The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2020, 11:58 AM   #61
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Does he know you posted this? Maybe give them a head's up? Not all AD's monitor TRF.

After I was booted from the store, I sent him and his sales team an email shortly thereafter to let them know I appreciated the sales associate who was initially working with me. I then let the owner know he could enjoy his Yelp review, Rolex corporate would be contacted, and I’d be posting my experience on multiple forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2020, 12:00 PM   #62
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Op, when you eventually get the watch from somewhere else you should go back to the store with it on your wrist and hand the owner a copy of this book and say “I just wanted to give you this, I really think you need to read it. Have a nice day”

Old 13 June 2020, 12:00 PM   #63
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
After I was booted from the store, I sent him and his sales team an email shortly thereafter to let them know I appreciated the sales associate who was initially working with me. I then let the owner know he could enjoy his Yelp review, Rolex corporate would be contacted, and I’d be posting my experience on multiple forums.

All this because the AD would not give you a discount on a hard to find watch?
Old 13 June 2020, 12:02 PM   #64
Lol-x
Facilitator

That store needs to go out of business.
There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour notwithstanding current financial and market pressure.
All he had to say was "sorry I can't discount that watch", but no he went on like a 2 bob watch!

However, he did you a favour, you still got a pocket of cash and you can spend your money at some worthy establishment or a respectful and trusted seller elsewhere.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 13 June 2020, 12:03 PM   #65
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Way to treat a Marine and someone who serves this country. The guy is an idiot and you did nothing wrong. If anyone says you did then they are idiots too. Irritates me to death.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:03 PM   #66
Rolexflex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar
I think AD's tend to flex a bit more on younger looking people as well. Either way the owner sounds like a proper jackass

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2020, 12:04 PM   #67
J.P. Chase
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
Did you read more than that one quote?
Old 13 June 2020, 12:05 PM   #68
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Read the OP’s full post
Old 13 June 2020, 12:09 PM   #69
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I dislike these out and out negative posts about a business. There's no real right of reply from the other side (they're unlikely to come on TRF!) - and two sides to every story. Also, I bet I could find 100 to 1 who'd have a different opinion about the AD. Sure, OP, not the greatest experience. But that's the world we live in... Sometimes it's rough out there.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:11 PM   #70
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
I dislike these out and out negative posts about a business. There's no real right of reply from the other side (they're unlikely to come on TRF!) - and two sides to every story. Also, I bet I could find 100 to 1 who'd have a different opinion about the AD. Sure, OP, not the greatest experience. But that's the world we live in... Sometimes it's rough out there.
It's hard out there for a Rolex dealer, lots of demand, very little supply. People coming into your store and contacting you constantly.... It's hard being a Rolex P.I.M.P.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2020, 12:11 PM   #71
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
in my case, the moment the owner saw me and started talking to me, he was suspicious I was a flipper and treated me with incredible disrespect. There was no reason to believe this to be the case other than the fact that if you are interested in a stainless steel sports model and are a new customer (especially if you are somewhat young, which I am), you might be a flipper.
If you gave him some indication you were a secondary market dealer or flipper then he would refuse to sell to you based on some evidence that you are a secondary market dealer. Seems you were actually given the opportunity to buy the watch and you declined the purchase opportunity.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:15 PM   #72
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Once an owner starts acting like he doesn’t need a customer’s business he will soon not have any customers business.
Not really. Most successful business owners have learned how to differentiate the tire kickers and, or, lowballer's from good customers.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:15 PM   #73
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
you realize that if they lower their price so you 'don't pay sales tax', you eat at their profit margins right? and since the owner already suspected you to be a flipper (whether it's true or not is irrelevant), the fact that you brought a discount on the table just solidified his belief that you are looking to maximize your profit on a resale. definitely does not excuse that he threw you out of his shop though, I would complain to Rolex for sure.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:16 PM   #74
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really. Most successful business owners have learned how to differentiate the tire kickers and, or, lowballer's from good customers.
Very true, I know this first hand.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:18 PM   #75
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

TERRIBLE AD experience! AG Jeweler, Bellevue, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
If you gave him some indication you were a secondary market dealer or flipper then he would refuse to sell to you based on some evidence that you are a secondary market dealer. Seems you were actually given the opportunity to buy the watch and you declined the purchase opportunity.

I gave him no indication I was a secondary market dealer or flipper other than being a young guy (I’m 33) and that I was interested in a stainless steel model. So yeah, I gave him no evidence to think that. If you are given the opportunity to buy something, by while you’re being given that opportunity you are treated like trash, cut off multiple times, and questioned repeatedly about why you want to buy the item, do you enjoy that and let it fly? Some of y’all must seriously pander to these ADs.

Quote:

You could be right, who knows? But people should also be aware of these terrible 1 in 100 situations. That’s part of the reason for forums like this.

Quote:

If that’s how you want to see it, ok.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:18 PM   #76
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
you realize that if they lower their price so you 'don't pay sales tax', you eat at their profit margins right? and since the owner already suspected you to be a flipper (whether it's true or not is irrelevant), the fact that you brought a discount on the table just solidified his belief that you are looking to maximize your profit on a resale. definitely does not excuse that he threw you out of his shop though, I would complain to Rolex for sure.
Rolex raised their prices across the board on their models, some more than others... Isn't it a buyer's job to get the best price they can? On the flip side it's the sellers job to get the most he can as well...

Old 13 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #77
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If ADs don’t want people asking about the price, they should ask Rolex to take the S out of MSRP
Old 13 June 2020, 12:20 PM   #78
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do realize it cuts into their profit margin. We do it all the time in the industry I’m in to keep clients happy and coming back for more business opportunities in the future. We still make a profit, they’re happy, we’re happy, and more business opportunities exist in the future.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:20 PM   #79
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Op, when you eventually get the watch from somewhere else you should go back to the store with it on your wrist and hand the owner a copy of this book and say “I just wanted to give you this, I really think you need to read it. Have a nice day”

hahahahhhahahaha
Old 13 June 2020, 12:22 PM   #80
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
You should complain direct to Rolex. At least he will be forced to explain his behaviour. I had a similar issue with an AD (Not inferring I'm a flipper but trying to force me to multi buy). My email resulted in the owner contacting me and having to apologise. Gave me a chance to say how i felt about this current practice of lists on top of lists etc. He just had to suck it up.
Let us know if you do decide to take it further?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Did the AD make it up in any other way than an apology?

Old 13 June 2020, 12:24 PM   #81
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Looks like my post was deleted, I understand. You guys don't jive with my sense of humor. Understood. I'll tone it down a notch.

You should have walked out of the store and said "Thanks A lot Karen"

And just leave it at that.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:25 PM   #82
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Unless you live in a state with no sales tax, then you don’t get to avoid sales tax (legally). That’s the issue.

If a store helps you do that that’s their business, but it shouldn’t be held against anyone that isn’t willing to be an accomplice.
of course not, but one shouldn't be held to account if the request is made either. i pay one of the highest property and income tax rates in the country. if i wanna buy a timepiece and not get the state involved, that's my choice. the road in front of the house i pay $20k a year to maintain would ruin most vehicles without lifted suspension and I NEVER take a penny more on income deductions than warranted. i don't care if my state doesnt get my watch tax too
Old 13 June 2020, 12:27 PM   #83
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Shoulda been quiet and bought the watch rather than trying to save some tax. He talked you outa the sale to sell to someone else.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:28 PM   #84
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
I generally skimmed that novel, but I guess that’s an it is what it is moment and does not excuse the AD’s behavior. But you go in for a stainless steel Rolex......he has one and is apparently willing to sell it to you...maybe you should have just paid MSRP. The tax situation is what it is and is getting harder to bypass.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:29 PM   #85
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Shoulda been quiet and bought the watch rather than trying to save some tax. He talked you outa the sale to sell to someone else.

Negative. He was talking me out of the watch, which was weird, before price was ever mentioned or brought up. He started with “why do you want this watch, it looks like your Omega” (I was wearing a Tag Heuer). He then went on to say that it seemed like all I was interested in was hype pieces. All of this before price was even mentioned.

Old 13 June 2020, 12:31 PM   #86
hundreds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerobak View Post
Goldfarb also treated me like garbage. I was looking for the Sea-Dweller or Submariner. Went into the store, locked, but a saleswoman opened the door for me. Checking my entire attire from top to bottom. Granted I was very noobie in term of watch jewelry, and just tried to ask around about the sub and sea-d. The only info I got from her was those models are only for our customers with the fakest and most sarcastic smile ever. Hahaha. I couldn't stand it and left the store within 3 minutes.

I ended up stopping by Ben Bridge on Downtown Seattle. Striked a conversation with Dan, and he started to educate me about the whole SS watch game without being snobbish. He recommended me to look for Sub-C instead, and sure enough he got it for me within 6 weeks. Be like Dan, he's a great Rolex salesman.

Sounds about right. Take your business to Ben Bridge in downtown Seattle or even another location.
Old 13 June 2020, 12:32 PM   #87
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
Did the AD make it up in any other way than an apology?

Greg is in Australia. Think about the lack of supply at ADs in America/Europe/etc then multiply that by infinity and you'd still not be close to how hard it is to get Rolex's here.

Long way of saying I'd bet good money that after the lip service apology he got put on the naughty list never to be sold a watch!
Old 13 June 2020, 12:32 PM   #88
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

TERRIBLE AD experience! AG Jeweler, Bellevue, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
I generally skimmed that novel, but I guess that’s an it is what it is moment and does not excuse the AD’s behavior. But you go in for a stainless steel Rolex......he has one and is apparently willing to sell it to you...maybe you should have just paid MSRP. The tax situation is what it is and is getting harder to bypass.

You’re right. It is what it is and hindsight is 20/20, but I’m pretty glad now that I didn’t give them my money.

I also hate the attitude that we, the consumers, are supposed to feel privileged that an AD was “willing” to sell me something. Rolex is such a strong brand that the customers only enjoy the privilege of handing over their money. ADs be like “imma treat you like shit, but you should feel privileged that I’m letting you give me your money for this product”

Old 13 June 2020, 12:34 PM   #89
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greg is in Australia. Think about the lack of supply at ADs in America/Europe/etc then multiply that by infinity and you'd still not be close to how hard it is to get Rolex's here.

Long way of saying I'd bet good money that after the lip service apology he got put on the naughty list never to be sold a watch!

Absolutely. There’s no way they’ll sell me a watch now, but it’s a moot point. I wouldn’t buy a watch from them now anyway, so

Old 13 June 2020, 12:35 PM   #90
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Correct. It is his son, Steven Goldfarb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_7gR24upc
Closed Thread

Tags
alvin goldfarb , rolex