The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2019, 05:05 PM   #61
AznD85
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Good luck. I'm actually doing the same journal. You have inspired me!
AznD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 04:35 AM   #62
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
A monthly journal of trying to get a Daytona 116500

May-July 2019 updates.

Nothing new to report. I spoke with my AD a couple of times. Just no supply. I read a post recently from Springer that maybe Rolex is holding back some inventory for the upcoming Suggested Retail Price bump. Maybe that will help me.

In the meantime, I sold a rarely worn watch & some long retired Lego sets. Put some of that money toward a 16713 GMT Root Beer. I’ve been wanting one of those for a while and decided to just go for it. It’s my first non-SS watch and fills a void in the collection. I’m not much of a gold jewelry person but couldn’t pass the watch up. The 16713 is cool in a retro sort of way and not seen often.

jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 04:47 AM   #63
Importer_Exporter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Those are neat GMT’s! Good pick up.
Old 24 July 2019, 06:22 AM   #64
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Congratulations, OP!
Old 24 July 2019, 08:33 AM   #65
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

that's nice
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #66
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Somehow I feel this thread will end up going

OUTRO: Narrator [Morgan Freeman]

"In all of the years I had been searching for that one special piece I had realized my error. This journey wasn't about a watch, it was about discovery, it was about the people and the watches along the way..."

[tears]

...but seriously, I hope you finally get that watch. You've put in the time for sure. The other 3 consolation prizes are great as well.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 08:56 AM   #67
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
Man. To be honest this just whole thing is crazy but also puts me off of even trying to get one. I personally don’t really want any of the other watches you mentioned other than the Daytona C white. If I did want one at msrp I would have to buy a bunch of things I would be so so on or basically flip to then get the Daytona C, thus into turning into a dreaded flipper.

I know Daytona’s always are hard to get an command a premium it’s just a bummer the only way to get one at msrp is to go through this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 09:05 AM   #68
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Best of luck to you!
I ordered my white 116500 the morning of Basel 2016. I didn’t get it until November 2017. It was from a big chain AD I had bought at least 5 other stainless Rolex from.
They were able to offer me a black 116500 in July 2018, but the white took longer.
it took me more than a year longer than you; i didn’t have an AD relationship at the time and had to shop around. my 116500 arrived the week before this past christmas; took me a Hulk, Ex2 polar, seadweller, autavia reissue and a cartier tank francaise (since consigned with the same dealer, never buying a significant other a watch again... then again i’ll probably be single forever at this point) but i was still pumped to get that text.

my AD is awesome and i have for sure two more watches incoming (the meteorite GMT as soon as it arrives, the SS pepsi by christmas). i’d like to say that i have an SkyD (blue) incoming but who knows.

jvb.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 09:48 AM   #69
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

awesome post. so spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post
Somehow I feel this thread will end up going

OUTRO: Narrator [Morgan Freeman]

"In all of the years I had been searching for that one special piece I had realized my error. This journey wasn't about a watch, it was about discovery, it was about the people and the watches along the way..."

[tears]

...but seriously, I hope you finally get that watch. You've put in the time for sure. The other 3 consolation prizes are great as well.
Old 24 July 2019, 09:53 AM   #70
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

it's true. puts people off. while the current SS situation didn't 'drive' me toward omega, zenith, etc... (as mentioned in some threads), it did pull me toward used Rolex 5 digit models unfort, the SS situation also made those 5 digit models cost me more than even 18+ months ago.

at the end of the journey when i'm in a nursing home and the AD finally calls with the Daytona, i'll be happy. just don't expect me to buy it in a bundle :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtung View Post
Man. To be honest this just whole thing is crazy but also puts me off of even trying to get one. I personally don’t really want any of the other watches you mentioned other than the Daytona C white. If I did want one at msrp I would have to buy a bunch of things I would be so so on or basically flip to then get the Daytona C, thus into turning into a dreaded flipper.

I know Daytona’s always are hard to get an command a premium it’s just a bummer the only way to get one at msrp is to go through this process.

Old 24 July 2019, 11:16 AM   #71
1665fan
"TRF" Member

That gmt is very nice good pick up...a daytona will come or just grab a 116520, they are just as nice
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 11:36 AM   #72
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Good luck and good vibes!
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 11:50 AM   #73
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Enjoy reading the journey but I have a question. I continue to read about wait lists for popular models but I’ve had 2 ADs now tell me lists no longer exist. It’s first come first serve, though I’d wager top clients may know when desirable pieces arrive. Have others heard similar?
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 04:57 PM   #74
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw20 View Post
Enjoy reading the journey but I have a question. I continue to read about wait lists for popular models but I’ve had 2 ADs now tell me lists no longer exist. It’s first come first serve, though I’d wager top clients may know when desirable pieces arrive. Have others heard similar?

First come first served AFTER the top clients are notified and they have gotten their Daytona, blro, blnr, hulk, rootbeer, skyD blue, dssd JC, and subs

Except for the sub (maybe) those other models won't got the display. List or no list. They might not call it a list but there is a mental book of who gets what

Do you really think you will see ceramic ss Daytona or Pepsi or blnr in store window for whoever walks by can pick it up??

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:16 AM   #75
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Minor update for the months of July 2019 to Jan. 2020. I chatted w/ my AD's mgr yesterday who knows I've been waiting since 2018. I've been told my time will come in 2021. ha. Not holding my breath but who knows in this current crazy watch market. Take it with grain of salt.

