The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2023, 11:28 PM   #91
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If we ignore the past five or so years of hyperinflation that drove people to 'investment' items to preserve the value of their work/efforts/energy.... Am glad consumers have discovered the joys and art/science of mechanical timepieces.

Hopefully luxurious premium audio is the next to achieve such great status.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 11:40 PM   #92
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I got started with a 34mm Date, fluted bezel, rhodium dial, the new sapphire crystal and a jubilee band. $1,200 with 20% off in 1986.

While I have three Rolexes, I have pivoted to Cartier recently, picking up a 31mm x 40mm rose gold tank from circa 2010 with a Piaget movement and a 40mm stainless Santos. The bracelet on the Santos is extremely well engineered.

Cartier gets a bad rap as jewelry, but they are very well engineered and Cartier Boutiques have excellent customer service.
That version of the Tank is one of my favorite. It’s the one model that Cartier has produced that can compare to their CPCP watches.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 11:46 PM   #93
Norbert
"TRF" Member

I will say that the popularity of Rolex has allowed Rolex to have some great upgrades. I remember when the best advancement Rolex had was the SEL! They could go years without changes. Now the technological upgrades are really coming rapidly and welcomed.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 12:00 AM   #94
raym0016
"TRF" Member

I get the sentiment. It is possible to get into this brand and have a successful intro without too many games but you just have to be realistic with what you want, be front in center in your AD’s mind. Not everyone is successful in the modern Rolex game. That part sucks but for those that can be, the brand is making watches at a lot higher level than 20 years ago.
raym0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 12:02 AM   #95
z_charger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor...Panerai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I believe in a hand up and not a hand out. Plus, a Rolex charitied in another place gets me a village named after me, a diplomatic passport, and land and title. A Rolex here gets me nothing. That’s a winners mindset and why I’m a billionaire and other aren’t.

10x your mindset by Christmas and I might change my mind if Paul approves it. I believe in you

While I can appreciate your luck (being born in a time when things were more affordable is luck, nothing more.) I get strong boomer vibes.

Hand up hand out? Come on man, have you seen interest rates? Enjoy your collection, perhaps consider some philanthropy if you're so blessed. Or just brag on the inter-webs.
z_charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 12:20 AM   #96
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Actually traded a Rolex OP41 for my BP FF Bathyscaphe and have no regrets! I'd been eyeing BP for a long time as iconic as the Sub and was happy to have one.

That's a great looking piece; wish that there was the same diversity of dial/materials options on the 38 as the larger ones. Actually, what I really wish is that the Hodinkee special edition were still in regular production. It's listed on the Blancpain site still (and, strangely, the MSRP goes up every year) but don't think it's still in production.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 12:30 AM   #97
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I'd like to be a billionaire. Where do I start?
You can be anything you want on internet forums.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 01:19 AM   #98
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_charger View Post
While I can appreciate your luck (being born in a time when things were more affordable is luck, nothing more.) I get strong boomer vibes.

Hand up hand out? Come on man, have you seen interest rates? Enjoy your collection, perhaps consider some philanthropy if you're so blessed. Or just brag on the inter-webs.
How dare you! I was charging under 20% apr to my labor for pay advance loans between 1970-1998 ! Today we only charge 13.75% ! Money is everywhere if you know where to look. And as for filamthrowpee - I paid over $3k in tax last year and I donated a used trampoline to the Beverly Hills Shriners !!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 02:04 AM   #99
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Icon14

I've got to say though; Gifting SS Sports Rolex is way better than messing about with dodgy submarines or phallic looking moon rockets. Nevermind the newbies though - Oni wants a Daytona. A used one will do, with no b&p.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 03:15 AM   #100
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlifegoals View Post
Perhaps to cheer you up- it’s still possible for folks to have a meaningful introductory experience with the brand.

My Rolex journey began late 2022 as I geared up to celebrate several milestones in 2023 (work anniversary, milestone wedding anniversary, and a graduate degree).

I walked in to my nearest AD on a random Thursday afternoon and freely admitted that I expected to begin a long journey. I knew I wanted a DJ, OP, or Sub (no date). I told the SA that I was simply hoping to try them all on and prepare for my long wait. My main concern was not knowing what size I wanted of the DJ or the OP.

I tried on the models in the exhibition case, and quickly realized that an OP41/DJ41 was the ticket. I was prepared to “register my interest” and walk out the door. The SA said something to the effect of, “I think I’ve got some DJs in the back that might help you decide what dial you’d like.” He came out with a Silver Dial DJ41 and a Black Dial DJ36. I believe he had a motif dial or two, as well.

After being blown away by the 126334 silver dial, the SA simply said, “I tell ya what- if this is the one you want, I’d be honored to make it available to you.” He let me call my wife to discuss, and I walked out with the watch.

I will always smile when I put on this DJ41!

Now, for the crash back down to the reality you mentioned- when I was abroad in Europe recently, I tried to simply try on some exhibition pieces (had no intention of buying, and was open about it)- and I had two ADs turn me down flat. I was at both locations during the week with limited foot traffic. I had one AD that was more than happy to let me try some models on, to be fair.

Now, I do wish it were easier to get my second Rolex. That is proving to be quite difficult…

That’s great but I’m still in the “you gotta be kidding me” department that the DJ and OP are kept in the back. Assuming SS too? Wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 July 2023, 04:20 AM   #101
KZZN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cellini 5115
Hi,

It's certainly a very strange Rolex world we find ourselves in these days, yes. I bought my first Rolex in 2005, and in a manner very similar to that which many of you have described, I was able to walk in to my AD, see a whole load of different Datejusts in the window, try a few on, and decide on the right one for me. I paid for it then and there, and that was that.

Likewise in 2006 when I bought my Cellini, it was just a case of turning up, looking through the catalog to pick out the one I wanted, then waiting for it to come in. On that occasion my watch had to be ordered specially because of the unusual dial I picked, the decorated mother-of-pearl. But that only took a couple of weeks, and then it was on my wrist. I wanted it, I ordered it, and it was delivered to the AD for me to pick up - simple.

Even as recently as 2016, when I decided I'd quite like an Oyster Perpetual, it was a straightforward case of calling in the morning, asking "do you have this model with this colour dial in stock", being told "yes", then turning up in the afternoon, paying for it, and walking out with it on my wrist.

Now...well, intellectually I understand how we got into this situation, but it will never feel right to me. A world in which people have to wait many months, or even longer, for a Datejust or Day-Date is not a world that will ever seem to me like it makes sense. It's not like you're buying a Calatrava perpetual calendar, or that you've placed an order for a custom-made one-of-a-kind Golay Spierer, or something equally rarified. We're talking about Rolex here - an excellent watch to be sure, but by luxury watch standards, not really that rare or unusual.

Hopefully this whole thing calms down eventually. But I'm not sure. If I was getting into Rolex today, I think I'd almost certainly be buying pre-owned rather than playing the AD waiting game. Some people do get lucky of course and have an initial AD experience not too different from those we used to have back in the day, but this does seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
KZZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 08:08 AM   #102
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
As a Sub/Nautilus/Aquanaut/RO fan, I'm surprised no love for the Defy, Laureato, or Bathyscaphe as next-tier watches.

As an aside, as the proud owner of a 7118, do you plan to complement w/the new VC OS 34.5 when available?
Funny you say this, I have thought heavily lately about the Laureato.
Don't really know the company not a huge face in the US
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 05:06 PM   #103
colpol
"TRF" Member

Got my Sea Dweller in 2005. They didn’t have one in stock but ordered up from a sister branch for next day. Popped back in next lunch hour & bought it. Price was £2475 I think. From memory - the SD was a bit more than the Sub & more of a rarity at the time. There were plenty of subs in the AD at first visit

The waiting list & buying over MRRP from greys is just crazy for SS pieces now
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:37 PM   #104
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
Funny you say this, I have thought heavily lately about the Laureato.
Don't really know the company not a huge face in the US
Yea, it'll be interesting to see if it has more of a presence in the coming years, now that it and UN were bought from Kering and turned into a new company. To me, it's a bit of a "watchmaker's watch" brand, since many of its most famous appearances have been movements in others' watches. Sort of like JLC or even Zenith.

I will say, I miss all of the varieties of the 38mm version that were available at release. Multiple dial, metal, and strap/bracelet variants; even a chronograph. Now it's just the bronze and the green ceramic. Both cool, neither for me.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote