The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 December 2019, 01:25 AM   #1
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Ball Watches: Two Current Models

Because of their use of Tritium they've recently caught my eye. Two in particular appear exceptional. I've preordered one of them.

First the Engineer Hydrocarbon Original has back lit tritium tubes which show through selective transparent regions of a sapphire bezel insert. It uses an ETA 2892-2A movement (BALL RR1102-CSL).

The second is the one I've preordered. This is a Roadmaster M Archangel which I've ordered. It's available in multiple diameters however I've chosen the 40mm version hoping it will feel comfortable on my 6.5 in wrist. Unlike the Hydrocarbon Original it has a ceramic bezel with Super Luminova numerals, Tritium tube dial and hand markers, an inhouse manufactured movement, and is serialized. I'm getting serialized 1/1000, fwiw. It's orderable in varied coloring of which I've chosen Blue/Blue. Having sold off my other divers, I've felt a bit of a vacuum in the Dive watch category so this will be my Dive watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #2
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Ball makes a terrific product at great pricing. Congrats!
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:29 AM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Have had a couple Ball watches thru out the years. Have always been lookers and performed well. Just have never stuck around. Those are a couple great examples.

My local Jewelry store was an AD for quite a while and got sick of Ball direct marketing to their customers with 40% off coupons for their next purchase when they registered their warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:31 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Because of their use of Tritium they've recently caught my eye. Two in particular appear exceptional. I've preordered one of them.

First the Engineer Hydrocarbon Original has back lit tritium tubes which show through selective transparent regions of a sapphire bezel insert. It uses an ETA 2892-2A movement (BALL RR1102-CSL).

The second is the one I've preordered. This is a Roadmaster M Archangel which I've ordered. It's available in multiple diameters however I've chosen the 40mm version hoping it will feel comfortable on my 6.5 in wrist. Unlike the Hydrocarbon Original it has a ceramic bezel with Super Luminova numerals, Tritium tube dial and hand markers, an inhouse manufactured movement, and is serialized. I'm getting serialized 1/1000, fwiw. It's orderable in varied coloring of which I've chosen Blue/Blue. Having sold off my other divers, I've felt a bit of a vacuum in the Dive watch category so this will be my Dive watch.

Nice pick Lee, update with a review / pictures when you get it!

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 12:03 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Nice pick Lee, update with a review / pictures when you get it!

Thanks, Francisco; I definitely will when it comes in. The difficult thing is not buying both. I think I made the right choice with the 80 hour reserve in-house movement of which also I like the looks. I'm not as fond about the crown guard set up on the Hydrocarbon Original and the ETA sourced movement I never previously experienced a Tritium lume which was working. Having bought my first a few months back, I'm truly hooked.

Old 8 December 2019, 01:09 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve had 2 Ball watches and liked the legible dial/hands in any light. It is the best camping/adventure watch.

You should enjoy seeing this in the Archangel’s sapphire caseback:

My only niggles were the bracelet clasp was fiddly for me - just never liked it. But put the Ball on a strap and very nice.

I also disliked their policy against indie watchmakers getting parts. So when it came time for servicing, just traded them out of the collection.

If you’re into them for 5 years or less, they are great.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:27 PM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Love the thick bezel on the second one. Both are very nice though. That blue dial on the one you ordered is mesmerizing. Great choice. It is the one I would have picked.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:30 PM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Who is Tom and Mary engraved on the back? Your name is Lee, right?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 04:07 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’ve had 2 Ball watches and liked the legible dial/hands in any light. It is the best camping/adventure watch.

You should enjoy seeing this in the Archangel’s sapphire caseback:

My only niggles were the bracelet clasp was fiddly for me - just never liked it. But put the Ball on a strap and very nice.

I also disliked their policy against indie watchmakers getting parts. So when it came time for servicing, just traded them out of the collection.

If you’re into them for 5 years or less, they are great.

Yes they did a great job on the decoration of the engine. I really like it. We'll see how their new inhouse movements hold up. It'll also be interesting to see if it meets the COSC spec. 80 hours is respectable for power reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Who is Tom and Mary engraved on the back? Your name is Lee, right?
John, that's there model; mine isn't made yet. I have no idea why they have that. Maybe it's the on the 42mm or maybe just a model and not an actual watch. Mine won't have name engraved. BTW, thanks; I really like the blue as well. Like it more than the Blue used by Rolex on the DJs etc. It'll be a wait until April or May but that's nothing new.

Old 10 December 2019, 02:28 PM   #10
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Great looking piece. I'm also curious / mesmerized by the Tritium tube technology. The blue / SS is reminiscent of the Rolex sub, yet the case craftsmanship seems more intricate. The decorated mvt. and power reserve are definitely desirable.

Please, post details when It's in your possession - I think It's great reference. (of which I know virtually nothing.) I'm gonna hit the net and do some research.
Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 06:15 AM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Great looking piece. I'm also curious / mesmerized by the Tritium tube technology. The blue / SS is reminiscent of the Rolex sub, yet the case craftsmanship seems more intricate. The decorated mvt. and power reserve are definitely desirable.

Please, post details when It's in your possession - I think It's great reference. (of which I know virtually nothing.) I'm gonna hit the net and do some research.
Thanks for posting!

I love the tritium lumes!!! On the watch which I've got it glows at night without fail. Every night, all night long. No concern about making certain it's been exposed to light. I really like this. Again I'm anxious to receive the Archangel and I'll certainly give a review once I've gotten it.

Old 11 December 2019, 08:01 AM   #12
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I look forward to it Lee. My fascination with luminescence started when I received my first heavily lumed Seiko back in the early 70's. I really enjoyed that watch but I really loved the fact I could 'play' with it at night under the covers. (Listening to the radio until all hours since my attraction to music was / is worse than being a WIS.) When my father bought a set of "glow in the dark" starfields and planets for my ceiling, I was forever hooked. They glowed almost all night with a deep shade of purple! Ah, the simple amusements of a young lad.

Anyway, cheers on the new reference and I appreciate your post.

Mark

mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote