The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 October 2019, 06:41 PM   #1
unknown
"TRF" Member

waitlist 8 years and most lists even closed... and it's NOT an overhyped Patek, Rolex

One brand I like t lot but never bought before is FP Journe. I think we'll all agree they're absolute top together withe a few other brands out there.

The one I like the most is probably the Chronomètre Souverain. The Tourbillon is a piece of art but that's too expensive and somehow I like the simplicity and perfection of the CS (Chronomètre Souverain)

About 10 years ago I thought about buying the red gold or the platinum piece. But there was also the blue one, the Chronometre blue. A rare tantalum case and probably the most mesmerizing dial I ever saw.
The Tantalum CB ( Chronometre Blue) is definitely the one with the most sporty look.

Concerning the brand ... I think it's safe to say that FP Journe is a real genius and it's probably one of the most important watchmakers in the world. Maybe the most important still alive but that's a personal preference.

Anyway, I was waiting for a CB but contacted a few boutiques to ask if it was possible to order one cause I have some friends that want one too.
got 2 kind of answers

1/ sorry sir but our list is closed. many clients are waiting and we're put to 7 years by now .. so we don't take new requests

2/ Know that you'll have to wait over 8 years and to be honest, we prefer to sell to local buyers and well known clients.

And it might even get worse cause FP Journe decided to lower production, to be more correct .. cut production in !
Reason, the profit margin is too low on this piece. I't VERY difficult to work with tantalum and the dial seems to be very expensive too. The 18K gold movement with superb finishing isn't of course for free neither :-)
And knowing that the total you production FP Journe per YEAR is lower than what Patek makes in 1 week ... ( 900 pieces versus 65.000 pieces)

I think I can say this watch is a bargain at list (even if it does cost quite a lot)

Mine arrived last saturday ...
And I absolute love it !
Old 28 October 2019, 06:49 PM   #2
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Beautifully shot! the movement is outstanding. How long did you have to wait for yours?
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 08:02 PM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!
It’s a phenomenal piece, one of my favorites in my collection.
And agree the hype is deserved.
Total FPJ production last year was actually <700, and I was told now CB is around 50/year, cut in part due to a spat w FP’s disk maker so I’ve heard.
The guys at the NYC boutique told me lists are closed and any SA who says otherwise is just making up a number in years. For example, nYC got 6-8 CB’s in past year and their (closed) waiting list is around 120 deep. So, wait time of ?14 years . Crazy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 10:45 PM   #4
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I had an opportunity to buy one of these two years ago but passed on it to buy another motorcycle. Huge regret
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 11:29 PM   #5
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

had it, sold it, got another one back, holding onto it!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:00 AM   #6
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

I want one...I'd like to find one with a price that starts with a 2, however.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:58 AM   #7
cbalster
"TRF" Member

How much is this new? $28k? So $30k out the door after tax? And realistically can be had in the grey for a few thousand more despite some unrealistic asking prices out there. Life is short and let's face it, if you're in a position to spend $30k on a watch you're in a position to spend $34k on a watch to not have to wait ridiculous times.

The flip game seems to be over in the CB, I don't see much spread there?

Now, if you need to have your CB serviced, there's no price to pay to get it back sooner! I've heard of long wait times and it makes sense, they're busy.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 01:50 AM   #8
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I really wanted a CB, but I was late to the party. When I was informed of the closed wait lists and cuts in production, I knew my only alternative would be to find one in the after market. Fortunately I found a good enough deal that I didn’t end up paying too much above retail (plus NYC sales tax). While I resent having to “pay up”, I also know the chances of this watch dropping in value are very unlikely. More importantly, I love this watch. It totally exceeded my expectations. It’s beauty is only matched by its effortless wearability. I feel lucky to have it and at this point I wouldn’t sell it if it doubled in value.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 07:48 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

waitlist 8 years and most lists even closed... and it's NOT an overhyped Patek, Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
How much is this new? $28k? So $30k out the door after tax? And realistically can be had in the grey for a few thousand more despite some unrealistic asking prices out there. Life is short and let's face it, if you're in a position to spend $30k on a watch you're in a position to spend $34k on a watch to not have to wait ridiculous times.

Now, if you need to have your CB serviced, there's no price to pay to get it back sooner! I've heard of long wait times and it makes sense, they're busy.

Retail is around $24k US, so selling at about a 50% premium, maybe a bit less

Old 29 October 2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post

new (was even less)

23k euro = 25k usd

to grey/used

38k = 42k usd (saw one for 38k usd last week though)

so yeah, good luck on those few grand more. That's not an extra 4k.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 10:40 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lovely watch there are just other Journes I would much rather have for a bit more.
Old 29 October 2019, 11:25 AM   #12
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lovely watch there are just other Journes I would much rather have for a bit more.
It’s hard to disagree with you. There are a number of quite compelling Journe references to consider once you begin to climb into the high $30K to low $40K range. But the CB’s price inflation is not a new phenomenon. Just consider the stratospheric rise of the 5711.

There are plenty of complicated Patek dress watches that were surpassed in market price as a result of the overwhelming demand for the 5711.

At least in the case of the Journe CB, there’s a much more significant lack of supply as compared to the 5711. So this CB “bubble” may just keep going for a while. And to me, the CB is a much more desirable piece than the 5711.
Old 29 October 2019, 11:37 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
It’s hard to disagree with you. There are a number of quite compelling Journe references to consider once you begin to climb into the high $30K to low $40K range. But the CB’s price inflation is not a new phenomenon. Just consider the stratospheric rise of the 5711.

There are plenty of complicated Patek dress watches that were surpassed in market price as a result of the overwhelming demand for the 5711.

At least in the case of the Journe CB, there’s a much more significant lack of supply as compared to the 5711. So this CB “bubble” may just keep going for a while. And to me, the CB is a much more desirable piece than the 5711.
Agreed 100%. It's a cool watch but I'd rather spend a bit more and get another FP Journe that has more going on.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 11:38 AM   #14
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Agreed 100%. It's a cool watch but I'd rather spend a bit more and get another FP Journe that has more going on.
That blue dial though...
Old 29 October 2019, 12:53 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I hear ya. For me I am drawn to the resonance, optimum and the split seconds if they ever take the damn rubber out of the bracelet.
Old 29 October 2019, 07:13 PM   #16
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
How long did you have to wait for yours?
I signed a contract that forbid me to give this info, otherwise they will kill me
Old 29 October 2019, 08:43 PM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I hear ya. For me I am drawn to the resonance, optimum and the split seconds if they ever take the damn rubber out of the bracelet.

They took the rubber out of the octa sport automatic bracelet this year so there may be hope

Old 30 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #18
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

2 years ago, I walked into the Miami boutique and they had one available for sale. I passed on it. 4 months later, in January 2018, I put my name down on the list (I was #10) and got one in 6 months.

In just a year and a half, they went from being available at the boutiques to a closed list with a backlog of at least 8 years! Crazy!
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 02:05 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
They took the rubber out of the octa sport automatic bracelet this year so there may be hope

That is exactly what has me excited.
Old 30 October 2019, 02:07 AM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Amazing finishing on the movement. I can see why there is a waitlist for this piece, worth every penny.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 05:01 AM   #21
DGB
"TRF" Member

I got mine last year, immediately available to pick up.
It came also with another leather strap and I got a tantalum buckle also, so much easier to swap the straps.

Guess I was lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:42 AM   #22
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

They've had issues with manufacturing the dial, if I'm not mistaken, and as a result they're production limited.

I believe FP himself is very unhappy that the CB has gone the way of the Nautilus, SS Daytona, etc. He intended for it to be an entry piece into collecting Journes, and it's no longer the case. :(
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 11:10 AM   #23
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
They've had issues with manufacturing the dial, if I'm not mistaken, and as a result they're production limited.

I believe FP himself is very unhappy that the CB has gone the way of the Nautilus, SS Daytona, etc. He intended for it to be an entry piece into collecting Journes, and it's no longer the case. :(

In the March issue of F.P. Journal, Mr Journe explained that they have a goal of producing 70 Tourbillon Souverains this year, and I quote: "we will have to dig deep into our resources and have only our best watchmakers work on these new complications". And as a result "we must reduce the production of other models, including the most popular one at the moment, meaning the Chronometre Bleu". He goes on to say that they are scheduled to produce only 100 CBs this year, compared to 190 in 2018, and "This leads us to cancel all waiting lists for this model, as it would take us more than 6 years to satisfy the demand".
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 11:16 AM   #24
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
In the March issue of F.P. Journal, Mr Journe explained that they have a goal of producing 70 Tourbillon Souverains this year, and I quote: "we will have to dig deep into our resources and have only our best watchmakers work on these new complications". And as a result "we must reduce the production of other models, including the most popular one at the moment, meaning the Chronometre Bleu". He goes on to say that they are scheduled to produce only 100 CBs this year, compared to 190 in 2018, and "This leads us to cancel all waiting lists for this model, as it would take us more than 6 years to satisfy the demand".
Wow, that's nuts. I had no idea.

Thanks for this information! I was operating under the old info that was surfaced in an interview with him online a while back.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 11:18 AM   #25
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Holy Moley. And this is one of my grails. The other being a GP Laureato. Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 01:34 PM   #26
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on getting yourself one of these amazing CBs!

I find it the best daily wearer as it's so versatile, especially when you start playing with the amazing strap combinations you can get with this watch!

For $24K retail this watch is amazing value, and at $40K aftermarket it's still very competitive... there are other options around the $40K mark like others have mentioned, such as the Centigraphe and some brass pieces... but there is only one watch in the FPJ catalogue with the blue dial and tantalum case, so it's a must for any collector :)

ENJOY IT!
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 10:44 PM   #27
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Congratulations on getting yourself one of these amazing CBs!

I find it the best daily wearer as it's so versatile, especially when you start playing with the amazing strap combinations you can get with this watch!

For $24K retail this watch is amazing value, and at $40K aftermarket it's still very competitive... there are other options around the $40K mark like others have mentioned, such as the Centigraphe and some brass pieces... but there is only one watch in the FPJ catalogue with the blue dial and tantalum case, so it's a must for any collector :)

ENJOY IT!
If people want to buy something mainstream as a 5711/A for 75K, the Journe CB should be at least 100K
Old 1 November 2019, 11:42 PM   #28
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
If people want to buy something mainstream as a 5711/A for 75K, the Journe CB should be at least 100K
I don’t know about $100K. But I know when I was doing my research prior to buying the CB, a combination of factors convinced me that buying this watch was a no-brainer. If you consider it’s relative rarity, the difficult manufacturing issues involving the dial and tantalum case, and the fact that production has been cut to a scant number per year, you begin to realize this is more akin to a limited edition piece than a limited production piece. And against a backdrop of multi-year waiting lists at every boutique that were ultimately closed due to the absurd out-year delivery estimates, this watch is a screaming bargain.

That being said, what initially attracted me to this watch was the fact that it’s so incredibly gorgeous— a little work of art and a reflection of the genius of Francois-Paul Journe. I’ll never get tired of looking at the dial when I wear it. It’s really something special.
Old 2 November 2019, 02:25 AM   #29
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t know about $100K. But I know when I was doing my research prior to buying the CB, a combination of factors convinced me that buying this watch was a no-brainer. If you consider it’s relative rarity, the difficult manufacturing issues involving the dial and tantalum case, and the fact that production has been cut to a scant number per year, you begin to realize this is more akin to a limited edition piece than a limited production piece. And against a backdrop of multi-year waiting lists at every boutique that were ultimately closed due to the absurd out-year delivery estimates, this watch is a screaming bargain.

That being said, what initially attracted me to this watch was the fact that it’s so incredibly gorgeous— a little work of art and a reflection of the genius of Francois-Paul Journe. I’ll never get tired of looking at the dial when I wear it. It’s really something special.

the 100K was a but a joke but on the other hands, a PP 5711a at 70K or more is also BIG joke but today unfortunately a fact .... so you never know
Old 1 December 2019, 09:46 AM   #30
dwight
"TRF" Member

I'm planning to visit the NYC boutique in February but now I'm just thinking I might pay the premium for the CB. Any significant downside to purchasing on the secondary market?
dwight is offline   Reply With Quote