The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Ike13lol
"TRF" Member

Rolex air king 5500 vintage questions/ help.

I recently bought a rolex 5500 1972 model with a gorgeous tropic dial. Everything is original to my knowledge. Braclete says it's a 1/72 and serial shows it's a 1972. Still has non hacking movement. I was told the original owner has recently serviced it but no paperwork. My issues are, is 10 seconds slow a day a cause for a concern on a vintage watch? When I go to wild the watch the crown feels a bit gritty and stiff but I let the wat run for a day before I tried to wind it. I'm not sure if they grtty tight feeling is normal or not? The crown screws down fine. Also when I shake the movement I hear a faint ping noise. Not sure if that is normal? I cant feel the vibrate when it's on the wrist so idk if it's a bad axle or just me. I dont want to get the watch serviced if this is normal and it was just serviced. If I do get it serviced who do you reccomend? I do not want the dial or hands changed or anything polished. Also, should I try to source a more modern bracelet and store the original? There isnt much bend to it but it's the old folded link bracelet. If I do want a modern bracelet how do I go about getting one that isnt insanely expensive. Sorry I am new to rolex and vkntsge watches. I bought it from ebay from oliverandclarke and they had good reviews and even their own website selling vintage watches. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ike13lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Paul
"TRF" Member

I like Ike ;-)

Hi Ike and welcome to TRF and to vintage Rolex ownership. Looks to be a nice correct Rolex 5500 AirKing you have there. Your questions ...

Gritty and stiff: Winding and setting should be buttery smooth, it's a Rolex thing Gritty and stiff is not a Rolex thing. It needs a service.

Time-keeping: 10 seconds +/- per day is too much IMHO. A competent watchmaker can regulate the timing when they are turning gritty and stiff into buttery smooth

Bracelet: Nice that you have the original bracelet (or date-correct anyway). Incidentally, it looks very dirty in the pics. Your endlinks could be tweaked to fit the case a lot better too. A spring-bar checkis always a good idea too, are they good condition and the correct style and gauge ? Would be a shame to lose your nice watch cos a spring-bar failed.

Changing to a modern bracelet: The correct-dated bracelet is a real value-add on a vintage Rolex and IMHO folded link bracelets are nice to wear and relatively low maintenance. If it needs a freshen up in the future, Michael Young in Hong Kong is the go-to guy. He's very fair with his pricing and good at his craft.

Faint ping noise .... Might be a bit of rotor slack. Once again, a service will catch whatever it is. Research a bit to see who's good in your part of the world. Any competent watchmaker can service a 1520 Rolex movement.

And I checked in on the listing on OliverandClarke's website. Their claim on 'unpolished' might be stretching things a bit (5 o'clock lug ?) . Might just be the pics and no big deal at all, most old Rolex'es we see have been polished
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think you're right about the 5 o'clock lug.

Old 12 August 2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Congrats! Certainly an exotic dial. I would love to see a clear photo of it.

All the signs and symptoms are saying “service me”.
Give it a good overhaul and the watch is gonna be good to go for another at least 10yrs.

Also, the watch looks like it needs a good exterior clean. Lots of dirt on it and that doesn't help with the bracelet wear.
Warm water, soap and a soft brush will do wonders.

If you service it I would suggest to not polish it. The lugs have been thinned from previous polishes....rolliworks can restore it but I do not know if that makes sense financially.
It is an option you have at least.
Old 12 August 2019, 06:25 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As many have said, a full overhaul will restore accuracy and correct the stiff winding issue.

Be prepared to pay for a few extra replacement components. The auto wind mechanism has a rotor axle that is simply bushed into the oscillating weight and it might be deteriorating.

Example*:

* [Photo courtesy of Jocke from a 10-year old post]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Ike13lol
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone! I plan on sending the bracelet to MY and wearing it on a colareb leather strap for the time being. I heard that Riki is a good person to send it to? Everything I read tells me not to send it to RSC. Yeah I figured it had been polished like almost every rolex this age. Not a big deal, still will last my lifetime. I'm just glad everything looks correct because it's the tropic dial that I fell in love with. Off for a service e and appraisal it goes for insurance purposes.
Ike13lol is offline   Reply With Quote