In the meantime, I did change around my collection. Sold a couple of rarely worn SS watches and picked up an A-serial 16520 and sent it off to Dallas for a much needed service. I talked about that purchase on another thread.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:06 AM   #76
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Great thread! Keep the posts coming and best of luck getting your grail Daytona!
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:13 AM   #77
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks. hopefully, 2021 will be my year (watch-wise) as my collection is 100% set in stone outside of the 116500.

My watch budget and very understanding wife's patience have both been exhausted. ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimoozaabi View Post
Great thread! Keep the posts coming and best of luck getting your grail Daytona!
Old 30 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #78
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Hey folks. It’s been just over a year since my last update. Hard to believe I created this topic in 2018. Guess I should have started my Daytona journal in March 2016.

The 16520 is great. Just a little hard to tell the time w/ my aging eyes. Dallas RSC did a great job with the Jan 2020 servicing & was able to send it back before their office temporarily closed last March.

Getting the 116500 is still a wait in-progress and I’m still assured my turn will come. Just hope my turn comes before the watch is refreshed as I like the current case and bracelet style.
Old 30 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #79
absin2
Banned

Great...All the best.
absin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:38 AM   #80
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

I finally told my rep if he gets me one by Labor Day I will send him $1k in cash. He called me back and said he can likely make that happen.

Is that the way it's done and what about the guy in front of you on the waiting list?
Would you like it if someone jumped the queue, putting you back?

E-[/QUOTE]
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:48 AM   #81
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Hey folks. It’s been just over a year since my last update. Hard to believe I created this topic in 2018. Guess I should have started my Daytona journal in March 2016.

The 16520 is great. Just a little hard to tell the time w/ my aging eyes. Dallas RSC did a great job with the Jan 2020 servicing & was able to send it back before their office temporarily closed last March.

Getting the 116500 is still a wait in-progress and I’m still assured my turn will come. Just hope my turn comes before the watch is refreshed as I like the current case and bracelet style.

I saw my post and it’s almost 3 year of wait. Continue to have patience. Your time will come.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #82
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
This has been an entertaining thread, especially reading the lengths people will go to for a Rolex and the psychology of it all. OP you are on a journey and I respect that, so please don’t take this as disparaging, and thanks for documenting that journey.

A few years ago I set my heart on a Rolex that was not as unobtainable as a Daytona but impossible to find at an AD. I heard all this about establishing a “relationship” with an AD and getting on a list. About buying watches I didn’t want. About the exorbitant prices charged by grays that were ruining this wonderful Rolex designed buying experience detailed by the OP. (Cut production of a super popular product to drive a multi year chain of purchases of a range of other products at msrp).

Instead I paid a 10% premium to a trusted seller and had the watch on my wrist 12 hours later. I’ve loved wearing it, and it’s gone up in value by 50-70%. In the meantime that reference was discontinued and Rolex has raised prices each year. COVID hit and my AD went out of business (despite my buying and servicing a number of watches with him since that I really wanted).

Moral of the story, enjoy your journey so long as you understand that you’re being led along a game in the house’s favor.
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 05:24 AM   #83
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_dial View Post
Good job on getting the Lv and BLNR.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar position. I'll have been waiting for 2 years in October for a Daytona C from an small independent AD that I've know for years and have bought from since being on the wait list. It was even indirectly confirmed that they prioritise people who have spent a lot with them, rather than going through the 'list'. For me at least, AD relationship counts for nothing.
What do they mean when spent a lot, do SS models count in the spending.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #84
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

I finally told my rep if he gets me one by Labor Day I will send him $1k in cash. He called me back and said he can likely make that happen.

So you have become 2 in the countdown list, but what about the customer ahead of you if you now jump the queue?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 06:15 AM   #85
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post

So you have become 2 in the countdown list, but what about the customer ahead of you if you now jump the queue?
You are bribing your SA that it isn't a nice thing to do.

I never believe in waitlist, I think they will give to the person that they wanted to give but not in the order of the waitlist.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 06:24 AM   #86
MrMoFoMeLLy
"TRF" Member

OP, cool read! I am on a similar boat as you. My AD blessed me with a Hulk the Sunday before they announced the discontinuance. He asked me what I would hope to get next and I told him a Panda Daytona as well. I know I'm on cool down with them so will patiently wait. Will definitely be checking in on this post.
MrMoFoMeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 06:27 AM   #87
Omega1
"TRF" Member

I have been going to the same AD in my area for ~4 years now without much success. Thing is, I've actually made some nice friends with the SAs there and genuinely like going in there to talk watches. They know how much I want it but it seems like Daytonas are almost exclusively allocated by the owner. It's ok though, I've picked up some jewelry for my wife and another Rolex (which I've also wanted since I was in school) for myself along the way.

With all that's going on in the world I'm not going to lose sleep or stress about not finding a watch right away (even though the Daytona is a pretty incredible one). May as well just enjoy the ride and enjoy other watches that come along while I wait...

Cool thread though, I'm enjoying reading this.
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #88
jc_schmidt
"TRF" Member

good luck, hope you get it sooner than later
jc_schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:25 PM   #89
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post

I'm not impressed. I think this is tacky for both you and your SA.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:37 PM   #90
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
I'm not impressed. I think this is tacky for both you and your SA.

Please don’t get the mods attention in this thread.

Tags
116500 , daytona , jaisonline , rolex