The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 April 2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Dima929
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233 DateJust
Date on Rolex Switching at Different Times PLEASE ADVISE!

Hello,

I recently purchased my first Rolex, it's a "Rolex Oyster Perpetual DateJust" (attaching picture to this post).
I bought it at a pawnshop and took it straight to my authorized Rolex dealer and had it serviced. They told me it would take 5 weeks and I went ahead and dropped it off.
I went back 5 weeks later and it was ready (attaching service receipt picture to this post as well). I paid $800 for the service and the new parts they had to order and the Rolex looked great!
I was super excited and after a few days I really started reading a lot about mechanical watches, Rolex's in particular. I noticed that after setting the watch to my iPhone the next day it gained about 4 seconds and 3 days later it is running about 10 seconds faster. That night I set my alarm for 11:59pm to see how the date switch would go, it switched dates at 12:01am and 15 seconds. In my reading I learned that it is normal for mechanical Rolex's to gain up 6 minutes a month and loose up 3 minutes per month. I also read that it is completely normal for dates not to switch exactly at midnight, BUT that it SHOULD be switching dates at the same time every night.
So I wanted to make sure that was the case and decided to see what time the date would change the next day.
Yesterday I again set my alarm for 11:59pm and this time the date changed at 12:01am and 20 seconds, it was definitely not the exact same time as the night before, only by a few seconds but NOT the same. On this forum in other posts is where I read that it's normal for the date not to change exactly at midnight but that is should be changing at EXACTLY the same time each night.
So I wanted to post and see if there are any Rolex techs or experts out there that could advise me on this issue. I know this must seem like a borderline OCD question, worrying about a few seconds. But since my Rolex was pre-owned when I bought it I just want to be 100% sure that everything is working as it should (especially with what I read on this forum as mentioned above). I don't want to go drop it back off where I got it serviced for another 5 weeks just to be told that there is nothing wrong. I am assuming that my Rolex is 100% genuine as I don't see how an authorized Rolex service center would have service and order parts for a fake Rolex and the pawn shop guaranteed that it's authentic too.
Thank you for your replies in advance, I do apologize if this is a dumb noob question and am very grateful for anyone who takes the time and replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (178.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png Rolex2.png (137.7 KB, 97 views)
Dima929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 10:29 PM   #2
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Accuracy is within specs, the watch gained 10 sec in 4 days, thats 2.5s/day, The watch is within COSC +4/-6s/day.

Your deviation of 5 sec in date change is nothing I would worry about.

Remember there will always be some variations in the gain/loss per day according to your daily activity. Also the place you took the watch has a CW21 watchmaker, that is very good peace of mind.

You watch is fine, just enjoy it!! and have a full night of sleep.

FYI you should check the time against an atomic clock on the same device. I check mine against time.is. If you really want to see the health of the movement go back to the jewelry and ask them to put them in their timegrapher and teach you...
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 10:46 PM   #3
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Also found this from one of our moderators, which confirms that you should not worry about the 5 sec difference in date change.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...8&postcount=12

"The date change on a Rolex is not directly connected to the hands. There is a plate with a detent (cam) that arrives at one position every 24 hours. This detent allows a roller to move into the detent, then, when it is completely clear, a spring lever slaps the date over.

There is some variability in this arrangement since there are several moving parts, all independent from the watch hand gears.

This arrangement is why you can change the date manually at any time - no gears are engaged as in other movements. It is also why it is said to be "instantaneous" as the spring lever actually slaps it, in a blink, to the next day."
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote