (118.6 KB, 757 views)
Old 5 April 2018, 01:26 AM   #7
ajas
"TRF" Member

Mine below
20170330_222230.jpg

Old 5 April 2018, 02:16 AM   #8
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
Tintin was never released as a limited edition, and I believe Omega has yet to disclose how many has been produced. What I've seen happening from these past several months was that a major Asian distributors' unsold stocks have been redistributed to AD's and Boutiques all around the world. Some discussions on OF mentioned they've seen Tintin in Costco's these past few months. I believe these Tintin's still in displays would still have serial numbers closer to 2013 production batches.
That’s what I’ve heard as well as they are still being produced and Asian distributors won’t touch them. Wow 😮 being sold at Costco. Didn’t realize that.
Old 5 April 2018, 02:19 AM   #9
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
I just bought mine in Hong Kong a week ago. The lady was literally giving me any discount she could (incl. free bracelet) to get rid of it from her Omega boutique. I was actually after a normal Speedy pro that day, but wow, a Tintin, such a rarity, right there... especially as I'm a Tintin fan.. I just couldn't resist.

After my purchase I discussed about the model and learned that Asian people don't buy this model. Tintin doesn't appeal to them, and most of them don't know about the Moon adventures of Tintin.
It's now very rare, there are much less than last year. And all coming from old stocks. She showed me a catalogue of movement and watches on her computer where you see the current and discontinued ones, and this one was clearly from the past.
So no they don't produce them anymore.

If you can find two, buy them both! You can make profit on the other one ;)
I’ve heard they are still making them with serials related to 2018. Your story mirrors mine-they would have done practically anything to get me to take the watch. I tried to apply those discounts and aggressive freebies they were including on the Tin Tin to others models. I’ve never even watched Tin Tin therefore to me the standard Speedy is more special.
Old 5 April 2018, 03:08 AM   #10
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
That’s what I’ve heard as well as they are still being produced and Asian distributors won’t touch them. Wow 😮 being sold at Costco. Didn’t realize that.
I don’t think being sold at Costco is a detriment. They sell Rolex at many Costco’s too. You can get a 6 pack of peanut butter and a Milgauss in the same trip
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 10:58 AM   #11
ree7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I meant is that I don't think they are still being produced. Because most serials I've seen relate to +-2013 production.
I think the stocks that are showing up these past few months are old stocks from Asian distributors. Redistributed. Not new productions.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
I don’t think being sold at Costco is a detriment. They sell Rolex at many Costco’s too. You can get a 6 pack of peanut butter and a Milgauss in the same trip
That would be awesome!!
Old 5 April 2018, 02:38 PM   #13
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
What I meant is that I don't think they are still being produced. Because most serials I've seen relate to +-2013 production.
I think the stocks that are showing up these past few months are old stocks from Asian distributors. Redistributed. Not new productions.
I’ve heard that and I’ve also heard serials that date watches to 2018, still in production.
Old 5 April 2018, 02:39 PM   #14
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Mine below
Attachment 941029

Do you find it a bit busy or clashing with clothing? It’s hard to tell without wearing one daily for a bit.
Old 5 April 2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Bok88
"TRF" Member

I believe they are still on production . Just saw one but sold the next day at Costco. Price like $ 3,544+plus tax.
Bok88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 05:31 PM   #16
ajas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you find it a bit busy or clashing with clothing? It’s hard to tell without wearing one daily for a bit.
I normally wear this watch as weekend beater with t shirt and shorts.
Don't have any issues and my kids love colours and of course Tintin stories.

Old 6 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #17
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve heard that and I’ve also heard serials that date watches to 2018, still in production.
From the OF it seems the SN are quite old (mine included). Seriously if they were still in production we would see much more on the shelves than just 1 or 2 per continent here and there every month.

Clearly they don't make them anymore for a while, unless the Omega distributors' access portal is not accurate, and unless they produce only a few dozen per year. On such a non-Precious metal/gems / non exclusive product, they won't maintain such a small production line. It won't make sense from a cost and supply chain point of view.
Old 6 April 2018, 01:57 AM   #18
ajas
"TRF" Member

This thread needs more pics20170831_111542.jpg20170831_140410.jpg20170901_132545.jpg

Old 6 April 2018, 01:59 AM   #19
ajas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
This thread needs more picsAttachment 941282Attachment 941283Attachment 941284

Not sure why pics are not rotating.

Old 6 April 2018, 01:59 AM   #20
ajas
"TRF" Member

One more

Old 9 May 2018, 06:29 AM   #21
katiedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
This watch makes me very sad.
I only recently became interested in watches again (been actively collecting until 2-3 yrs ago as a long time member in another forum) after I had been attached to photography for some time. I was in Japan last Thanksgiving and Don quijote (Japanese version of Target/Walmart equivalent) had Tin Tin on sale for 280000 yen and I passed up on them... Had I bought couple, flipping one I would have kept one for free! I went back to Japan this past January and I could find none from Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto.
katiedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 05:37 AM   #22
Polarbears
Banned

I was wrong. They haven’t been produced in years. Less than 2000 made. They started reappearing through the grey market in NOS condition which made me think they were still being made.
Old 16 May 2018, 05:38 AM   #23
Polarbears
Banned

From Omega Forums
“ I spoke with several involved in the marketing of the Destination Moon or Tin Tin. There were less than 2000 made, I’ve heard 1950-1954 as the possibilities to tie in with Herge destination moon which was published in 1953 but written in 1950, Popularized in 1954. I don’t think the date was ever set but they started hand painting dials, Some had the rocket and were destroyed although there is possibly 2-3 remaining. Snowy might have had a small cameo somewhere on the box. Moulinsart is notoriously difficult and Omega just couldn’t satisfy every Hergé Foundation request. The Marketing never happened and the Destination Moon was scrapped. There were around 100 service dials saved and roughly 1200-1500 already produced. Numbers vary because a lot of dials were destroyed. Exact production is very small but even those who work at Omega don’t know other than it was a less than 2000 circulation but there were many unfinished dials that did get destroyed. Keep in mind this Dial is not in anyway similar to “racing dials” of the past. Omega tried to push this watch to Asian markets as a way of getting rid of the useless dials. “racing dials” had popularity in the past in Asia but this time it didn’t connect with the public, the public was confused. Most Tin Tins were then recirculated or heavily discounted or transferred to other dealers. This was a Speedmaster without an identity. It was an anomaly. A mistake. Omega hoped to break even on these and foolishly didn’t market them at all and it just was a confusing release to get rid of the dials which were handpainted. Now after several years on, the true connection to Tin Tin and the Destination Moon Comic Book and the scarcity of this piece is now known and slowly collectors are picking these up. It’s an amazing story, but unfortunately was told/leaked well after the release. My suggestion, hold onto this one. It’s very rare for a brand like Omega to have such a giant Screw up that also is so limited and tied to a such neat story. This will be a very expensive watch someday.”
Old 16 May 2018, 05:40 AM   #24
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
From the OF it seems the SN are quite old (mine included). Seriously if they were still in production we would see much more on the shelves than just 1 or 2 per continent here and there every month.

Clearly they don't make them anymore for a while, unless the Omega distributors' access portal is not accurate, and unless they produce only a few dozen per year. On such a non-Precious metal/gems / non exclusive product, they won't maintain such a small production line. It won't make sense from a cost and supply chain point of view.
I was wrong
Old 16 May 2018, 05:42 AM   #25
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
That is correct. Not many made. Production ended years ago. I was wrong.
Old 27 September 2018, 05:58 AM   #26
Skipper_S
"TRF" Member

<2000 pieces

I would bet that the number of tintin is less than 2000.
Skipper_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 12:43 PM   #27
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_S View Post
I would bet that the number of tintin is less than 2000.
It’s been confirmed less than 2000 closer to 1500. Very rare.
Old 27 October 2018, 03:15 PM   #28
Bent_remy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster TinTin
Yes, rare and they have all but dried up in the retail market. Prices currently surging on Chrono 24.
Bent_remy is offline   Reply With Quote