The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 February 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

Bittersweet

Almost two months ago I received a new Nakaya Piccolo from Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com) The pen is very nice with perfect urushi tameruni finish. I ordered a double broad nib. However, I found the line from that nib a bit too broad and sent the pen back for a change of nibs according to the pen's warranty. I also requested a stub custom job, for which I paid extra.

After over a month of waiting I just got the pen back. I'm quite pleased to have the pen back. However, upon close inspection I found that the tip of the rhodium finished nib is chipped and marred. Moreover, the nib is stained in parts which makes it look as if it isn't a new nib.

And the clip on the cap is loose.

I wrote the people at CFP about my findings and received a rather non-committal response. Of course, I'm somewhat disappointed. The pen writes fine, except that it burped a few drops of ink when I first started writing with it. But that might just be a bit of air in the section somewhere.

This type of story is all too common in our world of expensive hobbies and so on. And my tendency is to shrug my shoulders and let things be. However, in this case I'm a bit irked because I have gone out of my way to be nice to the CFP people, even praising their business here and in other places. In return I get a shrug of the shoulders of sorts.

I have written the Nakaya people in Tokyo asking if I can send them the pen for a replacement nib. It'll cost me a pretty penny but I want this pen looking and working as new, new as I paid for it.

In summary, I'd guess the moral of the story is that when money is at stake nice flies out of the window. What a drag. But I should be old enough to know that and then some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2240007.jpg (35.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg P2240010.jpg (53.1 KB, 124 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 11:04 AM   #2
blue16613
Banned

Nibs.com is John Mottishaw's shop. Mottishaw is THE supreme nibmeister in the USA. His reputation is flawless.

I recommend you communicate with him directly. And please let us know if he is not appropriately responsive.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Juan,

You need to press it with Mottishaw.

That pen should be perfect for the $$$$ you spent for it. And then to have it modified and pay extra and it not be completely to your satisfaction is not acceptable in any regard.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I have to say fountain pens have been the most finicky hobby I've ever had. These pens are unpredictable! They run great one day and then bite the next. They're like cats Reflecting on this, I have to say, I have just ONE pen in my collection that has been flawless since I got it. Oddly enough an Omas made in the last year of production. I feel for you Sir. It will all work out though. I'm confident
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I have to say fountain pens have been the most finicky hobby I've ever had. These pens are unpredictable! They run great one day and then bite the next. They're like cats Reflecting on this, I have to say, I have just ONE pen in my collection that has been flawless since I got it. Oddly enough an Omas made in the last year of production. I feel for you Sir. It will all work out though. I'm confident

You would be correct when it comes to finicky, but that to me is part of the joy.

I remember there was a time when I had just about given up on the hobby due to frustration with my pens wonkiness, but then read about guys that simply increased their knowledge about how to service them.

FPs really do need to be serviced, and again that is part of the enjoyment. I had two BMW Roadsters and enjoyed servicing them as much as driving them.

Instead of moving on to some other hobby, I purchased a few tools and some brass sheets and other things that allowed me to do more than just clean them on occasion. I also tuned into some good You Tube vids that really helped me to understand why FPs do what they do and then how to correct and adjust them.

Build yourself a little tool kit and keep it handy. Then break it out and enjoy the satisfaction of tuning a rebellious pen into one that is likely to move to a favored position in your rotation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuq9tuKRbCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRvKrrZdXLs
Old 27 February 2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You would be correct when it comes to finicky, but that to me is part of the joy.

I remember there was a time when I had just about given up on the hobby due to frustration with my pens wonkiness, but then read about guys that simply increased their knowledge about how to service them.

FPs really do need to be serviced, and again that is part of the enjoyment. I had two BMW Roadsters and enjoyed servicing them as much as driving them.

Instead of moving on to some other hobby, I purchased a few tools and some brass sheets and other things that allowed me to do more than just clean them on occasion. I also tuned into some good You Tube vids that really helped me to understand why FPs do what they do and then how to correct and adjust them.

Build yourself a little tool kit and keep it handy. Then break it out and enjoy the satisfaction of tuning a rebellious pen into one that is likely to move to a favored position in your rotation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuq9tuKRbCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRvKrrZdXLs
Excellent links, Richard. Thank you so much. Saw them all and then some. Very useful knowledge. NO PLIERS, huh...???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2240007.jpg (35.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 27 February 2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Excellent links, Richard. Thank you so much. Saw them all and then some. Very useful knowledge. NO PLIERS, huh...???
No never! Pliers are not necessary.
Old 27 February 2017, 11:34 AM   #8
blue16613
Banned

Did Matt say that in the videos?
Gosh, must have missed it.......

Seriously, these were great links. I watched all three videos and learned a lot!
Thanks!
Old 27 February 2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
No never! Pliers are not necessary.
So many sayings in Spanish that come to mind. That is, no one is perfect. Poop happens, etc. I believe John Mottishaw is a hell of a nice guy and the Pelikan nibs he has tweaked for me write wonderfully. Nonetheless, I just talked to some very obliging Japanese lady at the factory and I might just send the pen back to them. It'll cost me, though.

I'll wait a couple of days and see if I get a satisfactory response from nibs.com, if not I'll just FedEx this baby to Japan. No one except nibs.com will handle a Nakaya in the US; I tried contacting a few people Jim recommended but it was a fruitless effort.

I think I mostly regret this experience because I had a Nakaya Portable in my sights. But then there are other pens that interest me.

Again, great links, Richard. Thank you.
Old 27 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #10
blue16613
Banned

Do what you feel is best but I still say you should talk directly with John Mottishaw directly before you take any next (especially expensive next) steps.

It sounds like you already have a relationship with him.....why wouldn't you????
Old 28 February 2017, 01:06 AM   #11
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
Do what you feel is best but I still say you should talk directly with John Mottishaw directly before you take any next (especially expensive next) steps.

It sounds like you already have a relationship with him.....why wouldn't you????
Exactly! Yes!
Old 28 February 2017, 05:18 AM   #12
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Exactly! Yes!
I already wrote to nibs.com and received a non-committal response from John. In his response he didn't even acknowledge the blemished nib. He made reference to the blotting, that I have to dry the nib after filling up the pen, which I do, but nothing about the marred nib.

It is not my way of doing things to beg anyone to do what's right or to be forthcoming about what no doubt is a mistake. Furthermore, the nib not only has the rhodium chipped at the tip, it is also stained and shows shallow scratches all over. The nibs doesn't look like a new nib. Mind you, it doesn't look like a new nib. It's up to them to do what's right, not up to me to beg.

If I don't get a proper response from nibs.com in the next few days, I'll just send the pen back to Tokyo to get the nib fixed properly. The clip on the cap also needs to be tightened. It's a shame that these things happen as I've already bought three additional Platinum pens and some Pelikan custom nibs from them. It's a bummer like when your barber or dentist move out of town and you need to find someone else to cut your hair or work on your teeth. Hey, but it's only a darn pen.
Old 28 February 2017, 10:59 AM   #13
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
I already wrote to nibs.com and received a non-committal response from John. In his response he didn't even acknowledge the blemished nib. He made reference to the blotting, that I have to dry the nib after filling up the pen, which I do, but nothing about the marred nib.

It is not my way of doing things to beg anyone to do what's right or to be forthcoming about what no doubt is a mistake. Furthermore, the nib not only has the rhodium chipped at the tip, it is also stained and shows shallow scratches all over. The nibs doesn't look like a new nib. Mind you, it doesn't look like a new nib. It's up to them to do what's right, not up to me to beg.

If I don't get a proper response from nibs.com in the next few days, I'll just send the pen back to Tokyo to get the nib fixed properly. The clip on the cap also needs to be tightened. It's a shame that these things happen as I've already bought three additional Platinum pens and some Pelikan custom nibs from them. It's a bummer like when your barber or dentist move out of town and you need to find someone else to cut your hair or work on your teeth. Hey, but it's only a darn pen.
I know what you mean and it seems to happen more and more frequently with all kinds of things. In many ways, the pride of quality and good craftmanship means less & less to people...yet they think they should be paid more and more to do the same job.

That having been said, and with all due respect to you, I think this is something John would WANT to know. My bet is someone "ghosted" that response and he did not write it himself. He is a gentleman who takes genuine pride in his high quality workmanship.

Just my thought.....do what makes you feel best. I'd just be remiss to not point out that the response you received does not sound like John!!

Good luck!
Old 28 February 2017, 12:08 PM   #14
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
They have a phone.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 11:25 PM   #15
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I agree with what others have said. That response does not sound like John at all.

Definitely give them a call and speak to John.

So, you got a new nib then had it custom ground? What modification did you get out of curiosity?
Old 1 March 2017, 12:29 AM   #16
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I agree with what others have said. That response does not sound like John at all.

Definitely give them a call and speak to John.

So, you got a new nib then had it custom ground? What modification did you get out of curiosity?
Stub on the broad Nakata nib.

I've spoken to John, although not about this more recent matter. We both attended Antioch College, albeit at different times. I agree he is a gentleman... All the more reason to be surprised that he has preferred to not address the shoddy job on that nib.
Old 1 March 2017, 01:21 AM   #17
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stub on the broad Nakata nib.

I've spoken to John, although not about this more recent matter. We both attended Antioch College, albeit at different times. I agree he is a gentleman... All the more reason to be surprised that he has preferred to not address the shoddy job on that nib.
I hope you get it sorted out. That is a dreamy nib. Love mine.
Old 1 March 2017, 06:52 AM   #18
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I hope you get it sorted out. That is a dreamy nib. Love mine.
I'm sending the pen back to Nibs.con. It's all been sorted out and I'm very glad that's the case.
Old 1 March 2017, 07:29 AM   #19
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Fantastic.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 07:49 AM   #20
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sending the pen back to Nibs.con. It's all been sorted out and I'm very glad that's the case.
That's the outcome I was hoping for. Hopefully you'll get a quick turnaround.
Old 1 March 2017, 08:21 AM   #21
blue16613
Banned

Quote:

Great! I felt quite confident about this outcome given that you and John could talk about it. Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 1 March 2017, 01:56 PM   #22
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Very glad to hear that.

Remember that the great nibmeisters are very busy, but very honest! In this astute community they would not survive.