The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #1
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Just another AD waiting list story

I just published a blog post about my experience trying to purchase SS sports models from various ADs in my city. It's nothing new really but just my personal experience and my opinion of the whole "sport model shortage" situation.

I would copy and paste it over here but it's quite long so here is the direct link: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/role...orized-dealer/
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:28 PM   #2
cvera
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, interesting read. Six months of searching/asking and basically no offer was extended to you that caught your eye enough to make the purchase.
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:38 PM   #3
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvera View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, interesting read. Six months of searching/asking and basically no offer was extended to you that caught your eye enough to make the purchase.
Thanks, I hope it gives some of the newer Rolex buyers some insight into this industry. Of course this can vary from city to city but the general situation will remain similar.

It's crazy to step back and think about it for a moment, these are just watches, as much as we love them is it really worth all that time and mental energy to chase them from the AD?
Old 22 June 2020, 12:40 PM   #4
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I just published a blog post about my experience trying to purchase SS sports models from various ADs in my city. It's nothing new really but just my personal experience and my opinion of the whole "sport model shortage" situation.

I would copy and paste it over here but it's quite long so here is the direct link: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/role...orized-dealer/
Interesting & informative read. Thank you.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:40 PM   #5
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I hope it gives some of the newer Rolex buyers some insight into this industry. Of course this can vary from city to city but the general situation will remain similar.

It's crazy to step back and think about it for a moment, these are just watches, as much as we love them is it really worth all that time and mental energy to chase them from the AD?

No

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:50 PM   #6
djyolky
Banned

I'm looking at Panerai, they are doing many more interesting things than Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:54 PM   #7
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I'm looking at Panerai, they are doing many more interesting things than Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Panerai is a great option for sure. I'm still looking at Rolex grey but definitely more open to other brands.
Old 22 June 2020, 12:58 PM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Your article pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:13 PM   #9
briansp82593
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I feel like you accurately described the situation 100%. However I can tell you this, I have some history with my local AD. Going back 2-3 years. I’ve bought a stainless GMT 116710LN out of their cabinet (before the availability hit the fan) and bought a solid yellow gold submariner from them April 2020.

I asked about buying a white explorer 2. Told “about a year for that”.

Asked about a green sub. They laughed that off.

Asked about a black sub. I was told “it’s going to be awhile”

I apparently bought zero loyalty. And have been offered nothing.

My new explorer 2 arrives tomorrow that I bought gray.

I’m over this game. I’m not going to fight, beg, or plead with an AD to try and spend 8-10 grand.
briansp82593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:21 PM   #10
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
It’s a familiar story, but it’s only really been like this in the last few years. Before that the shortage was never this extreme. You can’t expect Rolex to ramp up its production because there’s a sudden hype in Sub, GMT, Daytonas. I know it’s frustrating but it’s market dynamics and for one-off buyers it’s OP, DJ or go grey.

You can usually get a beautiful OP, DJ, Explorer or Day Date as a Crown for an achievement.

I don’t think the shortage affects the brand perception negatively, probably the opposite.

Not sure why people think the ‘AD experience’ makes a difference, it really doesn’t, it’s just the price difference. You can get an empty warranty card at a grey dealer and put your name on it as well.

It’s really like this in my opinion:

1. You want to buy a highly sought-after SS Rolex and are not interested to buy any DJ, OP, Day Date or PM Rolex models

2. You have decided to build a Rolex collection, know what you want, have the $ to do so and want some PM pieces as well as SS pieces

3. You’re a high-roller with private collections and also buy jewelry/watches as presents for family/friends

If you’re in 2 or 3 you can go to an AD and build up the relationship, spend your money etc blabla

If you’re in 1 and cannot wait, you can:

A. buy Grey
B. buy from a trusted seller on TRF
C. have a good friend/family member in 2 or 3 help you out

If you’re in 1 and are not in a hurry/very patient,

D. get on many AD waitlists for the watch you want (drive to small towns, newly opened ADs, privately owned ADs, chain-owned ADs)
E. pop into an AD whenever you see one and enquire about the watch you want
F. Try your luck at airports whenever you travel (ask friends/family members that travel frequently/are in the airline industry)

If you’re upset with Rolex about it, you can move on to PP or AP but afraid it’s the same with sought after models. Or you can go Omega, Panerai or Tag or so but you may still end up wanting that elusive Rolex...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:22 PM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansp82593 View Post
I feel like you accurately described the situation 100%. However I can tell you this, I have some history with my local AD. Going back 2-3 years. I’ve bought a stainless GMT 116710LN out of their cabinet (before the availability hit the fan) and bought a solid yellow gold submariner from them April 2020.

I’m over this game. I’m not going to fight, beg, or plead with an AD to try and spend 8-10 grand.
That's absolutely crazy that even with buying history like that they're unable to get you anything. Rolex has limited supply so much that now they are getting the pieces only for the buyers that are spending massive amounts of cash on PM pieces. Now the sales reps are forced to ignore loyal customers like yourself.

I'm totally over it myself and will be going grey If I really want something, it's just not worth the time. Glad I figured it out sooner than later though, and I hope others do as well.
Old 22 June 2020, 01:25 PM   #12
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
It’s a familiar story, but it’s only really been like this in the last few years. Before that the shortage was never this extreme. You can’t expect Rolex to ramp up its production because there’s a sudden hype in Sub, GMT, Daytonas. I know it’s frustrating but it’s market dynamics and for one-off buyers it’s OP, DJ or go grey.

You can usually get a beautiful OP, DJ, Explorer or Day Date as a Crown for an achievement.

I don’t think the shortage affects the brand perception negatively, probably the opposite.

Not sure why people think the ‘AD experience’ makes a difference, it really doesn’t, it’s just the price difference. You can get an empty warranty card at a grey dealer and put your name on it as well.

1. You want to buy a highly sought-after SS Rolex and are not interested to buy any DJ, OP, Day Date or PM Rolex models

2. You have decided to build a Rolex collection, know what you want, have the $ to do so and want some PM pieces as well as SS pieces

3. You’re a high-roller with private collections and also buy jewelry/watches as presents for family/friends

If you’re in 2 or 3 you can go to an AD and build up the relationship, spend your money etc blabla

A. buy Grey

D. get on many AD waitlists for the watch you want (drive to small towns, newly opened ADs, privately owned ADs, chain-owned ADs)
F. Try your luck at airports whenever you travel (ask friends/family members that travel frequently/are in the airline industry)

If you’re upset with Rolex about it, you can move on to PP or AP but afraid it’s the same with sought after models. Or you can go Omega, Panerai or Tag or so but you may still end up wanting that elusive Rolex...

Very well said, thanks for your input.
Old 22 June 2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Shortage only tells you the branding is as successful as ever

It’s free market competition for these watches. Nobody (or grey dealers) is rigging the market by taking losses and then asking government for bail out.

Everything is about profit and losses. The black market (ie the grey dealers) thrive because the price is set too low in accordance to the robust demand.

If you can’t afford grey or be a high spender in ADs, there is omega with no wait list and high depreciation once u walked out of the store
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:32 PM   #14
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Panerai is a great option for sure. I'm still looking at Rolex grey but definitely more open to other brands.
You might consider purchasing a model from the 98% of Rolex product line that is readily available from AD's.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:36 PM   #15
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:

Very insightful, thanks for the read OP. My only personnal experiences with Montreal ADs were by phone last year when I wanted to purchase a Tudor BB58. Let's just say I was not overly impressed by their attitude. So I can't imagine how difficult it was for you to get the most desirable Rolex references without any purchase history.

Unfortunately, Montreal is one of those 'hip' cities that attracts many tourists and I also have a feeling that a lot of local french canadian 'celebrities' (tv actors and comedians) who are pretty much all living there certainly get preferential treatment from ADs over us lowly plebeians. If I were you, I would wait until the end of the year and if nothing good comes out of that, either go grey or look for other brands. I certainly would not mind buying an Omega seamaster diver at a good discount if I can't get a sub date.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:38 PM   #16
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post

A. buy Grey

+1, some excellent advice here.

I actually have as many stories of being offered an in-demand watch, as I have of being frustrated by my experiences of trying to buy a watch I wanted.

I’ve been offered watches that are in demand and tough to find, but I didn’t want those.

By no means was the frustrating experience always a Rolex experience. It’s the same for at least 2-3 other brands.

So all this coupled with the incomings here and the stories of friends who have been able to purchase from AD’s the watches they desired, tells me that perseverance is key. As is being able to identify the right AD and ability to strike up a relationship without necessarily buying things you don’t want.
Old 22 June 2020, 01:38 PM   #17
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
You might consider purchasing a model from the 98% of Rolex product line that is readily available from AD's.
Yea precisely

Everybody wants the hot models. Unfortunately, the well to do ones will always be one step ahead. This is reality, seriously. Get over it
Old 22 June 2020, 01:38 PM   #18
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Very insightful, thanks for the read OP. My only personnal experiences with Montreal ADs were by phone last year when I wanted to purchase a Tudor BB58. Let's just say I was not overly impressed by their attitude. So I can't imagine how difficult it was for you to get the most desirable Rolex references without any purchase history.

Unfortunately, Montreal is one of those 'hip' cities that attracts many tourists and I also have a feeling that a lot of local french canadian 'celebrities' (tv actors and comedians) who are pretty much all living there certainly get preferential treatment from ADs over us lowly plebeians. If I were you, I would wait until the end of the year and if nothing good comes out of that, either go grey or look for other brands. I certainly would not mind buying an Omega seamaster diver at a good discount if I can't get a sub date.

They have millions of Instagram followers... do you?
Old 22 June 2020, 01:44 PM   #19
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansp82593 View Post

Wow. I had to read this twice. You spend $35K on a PM piece only to be laughed at later. Sorry, dude. That's disheartening.

I was originally disappointed in myself for caving and buying a BNIB 116610LV Hulk from a TS for about $14K last month. But then it dawned on me: nobody is getting SS pieces at MSRP. "VIP customers" have to purchase other high-margin items to get into the good graces of the AD. Those pieces take a steep depreciation drop the moment they're worn out of the store.

It likely pales in comparison to the premium of going with a gray.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:45 PM   #20
David007Kim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Hey friend,...just go “Grey Market”,...I went through a lot of grief and unpleasant experiences for almost 3 years. I’ve been on 2 lists for a Daytona(116500LN), Hulk Submariner(116610LV) or a BatmanGMT(126710BLNR). Point blank,...wasted time and was even looked down on when I place my checkbook and credit card to offer to “Pay in Full”. Finally when COVID 19 came a few months ago, the “Premium Prices” came down a little. I purchased a Steel Daytona(116500LN) from DavidSW and they even negotiated a little with me if I “bank wired” the funds in which I went ahead and completed. Chris from DavidSW was extremely gracious and even sent me extra photos of the watch and more importantly kept in contact with me the during the whole process. Buying what you “want” is the ONLY way to go!!!,...no games or begging to be on a list when you’re spending over $10k or $15k, these so-called “Rolex AD” salespeople have ZERO manners or knowledge about Customer Service! After all, we’re the ones with the CASH and there’s no room for “attitudes” and laughs from these condescending salespeople. My income over the last 3 years has almost doubled through hard work, dedication and caring about my clients, it’s unfortunate because Instagram, YouTube and what “Rolex” themselves want going forward about exclusivity about their brand. Unless you spend $100k PLUS at an AD, true watch fans will never be able to obtain “Popular SS Professional” pieces. Go Grey!,...Negotiations are a must and you will be able to buy something for “Fair Market Price”. I made this decision from experience with visiting AD’s and from having clients that are very close with people that work at AD’s. You live and you learn,...but more importantly, you live to see another day making more money and buying what you want without wasting time, getting insulted and having people “suggest” what/how to spend YOUR MONEY that YOU earned!
David007Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:52 PM   #21
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
I agree with your article, especially this paragraph:

Quote:
During this whole process I had time to think, who is at fault here? It seems like a coordinated process from both the Rolex AD’s as well as the Rolex brand directly. Surely Rolex loves the current state of demand for their sports models or they would simply expand production, they’re certainly aware of the current situation.
It's perhaps worth noting that the scarcity of stainless steel Professional models (except the Daytona) is a relatively recent development. The current situation will reverse itself in due course, though how long this will take is anyone's guess. Luxury wristwatches are by definition not a necessity, so I have no problem waiting ages to obtain a Submariner from an AD.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:00 PM   #22
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
I agree with your article, especially this paragraph:

It's perhaps worth noting that the scarcity of stainless steel Professional models (except the Daytona) is a relatively recent development. The current situation will reverse itself in due course, though how long this will take is anyone's guess. Luxury wristwatches are by definition not a necessity, so I have no problem waiting ages to obtain a Submariner from an AD.
Yes very true, I don't mind how it was 5 years ago. A little bit of scarcity makes the game fun, but when it's virtually impossible to buy any nice SS sports model it's gone way too far. I can understand such a thing with brands like Patek for example who are more meticulous and have fully decorated movements, but for mass produced Rolex it's unacceptable. They have the means to expand or just shift production velocity from less desired models into the professional line but they've decided not to.
Old 22 June 2020, 02:04 PM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

... is it really worth all that time and mental energy to chase them from the AD?
Absolutely !!

You bought the air king grey .Anything you want is available in the grey market .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:06 PM   #24
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes very true, I don't mind how it was 5 years ago. A little bit of scarcity makes the game fun, but when it's virtually impossible to buy any nice SS sports model it's gone way too far. I can understand such a thing with brands like Patek for example who are more meticulous and have fully decorated movements, but for mass produced Rolex it's unacceptable. They have the means to expand or just shift production velocity from less desired models into the professional line but they've decided not to.

Let’s be honest. Some of the demand is from the scarcity. Rolex is a mass produced watch and they will come back down. I just can’t see paying over a certain amount for their watches unless it’s a PM. That number is 20k. Anything over 20 will be a something more intricate, whether movement or craftsmanship. It’s like a snobby girl. Forget her

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:18 PM   #25
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

You sound genuinely hurt and upset. Relax bud, take a look at some other luxury watches or if you really want a Rolex SS piece, go Gray.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:21 PM   #26
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I noticed that a Sub is on your list. You can easily obtain one within 48 hours at a slight premium. Check out DavidSW.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:30 PM   #27
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I noticed that a Sub is on your list. You can easily obtain one within 48 hours at a slight premium. Check out DavidSW.
In the process of doing that, cheers
Old 22 June 2020, 02:44 PM   #28
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

great read, thanks for sharing. good insight for folks getting into the rolex game
Old 22 June 2020, 02:44 PM   #29
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
...but for mass produced Rolex it's unacceptable. They have the means to expand or just shift production velocity from less desired models into the professional line but they've decided not to.

Sorry, but that makes little to no commercial sense.

What it does is pander to the market whims that shift based on what’s hot on Instagram for a passing period of time. What Rolex sees is an opportunity to cross sell and up sell other product which is what they seem to be doing successfully. They’re not the only ones that have to deal with opportunities such as this, and while it leaves a few new WIS, the majority of the market gets to buy what they want or buy something else instead.
Old 22 June 2020, 03:57 PM   #30
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

You are absolutely right, it really is just another story that we’ve all heard before.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorized , dealer , list , rolex , wait