The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2018, 02:30 PM   #1
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Opinions on Vacheron Overseas Chronos?

Hey all!

So I'm deliberately asking in the PP about VC, as I see only high level collectors to be interested in this brand.

However, I did have a 'flop' when I got my Quai del Ille in steel. But I'm curious what other PP collectors think of VC and their modern sport watches.

What do you think about VC?
watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #2
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
The Overseas is always tempting but I can never seem to pull the trigger. I love the newest version with the quick change strap system but something about the chrono registers always gets in the way. Where the dial is cut out around the sub-dials it looks like the coloration of the dial is off somehow. Other than that I'm a big fan.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 02:58 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

big fan, but that date window drives me crazy. I do think it looks better on the new black/white dial version since it seems to blend in better with the color scheme on that watch. On the blue which would actually be my preferred color the date window has stopped me from buying.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 03:11 PM   #4
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I get turned off by the non-tapared bracelet!
Old 18 May 2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I think the VCO is a compelling package. It has a lovely dial, nicely decorated in-house movement, solid bracelet and I remember a strong marketing campaign 2 years ago.

Hence, I went to the VC boutique to try on. With a wrist size of 6.5", I thought it appears a tad too large for me. Also, the higher price point as compared to the AP Royal Oak 15400, coupled with a weak resale value, kill off the deal.

thumbnail.jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 09:58 PM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I think the VCO is a compelling package. It has a lovely dial, nicely decorated in-house movement, solid bracelet and I remember a strong marketing campaign 2 years ago.

Hence, I went to the VC boutique to try on. With a wrist size of 6.5", I thought it appears a tad too large for me. Also, the higher price point as compared to the AP Royal Oak 15400, coupled with a weak resale value, kill off the deal.

Attachment 952122

Totally agree- on smaller wrists this just appears too but IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 10:46 PM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
big fan, but that date window drives me crazy. I do think it looks better on the new black/white dial version since it seems to blend in better with the color scheme on that watch. On the blue which would actually be my preferred color the date window has stopped me from buying.
What’s up with the sub dials being more of an off white/cream instead of a true white like the date wheel and other writing? Upon closer inspection of the piece, I noticed this. Total turnoff for me, I feel it doesn’t flow whatsoever. I honestly might of purchased the black chrono if this weren't the case, it’s a cool watch otherwise.

dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 10:47 PM   #8
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
What year did they switch to in house movements?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 01:14 AM   #9
RALAUstin
"TRF" Member

I really liked the previous generation; would have probably kept it long term if it had the newer strap change system. Definitely heavier and thicker than the 5711 and 15300; wore fairly close to the SubC but not as comfortable mainly because of the lack of quick adjustment in the bracelet.

RALAUstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 01:23 AM   #10
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
I have owned a VC overseas dual time, AP chrono and a nautilus at one time. Although gorgeous in construction, had the least staying power for me.

I got it and flipped it within 3 months.

The ultramarine dial also holds nothing to the Royal oak tapisserie blue or the natulius blue
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 02:52 AM   #11
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
I just think there are better options at the price point.

Also - and this is just me, I’d have a tough time buying this watch just like I’d have a tough time buying a Rolex Cellini. Rightly or wrongly, it’s just not what the brand “is” to me.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 02:54 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
What’s up with the sub dials being more of an off white/cream instead of a true white like the date wheel and other writing? Upon closer inspection of the piece, I noticed this. Total turnoff for me, I feel it doesn’t flow whatsoever. I honestly might of purchased the black chrono if this weren't the case, it’s a cool watch otherwise.
not sure. This is a watch i really do want to see IRL. I have yet to see any actually reach AD's yet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 03:29 AM   #13
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not sure. This is a watch i really do want to see IRL. I have yet to see any actually reach AD's yet.
It seems you can't trust pre-release pictures nor manufacturer information prior to the actual landing in ADs. Seen it happen too many times.....some being worse than others *cough* AP *cough*.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:31 AM   #14
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
What year did they switch to in house movements?
These new 3rd Gen Overseas, and new additions, were all announced at SIHH 2016.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=453891
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:02 AM   #15
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Love this watch but for the price point I would go AP or Daytona. Doesn’t feel safe in the sense that I would probably have second thoughts soon after the purchase. Also, I suspect the poor resale has many spooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:17 AM   #16
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I loved my VC overseas Chrono, unfortunately it is gone now in a trade for a PP!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:37 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

I like the same sized subdials now but not crazy about the font choices. I still think they make good watches but they are a little fussy and finicky and I think I would probably flip mine after a while, I say flip, would that were so, as then I would take a punt but the resales prohibit this flutter.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:29 PM   #18
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Fan here as well. They were on my list but too big for my wrists in person.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:46 PM   #19
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t care for the bezel
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Veeck
"TRF" Member

Beautiful design, but loses it’s charm very quickly and I flip it for another PP.
Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:27 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I owned the gray dial version of the VC overseas chrono shown in the photo. I have a small wrist and found it fit well. I just was not wearing it that often and decided to sell it. I am considering a VC overseas World time now. I really want a world time watch but none of them totally hit the features I find important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALAUstin View Post
I really liked the previous generation; would have probably kept it long term if it had the newer strap change system. Definitely heavier and thicker than the 5711 and 15300; wore fairly close to the SubC but not as comfortable mainly because of the lack of quick adjustment in the bracelet.

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:02 AM   #22
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I personally would pass on any VC. I’m sure they make fine watches they just dont speak to me and if you want to sell one in order to buy something else you will take a serious loss.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:58 PM   #23
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
I get turned off by the non-tapared bracelet!
It is tapered – the claps links aren’t the same width as the lug links.
It isn’t as narrow as the RO and Nautilus, but if you prefer that, then why are you even contemplating the VCO at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2008 View Post
I just think there are better options at the price point.

Also - and this is just me, I’d have a tough time buying this watch just like I’d have a tough time buying a Rolex Cellini. Rightly or wrongly, it’s just not what the brand “is” to me.
Such as?
Name another option (that gets taken seriously – so that kills the GP Laureato notion stone dead) that you can walk out of the AD’s store the same day with something to show for the visit?

Your notion of what VC is, is at odds with what their history demonstrates!
They’ve been making an Overseas model since the 90s, or the latter half of the 70s, if you accept the 222 as the logical forerunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I personally would pass on any VC. I’m sure they make fine watches they just dont speak to me and if you want to sell one in order to buy something else you will take a serious loss.
Not everyone is fixated on the residual value, since they accept most commodities are worth less as pre-owned, but will aim for a decent discount in order to lessen the cost of ownership.
Old 20 May 2018, 03:01 PM   #24
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
It is tapered – the claps links aren’t the same width as the lug links.
It isn’t as narrow as the RO and Nautilus, but if you prefer that, then why are you even contemplating the VCO at all?

Such as?
Name another option (that gets taken seriously – so that kills the GP Laureato notion stone dead) that you can walk out of the AD’s store the same day with something to show for the visit?

Your notion of what VC is, is at odds with what their history demonstrates!
They’ve been making an Overseas model since the 90s, or the latter half of the 70s, if you accept the 222 as the logical forerunner.

Not everyone is fixated on the residual value, since they accept most commodities are worth less as pre-owned, but will aim for a decent discount in order to lessen the cost of ownership.

They are? I may have not looked at the pictures right.

I think you're right, I need to go try it on in the metal :)

I am very interested in it.
Old 20 May 2018, 04:02 PM   #25
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

The color and placement of the date window is a catastrophic design fail. Would never buy because of how much those bug me.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:24 PM   #26
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
They are? I may have not looked at the pictures right.

I think you're right, I need to go try it on in the metal :)

I am very interested in it.
Yes, you only have to look at the photo above, of the previous 2nd Gen (49150) to see the taper.
If it didn’t, you’d have a clasp width of 25-26mm, instead of 18-19mm – which is practically identical to the 15400 RO’s.
Old 20 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #27
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I think the VC Overseas Chrono is a cool watch
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:42 PM   #28
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Not a fan of the overseas. I find them too bloated and thick. The blue dial color/contrast esp on the newer version is quite nice though.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:10 PM   #29
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the VC watches and the new model Oversea is nice but price prohibitive. The resale or trade value is horrible and service times according to my AD are inline with PP. Add all of that up and it is a brand I will continue to admire from afar.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:27 PM   #30
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RALAUstin View Post
Definitely heavier and thicker than the 5711 and 15300; wore fairly close to the SubC but not as comfortable mainly because of the lack of quick adjustment in the bracelet.
I've never actually handled the 2nd gen, didn't know the bracelet didn't have quick adjustment. I have the 3rd gen, it does (pretty cool - a bit of length can come out on either side of the deployant clasp, just pull outwards on either side. So you can do one side, or both for even more length, and don't have to take it off as part of the process.)
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote