The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 May 2018, 04:16 AM   #1
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Recent Omega Marketing

I've always been a huge Omega fan, but I'm getting turned off by their recent marketing.

I follow them on Instagram and recently every other post is of Cindy Crawford's kids. I don't get it. They are models? Ok. What does that add to the brand. What have they achieved other than being children of a model?

On the other hand you have the Rolex Instagram page and they are focused on watches, materials, metal, and the technology behind the watches. When they do have brand ambassadors, they are athletes, filmmakers, and in general people who have actually done something.

I don't really understand what Omega is trying to do. Is it an way to appeal to the younger generation? Are they a fashion brand or a watch brand? Whatever it is, I don't like it.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:13 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

I do not follow Omega because their marketing is junk like you said. Not that I actually care, the only Omega's worth buying are vintage and the hesalite speedy IMO.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 06:05 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I do not follow Omega because their marketing is junk like you said. Not that I actually care, the only Omega's worth buying are vintage and the hesalite speedy IMO.
whoah...harsh....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 06:06 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
whoah...harsh....
The brand is trying too hard, keeps raising the price to get on Rolex level, but it will never be the same as Rolex.

They have an identity issue...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 06:12 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting that I had this chat just yesterday with my boutique friends while visiting. I asked them how the Gerber family marketing has been working out and they told me it's been fantastic. The audience for this campaign is really the millennial generation....which according to my friends/sales reps....are the future of the market and also the market that sees no purpose in mechanical watches. But now through this campaign with the Gerber family (good looking genetics, clean reputation, philanthropy etc), it's proven to be effective marketing for Omega's intro. lines like Aqua Terra and Tressor lines for entry watch buyers from the millennial generation.

I'm with you guys....I was quite confused and see no purpose in this marketing and was a bit turned off....but after finding out the intent, makes complete sense to me. It's just not targeted toward us older WIS.....which accounts for a much smaller % of their entire target audience unfortunately.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 03:57 AM   #6
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

We are not meant to get it, we aren’t the target audience. Fine with me, I buy watches because I love the watches themselves, I couldn’t care less what the adverts look like.

That being said, I did stop following Omega on IG because it became too annoying.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 07:14 PM   #7
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
Guess it indeed depends on the target audience. I'm a millenial and yesterday I just orderd my first Omega, since recent price strategy of Rolex has turned me off. I'm 27 and work hard for my money and love watches. I have several Rolexes, but recent events turning me a bit off.

I must say I didn't buy an Omega because of their current marketing strategy. Their materials and history made me interested in them. I still prefer Rolex over Omega though :) But Omega isn't Rolex and Rolex isn't Omega.
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Interesting that I had this chat just yesterday with my boutique friends while visiting. I asked them how the Gerber family marketing has been working out and they told me it's been fantastic. The audience for this campaign is really the millennial generation....which according to my friends/sales reps....are the future of the market and also the market that sees no purpose in mechanical watches. But now through this campaign with the Gerber family (good looking genetics, clean reputation, philanthropy etc), it's proven to be effective marketing for Omega's intro. lines like Aqua Terra and Tressor lines for entry watch buyers from the millennial generation.

I'm with you guys....I was quite confused and see no purpose in this marketing and was a bit turned off....but after finding out the intent, makes complete sense to me. It's just not targeted toward us older WIS.....which accounts for a much smaller % of their entire target audience unfortunately.

There’s a Presley’s Railmaster that are attracting interest. Banners of the said watch displayed at the boutique window. Clever marketing and I have no issue.

Thanks sensui for sharing that interesting bit of Omega advert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:50 PM   #9
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNL View Post
Guess it indeed depends on the target audience. I'm a millenial and yesterday I just orderd my first Omega, since recent price strategy of Rolex has turned me off. I'm 27 and work hard for my money and love watches. I have several Rolexes, but recent events turning me a bit off.

I must say I didn't buy an Omega because of their current marketing strategy. Their materials and history made me interested in them. I still prefer Rolex over Omega though :) But Omega isn't Rolex and Rolex isn't Omega.
What did you get?
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 10:02 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I don't really understand what Omega is trying to do. Is it an way to appeal to the younger generation? Are they a fashion brand or a watch brand? Whatever it is, I don't like it.

One aspect of the Marcomm strategy worked, though. You are posting about Omega. Now you may not be their prime target but one of the sidestreams - and it generated impressions by you.

So we all are now talking about the campaign and the name Omega is repeated. And a few people will be sharing what they like/dislike, what they did/didn’t buy, and ultimately some wristshots.

Their brand is chameleon-like to serve a broad appeal - Tudor’s watch model diversity is the same in that regard.

I guess they mis-targeted you based on your IG surfing + other data about you shared from Apps on phone/tablet/laptop/PC/TV habits and TRF posts (just kidding about that last part unless you use TapaTalk)

Now where can I buy an Omega?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #11
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
What did you get?
The Planet Ocean Pyeonchang Edition. Loved the contrasting colours and vastly different from my current collection. Also includes a extra steel bracelet.
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #12
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I think I've just turned into the old man that dislikes everything new and young.

I'm only 36
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 01:43 PM   #13
THE FURY
"TRF" Member

I never pay attention to marketing, unless my sub conscious is cheating on my conscious. I treat my watches like relationships, you have to try a few on to determine your taste and then find the right fit.
THE FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 01:45 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not even on instasnap so no idea about their adverts
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 01:29 PM   #15
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FURY View Post
I never pay attention to marketing, unless my sub conscious is cheating on my conscious. I treat my watches like relationships, you have to try a few on to determine your taste and then find the right fit.
Hate to break the news, but Madison Ave learned a long time ago how to bypass your conscious mind and deliver messages we don’t even know we are getting. Nonetheless, as long as we like the stuff we’re buying, who cares?
Old 14 May 2018, 02:23 PM   #16
THE FURY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Hate to break the news, but Madison Ave learned a long time ago how to bypass your conscious mind and deliver messages we don’t even know we are getting. Nonetheless, as long as we like the stuff we’re buying, who cares?
Obviously true for most, but not all. I am not immune, but I think about wants vs need often. Marketing targets the want aspect. However i am on a luxury watch forum, defeating the need and catering to the want. Lol..
THE FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 01:51 AM   #17
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ok, after reading this thread, I had to go on Omega's Instagram page and take a look. Not impressed...
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 02:42 PM   #18
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
i also went to their instgram and realized two things quickly.
1. that marketing is not directed towards me, not being in my 20s and not even having instagram.
2. lots of folks in comments section are incredibly hatefilled. too bad.
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote