The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2019, 07:06 AM   #91
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
Is is safe to wear that while running???

Leave it to a watchmaker to eschew the Garmins and Polars for a race, and go with a mechanical watch instead! Too cool.

I've often thought about doing wearing a rolex for a race...just to have done it once. I did wear my Panerai for a 200 mile bike ride....if I ever get into a more interesting run I'll probably do it. Something like Desert Running series, or an Antarctica marathon...

Do you mostly do ultras now, or do you still toss in a standard marathon as well?
If it's a trail marathon then yes, road marathons are mental torture and I cannot stand the large crowds either.

Going to do two 55k races next year, Spa (Belgium) and Laugavegur (Iceland). Will probably wear the Rolex on the latter
I might give the 100km another shot, but I'm a little afraid since it ended up with a shin injury a year ago.

There's many great ultras in incredibly beautiful (and hostile) places. I'd love to do a desert race as well, but I just cannot handle heat at all.

200mile bike ride sounds pretty extreme as well! my neck, arse and back would be broken after half of that
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 07:26 AM   #92
Lawlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Excellent interview and two wonderful men!
Lawlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 07:29 AM   #93
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
If it's a trail marathon then yes, road marathons are mental torture and I cannot stand the large crowds either.

Going to do two 55k races next year, Spa (Belgium) and Laugavegur (Iceland). Will probably wear the Rolex on the latter
I might give the 100km another shot, but I'm a little afraid since it ended up with a shin injury a year ago.

There's many great ultras in incredibly beautiful (and hostile) places. I'd love to do a desert race as well, but I just cannot handle heat at all.

200mile bike ride sounds pretty extreme as well! my neck, arse and back would be broken after half of that
I love the smaller trail marathons, but there's something about the energy of a massive race that sucks me in. I'm heading your way to do Berlin next year, and am really looking forward to it.

I was actually talking with a local AD yesterday about running. He too loves the trails and the ultras, his current goal being a 100miler. I'll probably shoot for that at some point, but the draw of Boston..... can't really train well for both. Maybe after (if ever) I make it there, i'll go for the serenity of the ultras. The other fear I have of them, though, is that it seems injuries aren't a question of if, but rather a question of severity. Hopefully your shin healed up! It's amazing and frustrating how long recovery can take sometimes.

As for the bike ride - this one was a forced 2 day ride. Absolute blast!
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...06#msg_7415217
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:05 AM   #94
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I don't know how I missed this but another great job Eliot!

It's fantastic to learn more about Mr. Bas through your interview and how lucky we are to have some a knowledgable and great guy like Bas on TRF...his insight and work he shares with us on some of the pieces is one of the major reasons I stick around TRF! Thank you Bas
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:16 AM   #95
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Great interview, nice to put a face to a name. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:14 PM   #96
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
I love the smaller trail marathons, but there's something about the energy of a massive race that sucks me in. I'm heading your way to do Berlin next year, and am really looking forward to it.

I was actually talking with a local AD yesterday about running. He too loves the trails and the ultras, his current goal being a 100miler. I'll probably shoot for that at some point, but the draw of Boston..... can't really train well for both. Maybe after (if ever) I make it there, i'll go for the serenity of the ultras. The other fear I have of them, though, is that it seems injuries aren't a question of if, but rather a question of severity. Hopefully your shin healed up! It's amazing and frustrating how long recovery can take sometimes.

As for the bike ride - this one was a forced 2 day ride. Absolute blast!
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...06#msg_7415217
Have fun in Berlin, I love that city A marathon is a great way to see a good portion of it

a 100 miler is hard! I'd love to run one of those within 4-5 years. There's so many great races

It looks like you had an amazing bike ride, 200 miles of PNW sounds like a dream trip to me I'd love to visit that part of the US.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:44 PM   #97
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Thanks Etschell and Bas! I enjoy the interview threads greatly. After completing motorcycle repairs only to find a piece or two of the bike still laying on the garage floor,I can’t imagine working on a complicated watch.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:47 PM   #98
fmc000
Banned

Bump! Great stuff indeed!
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bas , beer , rolex , running , searchart