The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 29 September 2012, 02:55 AM   #1
mks4
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
My "new" L-series Explorer 1016

I recently purchased a fantastic example of an L-series 1016 Explorer. I still have the "new watch glow" and because of the watch's time capsule-esque condition, I thought it would be a perfect time to write a review. This won't be such a technical review, but more of my feelings about this watch. First, though, some personal background…

In 1998, about 6 months after I graduated from university, I decided to buy my first Rolex. The 14270 Explorer was at the top of the list, primarily because of its size (I have small wrists), my father liked it, and because it was understated versus other Rolexes. Well, finding a new 14270 was not easy in those days. Many of you will remember that Japan and some other Asian countries were going nuts over Explorers due to their prominence in a Japanese TV show. Luckily, or unluckily, I landed a job in a truly awful part of Ohio and the local AD, who was about to lose their line, had a 14270. So, after days of mulling it over, I sprang for the watch and made use of their 0%, 12-month financing. The 14270 was a sense of accomplishment for me and it still holds a special place for me like no other watch. It continues to get loads of wrist time and looks good with everything from a bathing suit to a tuxedo (trust me, I've done it!). I love my other watches, but nothing has ever felt as special as my 14270. I began thinking that perhaps the "father" of the 14270 would give me that special feeling as well; the hunt began.

After a year or two of semi-serious searching and taking detours that led to the purchase of other watches, I finally found a 1016 that ticked my boxes. Chief on my list of criteria was to find a very late model 1016 that showed little aging, came with a factory-specified non-folded bracelet, and had its original domed crystal. Box and papers were a nicety but not a must-have.

The 1016 I found was from a private seller who was the second owner of the watch. The watch is an L-series and was originally sold in 1990. Both owners kept all documents and boxes. The second owner had the watch serviced and replaced the main gasket, domed crystal and crown/tube/stem. All old parts were supplied with the watch and an OEM original domed crystal was used in the replacement. The purchase price was high, but the completeness was stunning…not a thing is missing (hang tag and all).

So, after receiving the watch, what do I think? Well, first, I must say that the 1016 lived a long life of over 25 years in production with few changes. By the time, this piece was sold in 1990, it must have looked absolutely ancient in the case next to Subs and GMT's with sapphire crystals and dials with applied markers. I prefer to think of the late series 1016's like a 993 model Porsche 911: the last of an era. An anachronism but still a very strong and stylish performer.

Case: from a side view perspective, there are few things more gorgeous than a side view of a perfectly polished oyster case. Lug holes ice the cake. The 1016 has these attributes and when compared to a larger sub; the view is downright elegant. It's high style and the simplicity of the watch itself really allows features such as the case to stand out. Other things one notices from the side when comparing to models such as the 14270 is the shallower case back as the 1570 movement must be a bit slimmer. The other most important bit is the domed crystal. I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a 1016 with the domed crystal. It is one of the most amazing pieces of the watch and really what makes it such a throwback offering. I've tried on similar vintage 1016's with the flatter replacement crystal and something is lost in my opinion. Go dome or stay home!

Dial/hands: well, the dial is what makes this watch legendary and evocative of its much discussed trek up Everest. On the L-series, it's in fantastic form and it's frankly a piece of art that's not been replicated by Rolex since. It looks so old unlike the matte dial Submariners. The font used for the numbers on the 1016 looks so simple and this, to me, makes it look much older than its real age. Legibility is fantastic and like later Explorers, might have one the greatest uncluttered dials ever created. The 1016 does not look like it would "dress up" as well as a 14270. Maybe the glossier dial or white gold surrounds on the 14270 give it the formal edge. Not a bad thing, but an observation nonetheless. The hands are classic Rolex sport watch and suit the watch perfectly. Rolex did not mess with this perfection on the 14270 and that's a good thing.

Bracelet: the 78360 with 580 EL's sounds like a rattle trap! That being said, it just adds character. My 14270 has the same bracelet but 558B EL's. While there's no major difference, the 14270 feels more solid.

The movement: well, not much to say about the 1570 movement other than it's stout and beats a lot slower than newer movements. However, it's keeping time fantastically and that's enough for me.

Weight/feel/wrist presence: there's no doubt that the 1016 is a lightweight when compared to a 14270 or any modern Rolex. The plastic crystal, slimmer casebook, all add to a lighter feel. While both old and newer are 36mm, the 1016 has less wrist presence. This is likely due to the domed crystal which seems to draw the eyes to the center of the watch whereas the flat sapphire of the 14270 puts the entire watch head into focus. The smooth bezel on the 1016 also appears to be a bit narrower which gives the watch more of a slight look. That being said, the 1016 sits well even after I've walked around all day in a Sub or GMT. It's a nice size that's not too big or not too small.

So what do I think? In the end, the 1016 is everything and more than I thought it would be. When I unboxed it for the first time, it was a great feeling and I got goosebumps. I even slowed down to savor the moment (you WIS' know you can only see it once one time…that sounds funny). The dial and domed crystal absolutely make the watch but I do think they need to be in tandem. The bit about Rolex making a watch up until roughly 1989 that was so out of date really strikes a chord with me. I know that Explorers were/are not sellers to the level of Subs or DJ's so this is why they likely left updates of the 1016 to a later date, but it's a neat piece the likes of which we'll not see again. While I am in love with the 1016, I have also come to realize that I will never again get that "hard-earned" feeling I have for my 14270. Also, in studying both side to side, I appreciate the 14270 and think that Rolex did an amazing job by creating a modern, yet respectful homage to the original.

Other notes: while negotiating my 1016 over countless emails, I had the opportunity to travel to Japan for business and visited some used/vintage watch shops. While many of us consider the vintage Rolex market to be global, I find it very intriguing that certain vintage models garner greater interest in certain markets. I found four 1016's while in Tokyo and all were within 3 years of my L-series. The prices ranged anywhere from roughly 6,800 Euro to well over 12,000 Euro! The interesting thing is that the lower cost model was sold and 2 others priced in the mid 8,000's have been sold in the last 2 weeks…regional fervor indeed! When looking for 1016's they seem darn hard to find. People seem to hang onto them and they do not enter the market as frequently as Subs. I suppose they are out there, but it is much harder to find a high condition age-specific 1016 than, say, a 5513 matte dial sub in my opinion. Heck, I even see more red subs. So, patience is key.

In the end, I recommend taking a look at a late model 1016. They're not forgotten, but they certainly do not get the press of the larger sports watches. It's a nice alternative to a vintage Sub especially if you are one that already has several Subs. It provides a different look that oozes "I'm in the know" or something like that. Just remember, get one with a dome or have one installed…it truly makes the watch.

If you're still here, thanks for reading and I apologize ahead of time for the quality of my photos.Attachment 317367
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3665.jpg (39.0 KB, 1224 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3668.jpg (33.1 KB, 1216 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15295.jpg (35.1 KB, 1204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3656.jpg (25.7 KB, 1206 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3650.jpg (44.1 KB, 1200 views)
Heuer (Tag): Temporada/Super Pro/F1
Seiko: 6159/6105/6117/6138/6139/6309/69799
mks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
apan
"TRF" Member

As someone who has previously owned a 14270 and now currently owns a 1016, I find your review to be spot on.

I have also noticed that sourcing a mint condition 1016 has proven to be much more difficult than a comparable 5513 / 1680 / 1675.

Your L-serial appears to be in amazing condition - the domed T22 and crisp bezel and case look outstanding.
apan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Nice L serial 1016 Rolex have never made a series of any watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
Great story! I enjoyed reading about your quest as well as your review!
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks for the very nice read

I really like the 1016 model, it is such a classic model. i've had mine for quite a few years now and it really is one of my most favorite models. I paid a very high price for my 1016 and I agree with you they are difficult to find in pristine condition.

My 1016 is also an "L" serial and I believe it is dated to 1990.

As shown in your photographs my endlinks also stand slightly proud above the level of the case, but it is really nice in every way. I searched for my 1016 for so long that I paid top dollar and because the condition of the piece was so nice I sacrificed the desire to acquire one with factory papers.

My only point of disagreement is that the 993 was the last of an era. I would respectfully submit that the 964 (the model that immediately preceded the 993) was the end of an era as it was the last to have the tradition and iconic 'frog eye' front end. In that regard I own the 964 too must be something wrong with me.

Wear your 1016 in good health.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice watch and interesting read
Old 2 October 2012, 07:06 AM   #7
mks4
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Lol-x, love the 964 comment...let's agree that both the 964 and 993 would both get invited to the same party...an air-cooled one! Saw an C2 today on the autobahn and it looked fantastic!

Btw, thanks for the feedback on the review to all. Writing one seems like a good idea with a glass of wine in hand on a Friday but you never know!
Heuer (Tag): Temporada/Super Pro/F1
Seiko: 6159/6105/6117/6138/6139/6309/69799
mks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2012, 11:03 AM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks very sharp!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

that was a great post...makes me want a 1016 even more now
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 01:22 AM   #10
simplerolex

Watch: Milsub 5513/5517
Very nice and classic timepiece! (Congrats!)
simplerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 12:03 PM   #11
dswthree
"TRF" Member

I received my Explorer (1016) for graduation from boarding school in 1971, somehow it survived my college years and and has now been overhauled 4 times. One of my classmates also received one and it is always a pleasure to see both him and his watch at our 5 year reunions. Amazing that of all the watches my parents could have chosen, they picked this one and paid the princely sum of $385. It is my daily wear and still my favorite timepiece.
dswthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2023, 01:00 AM   #12
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswthree View Post
I received my Explorer (1016) for graduation from boarding school in 1971, somehow it survived my college years and and has now been overhauled 4 times. One of my classmates also received one and it is always a pleasure to see both him and his watch at our 5 year reunions. Amazing that of all the watches my parents could have chosen, they picked this one and paid the princely sum of $385. It is my daily wear and still my favorite timepiece.
Great story !
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2023, 03:31 AM   #13
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Finding the right watch is definitely a journey. Enjoy!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2023, 06:08 AM   #14
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch and great read.