The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 28 May 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
RPB
"TRF" Member

Watch: V Serial 116710LN
Icon5 Opinions please: Pelikan M800 or Montblanc 146 Le Grande?

Hi all :)
As the title, I would like your opinions between the Pelikan M800 and the Montblanc 146 Le Grande fountain pens.
All comments please positive and negative would be appreciated.
I currently own a TWSBI 530 which is a superb FP for very little cost. Made with the help of a lot of people on the FPN Forums.
Whilst I do sometimes like a "name" so to speak, I also know the Pelikan pens are of superb quality as well. they are both almost the same size and so is the TWSBI the same size as well so I know that will suit me.
Thanks all,

Regards,

Rich.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 09:22 PM   #2
ray_g
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 1603
I have had both, as well as the larger Diplomat, and only the Souveran remains. A vintage Montblanc maybe, but of the modern offerings, for me, Pelikan wins hands down. I found the nib much smoother and inkflow was consistent. Skipping, especially after a brief hiatus, was a problem with my MB's, with any ink, even after I had them tweaked. There was also annoying moisture in the cap. The piston of the Pelikan is also a work of art. Lastly, the easily removable/interchangeable nibs of the pelikan is so convenient not only for cleaning, but also if you just want to try a custom ground nib.
ray_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
RPB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_g View Post
I have had both, as well as the larger Diplomat, and only the Souveran remains. A vintage Montblanc maybe, but of the modern offerings, for me, Pelikan wins hands down. I found the nib much smoother and inkflow was consistent. Skipping, especially after a brief hiatus, was a problem with my MB's, with any ink, even after I had them tweaked. There was also annoying moisture in the cap. The piston of the Pelikan is also a work of art. Lastly, the easily removable/interchangeable nibs of the pelikan is so convenient not only for cleaning, but also if you just want to try a custom ground nib.
Thanks ray_g. Just the kind of "review" I was after. Some of your points I had not even considered either so it will certainly help me make my mind up!

One other question for you, what size nibs were you using? I currently use a F in my TWSBI but i am even thinking about an EF in the Pelikan. I have smaller hand writing and sometimes on some paper the writing gets a little too thick for my liking.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
ray_g
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 1603
Pelikan nibs tend to write broader than marked, which you had alluded to. An EF would be about an F in most other brands. I typically use M and B, but my favorite Pelikan nib is a med cursive italic from Richard Binder (www.richardspens.com).
ray_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Both companies make great pens as I do own many MontBlancs and a couple of Pelikans. I happen to like the smaller pens with the smaller nibs...I usually use an extra fine nib but there are nibs even smaller(accountant and needle)which I own as well. My suggestion would be to go to a store and check out both brands and test different nib sizes!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 07:46 AM   #6
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
If you get the Pelikan with Richard, make sure you specify you want the nib grounded by Richard himself. If the nib was done by him, he always accompanies a test note with the first words from Lincoln's Gettysburg address.
BTW, I think a cursive italic fine grind is quite unforgiving on low quality papers. I prefer stubbed italic fine grind nowadays, not as crisp, but it usually has no mishaps on cheap papers.

P.S. On my modern MB's (and I do have a few), I don't get moisture condensation on the nib, even I carry them on my shirt pocket (body heat).
Also, they are smooth and wet writers.
One point I must concede is that I like Pelikan's changeable nib which is not existent in MBs. However, this is also where MB excels. They've got highly artistic nib designs, while nearly every modern Pelikans have the same nib engravings (granted some may be 2 tone, single tone, but no other differences).
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
blackmsport
Banned

I have both and M800 is possibly best bang for bucks

Very comfortable pen to hold and write

Lots of M800 brand new online for < $300
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
RPB
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks. I am in the UK so will be buying from nichepens.co.uk
Can speak to them, etc and ensure I get the best service possible. I think I have made my mind up and am getting the M800 Blue o' Blue and EF nib. Awesome! lol
Old 29 May 2011, 10:58 AM   #9
2careless
"TRF" Member

Good choice for the blue o blue. The material is translucent and very mesmerising.
Here's mine.

BTW I'd also look at their M620 "Cities of the World" series. I don't think they still make them but there are still lots of NOS around.
Beautiful pens, especially the Athens, Stockholm, Chicago and New York.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:01 AM   #10
RPB
"TRF" Member

2careless that looks awesome! I have been trawling all the pictures on the t'internet finding the ones that show up the translucency of this FP and your picture does that well! Blue is my favourite colour as well and so this is why I am so drawn to it.
Thanks for the picture. Please post more if you have them, I am interested :)
Old 30 May 2011, 06:59 AM   #11
2careless
"TRF" Member

This is my only other picture. I didn't take too many pictures on this pen...
The barrel is also translucent but only behind strong light. It gives you just enough to show the ink level.

Old 31 May 2011, 06:42 PM   #12
gelshocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
while nearly every modern Pelikans have the same nib engravings (granted some may be 2 tone, single tone, but no other differences).
This is so true. I think one should also consider the artistic factor/appearance in choosing to use fountain pen, not just functionality. Cheers!
gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2011, 05:43 AM   #13
RPB
"TRF" Member

I've only gone and done it! lol. Credit card out and ordered the M800 Blue o' Blue with an EF nib. The beauty of talking to Niche pens was the ability to also receive an F nib as well should I wish to try that. I had a good chat about it and that is a good idea for me, just in case! Although not a cheap ink either, I bit the bullet and got some Noodler's X-Feather ink coming as well. Most of my journalling has been in the Rhodia but that was purely because it takes my ink better, but now the x-feather ink is coming I will start journalling on some Andrex! Hahaha. Mind you, that ain't cheap either is it?