The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2019, 11:40 PM   #1
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Looking for an AC

Planning on thinning the heard and trading 2 for one in which to get add another Patek to the collection. I have for a long time lusted over the 5205R with cream dial but my head is beginning to turn towards the 5396r12 with a Breguet numerals.
In looking at the pro’s and con’s of both I have come to the following conclusions.

PRO
Modern interpretation of AC
In-line day date and month
Sculpted lugs
Great legibility
Good size (wears smaller than 40mm)

CONS
Sits high on the wrist
Day and month text seems informal in which to fill window
Tang buckle
Tanks in value

PRO
Classic Patek look with modern yet classical layout
Wear bigger than its 38.5 size but smaller than 5205
Great legibility
Breguet numerals
Can be found on bracelet and strap
Deployant

CONS
Date window cuts away at 24hr indicator
Jumbled day/date/month
Tanks in value

To complicate matters the more I have looked into it I’ve started finding other ideas Pre Owned Datograph for slightly more money whilst plenty naysayers suggest overlooking ACs all together and going straight to perpetual all of which is offset in a background of sports watch euphoria.

The rest of my collection had Nautilus, Pepsi, Day date and others so a nice dress watch would hit the spot but what day you if you have say $36k to
Spend?

Advice welcome
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
I like the 5205. Beautiful watch!
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:57 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 5205!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:02 AM   #4
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I own a 5205R cream dial. The case is exquisite and a joy to both wear and admire. Dial wise, it's more easy to read the date compare to the 5396 imo. I don't think it sits very high on the wrist but it does wears small. Can add a deployant buckle if you so prefer ( which I did ) but yes it doesn't come with that option.

Nearly all dressy PP doesn't hold value nowadays due to the popularity of SS sports watches like Nautilus and Aquanault. A shame really because these are beautifully made watches but the plus is that there is actual availability and no silly AD games to play and waiting list to endure. Yes, value doesn't hold but It doesn't matter to me as I have it for 5 years now and have no plans to sell it.
Old 22 July 2019, 12:05 AM   #5
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
On those 2 options 5205...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:09 AM   #6
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
Have owned a few iterations of 5396; it was the first Patek I was visually drawn to. Didn’t find it immensely versatile in the end. Of the current dress watch line up I do lean towards the 5205 range. Black dial/RGold being my fave combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tiberiustime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:30 AM   #7
bob101
"TRF" Member

Of these two the 5205 for me. I'd probably go for the 5146 however as looks a bit less formal to me and like the cream dial.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:38 AM   #8
Aquaman
Banned

I would personally go 5396 g non sector dial, plain simple, and u can see it follows the style up from Calatrava to 5496, also 5320

Only my opinion

And correct all tanks in value, buy pre owned
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:15 AM   #9
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I recently got a 5135G in a trade. I won't count out the Gondolas!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:44 AM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Do you like the gondola more or the Code?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:47 AM   #11
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:

is that the start of your sales pitch?
Old 22 July 2019, 03:55 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
is that the start of your sales pitch?

Hey - I kinda like it. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:59 AM   #13
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Hey - I kinda like it. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 of my clients has a gondalo, it looks cool on him, but he is 80
Old 22 July 2019, 04:02 AM   #14
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I own the 5205R-001 (rose gold with opaline white dial). I think it's drop-dead gorgeous, classic yet forward-looking, supremely elegant, extremely legible and very comfortable on the wrist, since the watch wraps around the wrist as the lugs go downward toward the outer extremities. Its curvy case is incredibly nuanced and distinctive, I think.

As for "sits high on the wrist", I honestly think that is a misconception. The watch is actually somewhat thin considering how substantial it is - it's actually 11.4mm thick, which isn't that much. The issue is really about the bezel: the bezel is wide and also concave, giving an upward slope ending with the crystal, making the crystal appear to sit high but in fact it's more about the bezel rising up quickly to the plateau of the crystal. In fact, that may add some center of gravity, contributing to making the watch feel very good on the wrist.

The more notable effect of the bezel being shaped that way is that the watch wears smaller than its 40mm diameter would suggest, and the watch also slips far more easily under a cuff. The bezel shape also prevents hairline scratches on the bezel since it is concave. Also, due to the high polish of the bezel, it can sometimes give an illusion of being convex rather than concave, adding the nuance of the case.

Either way, the watch appears with presence on the wrist, but in no way overbearing. The 5205 has substance but wears notably smaller than it actually is, as noted earlier.

Also, resale values for 5205 seems to vary quite a bit depending on the specific version. The early 2-tone dials seem to have taken a bigger hit than the rose gold with all black or all opaline white dials. Actually, since Patek just raised the price 4% a couple of months ago, that may have helped to sustain the resale price of relatively newer examples you may find in the used market, I think.

Lastly, at least on my 5205R-001 version, the rose gold dauphine hands on the opaline white dial are really nice. Personally, I like that they do not have lume on them (unlike the latest white gold with blue dial version) - makes the hands all the more elegant, with more visual impact, more classic.

I hope this helps in your decision one way or another, and best regards.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:27 AM   #15
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

My two cents.

With Patek, I would choose 5146 over both 5205 and 5396. It is difficult to read month/day with one glance on the 5396. 5205 wears big for a dress watch and is an issue for me with 6.5~ inch wrists, it also comes off as too modern for my taste. I like the old aesthetics of 5146, no creadibility issues, and the size is great. All 3 ACs tank on the secondary market if you buy new from AD.

I would also urge you to look at Lange 1815 AC if you like the aesthetics of 5146. It's my favorite AC of all the references that I have mentioned. Since the Patek's also don't hold value well, you are no different in that aspect. 1815 is a stunning watch in person.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote