The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 August 2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Glebanon
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex 1601 1969 condition

Hello,

I’m buying my first Rolex. I have my eyes set on a 1601 from 1969. I have a few concerns about the watch that I am looking at. Maybe someone with more experience can advise me.

So this Rolex looks great, however, there are some spots on the dial. Most people that post pictures of their 1601 seems like it’s in perfect condition. If I choose to pull the trigger on it, what’s the best way to approach a dial such as this one.

The sellers claims that service was done to it In January 2019. It was also polished during service. Some stretch on the bracelet. Also, is the watch overall in great shape? Thanks
Glebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 12:43 PM   #2
TudorTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
I'm not completely sure what type of damage you are referring to, as I can't see the dial very well in the photos, and "spots" is a rather subjective term. The most common causes of dial imperfections are moisture, improper handling during service, and "hand drag" (hands get reset too close and scratch the dial as they move). A dial can be replaced with another or refinished, but doing either is not always cost effective. If the damage was due to moisture, you should always consider that the movement may have gotten wet too.

You should take a close look at the lug holes on any older watch that has been polished -- some of them have had so much metal removed that the holes are nearly touching the outside of the case. Once that happens, the case is essentially trashed -- at least in my opinion. When an online seller only provides photos of one side of the case, I always wonder if it's because the other side has been over-polished.

No 50+ year old watch is going to be perfect. I don't know that this one would qualify as "great" in my opinion, but I think it would be fair to call it above average. I'm wondering if the bracelet may be newer than the watch.
TudorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That dial would be a deal-breaker for me (I am assuming that the big spot near the 11 o'clock marker is dial damage). There are plenty of good 1601s around. If it's dirt-cheap, then it might be worth the time and money to source a correct replacement dial, but that's probably not the best approach for someone just getting into collecting.

If that is not what you are referring to, then we need better photos.
Old 9 August 2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Glebanon
"TRF" Member

Yes the mark at the 11 o’clock is what concerns me since also the lettering is affected. The seller is claiming it’s all original. There are photos of the other side as well. Asking price is in the lower Twos.
Glebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 04:21 PM   #5
RobW
"TRF" Member

The dial can easily be replaced. There's no shame in it, especially for a Datejust of this age.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 9 August 2019, 10:05 PM   #6
carman594
"TRF" Member

If it bugs you, best bet is to move on
carman594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 11:13 PM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
If the spot on the dial bothers you already, before even buying it, it will irk you every time you look at it once you own it. You’ll always wish it wasn’t there. Then when it comes time to sell it, you’ll be in for some difficulty finding a buyer who’s willing to pay top dollar with that spot on the dial.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 11:47 PM   #8
TudorTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebanon View Post
Yes the mark at the 11 o’clock is what concerns me since also the lettering is affected. The seller is claiming it’s all original. There are photos of the other side as well. Asking price is in the lower Twos.
If the seller can provide documentation of the most recent service, and the bracelet is confirmed authentic, I'd probably buy that watch if I could get it for $2000 or less. You could likely source a used dial in better shape for $200-400, and it's not expensive to have it changed by a local/independent watchmaker (mine charges $50). Maybe you could sell the old dial for a nominal amount to help offset the cost.

If all said and done, you end up with a Datejust with a recent service history and that looks good cosmetically for a total price of $2500 or less - I think you've done pretty well. If $3000+ is within your budget, you could hold out for another that doesn't have any dial/cosmetic issues -- but not every watch you happen across will have had a service within the past year. That's worth something if you have actual proof it was done.
TudorTom is offline   Reply With Quote