The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Bama
"TRF" Member

Is a Rolex always "worth" the price?

Who among us, of "modest" means, has ever wondered if it was worth it to wear a Rolex when one could trade that Rolex in and get a couple of other high-end watches for the same price and maybe even have money left over? I'm not talking about parting with the Rolex to free up money for family emergencies or real life issues. I've seen that done here frequently and believe it is always the right decision. I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever doubted whether a Rolex is worth the money when you could buy an Omega AND Breitling for the same cost. I have these thoughts sometimes. Hopefully by the end of the year my income will have increased to where these thoughts no longer enter my mind. I'm scared that if I were to ever do this it would be a mistake. There are other great watch brands out there, but only one Rolex and I'd hate to not have one in the collection. I'm scared the other brands wouldn't meet my expectations after having owned a Rolex. Thoughts?
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 12:48 AM   #2
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I would rather have one or two very nice things than a bunch of lesser quality stuff. I am more of a quality vs. quantity kind of guy.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 18 April 2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Felly Jr.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I would rather have one or two very nice things than a bunch of lesser quality stuff. I am more of a quality vs. quantity kind of guy.
Felly Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 12:53 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm with you on this one..

It was a stretch when I got my first Rolex.. I tried to wear others and keep that Sub nice and unspoiled in the box....but noting felt the same either physically or where it really counts...mentally.

Once you've had one on your wrist for a while the world around you is a different place..You feel like this is the right decision and an indicator of good things to come..

That was 4 decades ago, and I havn't been without one since...
Old 18 April 2008, 01:10 AM   #5
jimbo1mcm

Watch: New GMT2C
Try one

Put one on.....look at it and then make another post.
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:11 AM   #6
Bobareno

Worth the price to me.
Bobareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:12 AM   #7
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Yup, I'm with you.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:15 AM   #8
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nail on head
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Better check the latest prices on Omegas and Bretlings!!!!! They are expensive!!!!!! They have just as loyal a following as the Rolex crowd.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:20 AM   #10
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
My LV was over 5K. When I look at it, I don't think of the cost, so I guess that could be an indicator that I do think that it was worth it. However, the last price increase has pushed me to the edge of affordability. Another 10% increase and most SS models will be 7K. That I do not think is worth it.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:23 AM   #11
JostheBoss
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 18 April 2008, 01:27 AM   #12
fear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, for working stiffs, Rolex is not a brand to be tossed around. I would not sell Rolex for another brand. We saved, and saved and saved for that submariner, SD, DJ....
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 01:29 AM   #13
Bama
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for talking me down off the ledge. Your comments make sense.
Old 18 April 2008, 01:43 AM   #14
somdej
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
to me, rollie worth every penny
somdej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 02:23 AM   #15
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
You get what you pay for! Quality and name!
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 02:28 AM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would miss my Rolex if I exchanged it for another brand. Yes, Rolex watches seem expensive, but when you consider how well it's made, I believe the price is still justified.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:16 AM   #17
Bama
"TRF" Member

Thanks again, fellas.
Old 18 April 2008, 03:25 AM   #18
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
I thought this too, and talked myself out of buying a Rolex in 2000, when I bought my SMP instead. The desire of Rolex ownership was not placated. If one wants a quality watch and has no brand particularity, an Omega or Breitling or many other watches will do. For one who wants a Rolex for whatever reason, nothing else will do.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:25 AM   #19
harvey
"TRF" Member

its worth the price if you can afford it. if you have to get yourself into debt by getting a loan or on credit...then no.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:28 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Spot on!! I am in total agreement with this one!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:30 AM   #21
TDH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:44 AM   #22
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Yes, they can be pricey and you can buy other watches at less cost, but one other consideration:
I'm not advocating for flipping, but should you decide that you'd like a different Rolex model or maybe a nice watch in another line ( hang here and you see how often it happens) you'd discover your value better maintained with the Rolex than with two watches of lesser value.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 03:49 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
The "worth" of any object is in the mind and the eyes of the beholder. To me, my Platty is priceless!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 04:12 AM   #24
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Quality not quantity

I agree, quality not quantity. One Rolex trumps a stable of lesser watches that will never get any wrist time. I have many other watches that I wear from time to time, but none satisfies my like when I'm wearing my Rolex. I waited, worked, long and hard for this baby, and it was worth the wait! I think that's what it's all about. Knowing quality and working hard to get it. Good things in life never come easy.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 04:14 AM   #25
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Errrmmm Rolex watches are not worth the price.

I don't care what anybody says about the difference between the quality of Omega, Brietling, Rolex etc. Rolex may have a better quality movement with a better build but is it worth that much more?

Look at the recent post about the DD and the price of platinum...is that watch movement and crystal worth 10 grand more than the 300g os so of the precious metal?

Is it heck!

So, you may ask? Why do you wear one? Why do you own two and want many more?

I like everybody else here have been swayed by years of marketing, advertising and general brand snobbery (most of it by my own family eg 1957 OD)...I believed Rolex to be the best and I love the brand.

I love my LV...Yesterday was the first day since I bought it that I didn't wear it and I truly missed it.

Is it worth £3.5k...no! Like all things, these things probably cost a fraction of that to put it together.

Unfortunately, that is the way of the world and if I want something I have to pay the going retail rate for it....begrudgingly tho, a little like Homer J!

I think a decent price for a sub date is £2000. I'd bet Rolex would still make a profit on it (forget about all that charity rubbish)...however, those days are long gone.

They keep making them, we keep buying them whatever the price and that to me seems a little sad.

Just the opinion of a poor Rolex owner.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 04:17 AM   #26
Bama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Errrmmm Rolex watches are not worth the price.

I don't care what anybody says about the difference between the quality of Omega, Brietling, Rolex etc. Rolex may have a better quality movement with a better build but is it worth that much more?

Look at the recent post about the DD and the price of platinum...is that watch movement and crystal worth 10 grand more than the 300g os so of the precious metal?

Is it heck!

So, you may ask? Why do you wear one? Why do you own two and want many more?

I like everybody else here have been swayed by years of marketing, advertising and general brand snobbery (most of it by my own family eg 1957 OD)...I believed Rolex to be the best and I love the brand.

I love my LV...Yesterday was the first day since I bought it that I didn't wear it and I truly missed it.

Is it worth £3.5k...no! Like all things, these things probably cost a fraction of that to put it together.

Unfortunately, that is the way of the world and if I want something I have to pay the going retail rate for it....begrudgingly tho, a little like Homer J!

I think a decent price for a sub date is £2000. I'd bet Rolex would still make a profit on it (forget about all that charity rubbish)...however, those days are long gone.

They keep making them, we keep buying them whatever the price and that to me seems a little sad.

Just the opinion of a poor Rolex owner.

J
A very honest response. Thanks
Old 18 April 2008, 04:29 AM   #27
jasper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 / speedy pro
12 years ago, when I was only lust 30-ish. I stretched to buy a brand new Omega Moon watch. I decided then that that was the only watch I will ever need, and justified my stretch based on the assumption I would *never* buy another watch.

Well, 12 years later, and I'm finally in a place where I feel I deserve another watch, and I've lined up a 16750, which I pick up in a few days, and which is perfectly suited or this point in my life. Along the way I "inherited" a vintage gold Milus which I wear for fancy evenings, but up until recently I was a one watch man..

Point is, that Speedy kept me completely satisfied for much of my adult life. If you have a Rolex and love it, then you're better off than 99% of the population, if not 99.9%

You'll expand your collection eventually. Be patient.
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 04:33 AM   #28
Bama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
12 years ago, when I was only lust 30-ish. I stretched to buy a brand new Omega Moon watch. I decided then that that was the only watch I will ever need, and justified my stretch based on the assumption I would *never* buy another watch.

Well, 12 years later, and I'm finally in a place where I feel I deserve another watch, and I've lined up a 16750, which I pick up in a few days, and which is perfectly suited or this point in my life. Along the way I "inherited" a vintage gold Milus which I wear for fancy evenings, but up until recently I was a one watch man..

Point is, that Speedy kept me completely satisfied for much of my adult life. If you have a Rolex and love it, then you're better off than 99% of the population, if not 99.9%

You'll expand your collection eventually. Be patient.
Well said. Thank you.
Old 18 April 2008, 04:43 AM   #29
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Certainly worth the price
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 04:46 AM   #30
mfer
"TRF" Member

I've told many people that "Perception is reality" in these cases.

Rolex is perceived by the outside world as being the best. I can't think of anyone who has better marketing then them. It bleeds over into our WIS world where TRF is a big gatekeeper! It saturates everything and drives the every increasing price up.

Is it worth it? What is your perception?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote