The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 18 August 2012, 08:34 PM   #31
S3C

Watch: Day Date
Mont Blanc is a classic. In my opinion, you could think of it as if it were a car, it would be a Mercedes wherein it is the most recognized (arguably) premium brand but then you'd have BMW, Audi, or perhaps the more luxurious Rolls Royce. If you're going for versatility in terms of brand recognition, quality, elegance, and value, then you'd be safe with an MB. It's also a "safe" choice for luxury pens. I think Cross and Caran d' Ache makes impressive quality pens too!

Good Day everyone!
S3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 11:56 AM   #32
slim4511
"TRF" Member

I love my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Roller Ball Platinum. Been using it for about 3 years and prefer it over a number of top brand others that I have tried over the years.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 12:04 PM   #33
LeslieC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14000, 116710
I almost bought a MB but really was captured by the Visconti line. Fantastic pens.
LeslieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 06:54 PM   #34
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
In my opinion, Caran D'Ache makes the best ballpoint cartridges. I found a simple BP pen from them for about $180. IMHO it writes much nicer than any MB BP.
i agree mate

rolex pens are caran d'ache
Old 7 September 2012, 08:21 PM   #35
de66
"TRF" Member

I personally believe that rollerballs dont write well on all kinds of paper, similar to fountain pens. The ink doesnt always stay "tight" (not sure how else to explain it). For daily use Ballpoint is my pen of choice.
Choice of brand depends on what you wish to achieve. If you work in finance or banking or have to deal with folk from that world: go for Montblanc. Very popular in that world because IMHO most of those type of guys just dont know better and thats probably all they recognize (the MB logo is nicely visible out of a shirt frontpocket and instantly recognizable).
I personally havent noticed too much difference between the writing comfort between various ballpoints (parker, cross, montblanc, CarandAche) although the actual size and shape made the difference. I have days where I have to write a lot and fast and I prefer a round ballpoint. Hexagonal ones or other shapes start to become painful after long periods of continued speedy writing. Cross tends to be too thin for me
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 10:01 AM   #36
AmbSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omega,JLC,Breg
Give Montegrappa a shot
Old 8 September 2012, 03:26 PM   #37
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
I'm thinking about getting a nice pen for daily use and notice that Mont Blanc seems to get most of the attention on here. Are these generally considered the best pens?

I picked up a Montblanc starwalker midnight BP not too long ago for daily use as well. So far I love it! I even like the MB refills. I didn't think there would be much difference with ballpoints but going back to my retro51 tornado feels like I'm driving a truck compared to my MB. Good stuff. Writes smooth and feels very nice. No regrets. Note: I still love my tornado but there's a substantial difference.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 03:30 PM   #38
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I think Mont Blanc is really like Rolex. Smart and rugged. Not complicated. Goes with everything. Personally, I cannot be bothered with anything else.
Old 8 September 2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Ticking Away
"TRF" Member

I've used the MB Le Grande ballpoint (with broad refill) for my daily writer for many years. Absolutely love it. Like my Rolex, that pen goes everywhere I do.
Ticking Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2012, 11:02 AM   #40
orfew

I have over 20 MBs and also have a few others such as Lamy Fps and a Monteverde RB. Half of my MBs are rollerballs and half are Fps. I just choose the right tool for the job at hand. The 40's-60's Fps are the best IMHO. I like a semi flex to flex nib and these MBs are amazing writers. For a pure writing experience there is nothing better. They also do not have to be expensive. One of the best writers is an early 50's MB 342G. It is over 60 years old and writes like a dream. It also cost about 150.00.

AS for the ballpoints, I have one. It is a very good ballpoint but I am not really a BP person, I prefer Fps. The rollerballs are a very good choice when I am away from my pots of ink. Of course I also have a couple of cartridge Fps by MB that work really well. My favorite of these would be the 147 traveler-an excellent pen.

In short, write with what you like and buy the best you can afford. Go to a major pen shop and try out a bunch of different brands and configurations. If you decide on a fountain pen remember to buy the nib first and then the brand. The nib is everything in terms of writing comfort and preference.
orfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 06:28 AM   #41
Blue September
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I suspect that some MBs are fabulous, and others are dogs. I wanted a top of the range fountain pen and bought a MB. It is temperamental and unreliable, but gorgeous. Bit like my ex.
I suspect they put more effort into the branding than into designing them for use.
Just my view.
John
Blue September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 02:00 PM   #42
kamalrae
"TRF" Member

I have a couple of MB's and a set of Caran D'Ache. Haven't experienced any problems with either the RB or BP in either set. I much prefer the weighting in my MB's though. I don't know that it's necessarily worth spending the money on anything but a fountain pen, but it's nice to have a couple of decent pens. Just bought my girlfriend a ball-point with a diamond in the top in the shape of the MB mark.
kamalrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 04:49 AM   #43
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
MBs are the most recognized writing instruments, and like wearing a Rolex it says something about the man or woman carrying one.

MB's quality has dissipated over the last few decades so many of mine are vintage pens from the 50s through the 80s, but I do own 1/2 dozen current models and they are okay. I particularly like the Writer's Editions and their design. Keeps me interested.

Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 01:49 PM   #44
Lol-x
Facilitator

Yes Richard, I too like the writer's series.
Especially the Agatha, Proust and Wilde.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 11:12 PM   #45
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I am in total agreement I like the writers' series as well.....they are very distinctive and I also like their other Limited Editions...as I have the John Lennon fountain pen and it's amazing!!!
Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2012, 11:14 PM   #46
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue September View Post
I suspect that some MBs are fabulous, and others are dogs. I wanted a top of the range fountain pen and bought a MB. It is temperamental and unreliable, but gorgeous. Bit like my ex.
I suspect they put more effort into the branding than into designing them for use.
Just my view.
John
Sorry for your experience...as I have a dozen or so MontBlancs and have had no problems at all!!!
Take it easy.....Leo

Old 29 November 2012, 09:11 AM   #47
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Sorry for your experience...as I have a dozen or so MontBlancs and have had no problems at all!!!
Take it easy.....Leo
Same here! I especially like my Poe. I have RB, BP, and FP with no problem. I do like the Fisher Space Pen Cartridge. Here is the best of both worlds. The MB Pen and a Fisher MB4 Cartridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121128_150541.jpg (48.4 KB, 387 views)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 11:14 AM   #48
Lol-x
Facilitator

In some instances Mont Blancs are like Rolex.
They are both produced in their hundreds of thousands annually.
They both have manufacturer's warranties.
They are both mechanical devices.
Mechanical devices are subject to manufacturing defects and other inherent mechanical failures.

Now, you could return your Mont Blanc pen under warranty and have it sent back to the factory for rectification. Alternatively you could send your pen to a local (I mean in the USA) pen expert.

These pen experts can work absolute wonders with your pen, and make it function like it was intended..

Good Luck

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 01:13 PM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
i carry a waterman expert. i have done so for about 10 years. it cost $60 and is an exceptional pen. i had mont blanc one and i did like it, and i do think it was a smoother writing pen, but i would never go back. i love my waterman.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2013, 11:21 AM   #50
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

I agree!

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambsteve View Post
give montegrappa a shot
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 11:11 AM   #51
George Burdell
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've got a few MBs, and they're fine. They get lots of love here.

However, on my desk inked up are an Edison Pearl in Celluloid, a TWSBI 540, a Lamy 2000, and a Namiki Falcon. All fantastic writers that are my go-tos over my MB Chopin (which is a fine pen). The TWSBI is only about $40 and it will accommodate a Pelikan nib if you want to go gold. It's solid.
George Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2013, 03:17 PM   #52
Bill pilgrim

Watch: GMT Master ll
Meisterstuck classic roller ball is my pen of choice. My real love is for pencils I carry only one, eberhard faber blackwing 602
Bill pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2013, 11:38 PM   #53
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill pilgrim View Post
Meisterstuck classic roller ball is my pen of choice. My real love is for pencils I carry only one, eberhard faber blackwing 602
I too enjoy pencils and have been using mechanical pencils since I was 9 years old.....I have many but my favorites are the Drafting pencils I received from my Dad that he used in college back in the late 1930's!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 8 February 2013, 02:46 PM   #54
andpassport
"TRF" Member

Montblanc ballpoints and rollerballs are the best,but the fountain pens are not as good. Find Visconti and Namiki Pilot to be VASTLY superior. Strangely, I found Montblanc superiority in its leather products.
andpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:22 PM   #55
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
Everyone tends to grab a Meisterstuck Montblanc as they are the ones in the window but if you would like something really special that not only writes well but looks amazing and will grow in value over the years then get yourself a Montblanc Patron Of Arts, they release a new one each year as a commemorative
100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 01:25 PM   #56
domenick512
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618
I have a couple of MB's and never had any issues with them. I received a Visconti as a gift and within three years I could see a split in it. I'm not sure if it may have been crushed or something, but I treated it carefully just like my other pens.
domenick512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 04:39 PM   #57
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Just started into pens. I have two 1980's MB Slimlines in BP and RB and love them both.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2013, 07:11 AM   #58
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
S.T. DuPont make a classy pen.
Old 17 October 2013, 07:55 AM   #59
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
Hi there. I'm a FP nut who's slowly learning. Started with Lamy's and went to a Pelikan 205 which was very nice (barrel fill which is my preference). But the other day I really went crazy and got a Sailor. Sailor is a japanese brand with a reputation for very good quality gold nibs. This thing is so smooth and can achieve fineness I haven't seen except in specific drafting pens (Rotring). I highly recommend a Sailor to people!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2013, 12:56 AM   #60
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Montblanc do make good pens but as far as I have heard it is for fountain pens. There RBs or BPs are just so-so. Though MB FPs are nice writers I do find their design or use of livelier design too conservative just like the Parkers.

Though of late Parkers have updated their pen design and choices of colors. However, the Parker nibs mechanism have been a couple of steps back to their heyday. The new Parker nibs are just run of the mill, even scratchy.

I have since discover Pelikans mainly because I was looking for a better looking pen with lively colors and designs. The Pelikan Souverans are really lookers and the recent nib releases are really smooth flexible and fine writers. You can actually write "calligraphy" quality even with a M nib. I just got my M600 and will be getting an M800 soon and in the future a M1000. I am sold to Pelikan and it's German technology.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote