The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 June 2021, 10:07 PM   #1
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
What Countries Have the Highest/Lowest Prices for Vintage?

I know the modern forum talks about this a lot and it’s interesting- akin to the Economist’s Big Mac Index. But I’m curious about vintage. I often see relatively cheap prices on vintage Rolex pieces on eBay from Japan, so it makes me wonder: if you want to buy a four digit Rolex, what country would you have the most buying power, including any VAT but excluding duty you would pay to bring it home with you? Would it be the same for very desirable pieces (DRSD, PN Daytona, etc.)?

For my part, it seems Canada is more expensive than the US, despite the exchange rate. And my impression is that UK prices are higher than Canada.

Interested to hear the thoughts of this global community.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You must have a good source. The prices I see in Japan are absolutely nuts.
Old 23 June 2021, 10:46 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
You must have a good source. The prices I see in Japan are absolutely nuts.
agree with Dan. The vintage Rolex in Japan are not cheap at all.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 11:18 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I often see relatively cheap prices on vintage Rolex pieces on eBay from Japan
Nooooo. It's cheaper for me to import stuff to Japan from the US, and pay the shipping and duties, than to buy in Japan. There's some good stuff here, but it ain't cheap. Generally 20 - 30% more than in the US for vintage steel sports Rolex/Tudor, if not more.

I could alternatively fly from Japan to the US, pick up the watch and fly back to Japan with it on my wrist, and it would still be cheaper all told.

This Japanese dealer is akin to HQ Milton/Tropical Watch (highly trusted, nice pieces): https://www.libertas-watch.com/ Compare and contrast prices with the US.

UK prices are indeed prohibitively silly, especially in those central-London shopping arcades.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 11:47 PM   #5
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

I should clarify that I’ve seen a number of Datejusts, in particular for good prices from Japan - on eBay. Also several Omegas. Not desirable Rolex, however.
Old 23 June 2021, 11:59 PM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Nooooo. It's cheaper for me to import stuff to Japan from the US, and pay the shipping and duties, than to buy in Japan. There's some good stuff here, but it ain't cheap. Generally 20 - 30% more than in the US for vintage steel sports Rolex/Tudor, if not more.

I could alternatively fly from Japan to the US, pick up the watch and fly back to Japan with it on my wrist, and it would still be cheaper all told.

This Japanese dealer is akin to HQ Milton/Tropical Watch (highly trusted, nice pieces): https://www.libertas-watch.com/ Compare and contrast prices with the US.

UK prices are indeed prohibitively silly, especially in those central-London shopping arcades.
Why do you see a couple of US dealers with Japanese imported watches? Locally sourced watches? I'm positive they've got a line with someone there.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 01:55 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The U.S. seems to best place to buy vintage. Europe, especially the U.K., is expensive, and Japan is crazy. I went vintage watch shopping in Tokyo in 2019 and was shocked. Came home empty-handed.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 03:09 AM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I travelled alot and went shopping all over. Agree with the above, I'll say US is the least expensive and the UK being pricey.
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 03:25 AM   #9
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

I used to see cheaper prices for vintage seiko on ebay 5-10 years ago. Even that is on the rise.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 04:10 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Canadian sellers love getting usd$. I’m guilty of that. If you find watches locally in Canada you can do okay. The usd is weak compared with the normal fx of 1.3.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 05:14 AM   #11
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I see 4/5 digit DD's and DJ's coming out of Hong Kong being VERY expensive and selling quickly .

Germany and Dubai also at the higher end.

Here in the states anywhere between NY and CA seem to be on the lower side.

This is based on what I have bought and see on IG
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 05:40 AM   #12
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

I should note that I lived in Switzerland for many years and the prices of vintage pieces actually used to be lower than the US, but this seems to have changed over the past five years or so.
Old 24 June 2021, 08:51 AM   #13
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

I have seen some okay deals coming from Japan on other brands to your point but there are becoming less and less now.

Thinking back, you could have bought a Tudor submariner 79190 for $5K a few years back. That’s gone now
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:15 AM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Japan and uK have the highest prices I have seen......all nice pieces are going up and up and away
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 01:20 AM   #15
nevikwen
"TRF" Member

I've window shopped around. It seems to me that Hong Kong may have the lowest prices...
A few Dubai sellers i saw had marginally higher prices...
nevikwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 08:46 AM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Hong Kong used to be one of the lowest, with most stores, but not so sure these days.
Old 26 June 2021, 03:31 PM   #17
blam3344
"TRF" Member

Without any doubts, US has the largest vintage watch market with best quality of vintage watch choices. I lived at Canada, Hong Kong, Europe( Belgium and England), Singapore and Japan for couple years. My personal experience, Mexico has the relatively cheapest price on Vintage watch but I just couldn’t trust it’s quality and authenticity. Therefore, you can’t go wrong buying vintage watch at US with the largest selections in the world.
blam3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 04:37 AM   #18
Gaz1A
"TRF" Member

Good thread, yeah Japan prices are crazy. I have found HK to be on the cheaper side but you never know authenticity...
Gaz1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2021, 05:39 PM   #19
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

For the neo vintage stuff that is in my price range, the UK is the most expensive, Japan, HK, US, EU etc are all cheaper. Guess which country I live in!
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2021, 12:59 PM   #20
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Great thread in my experience Singapore is brilliant for vintage watches but mighty expensive,Japan looking from a distance is on a par with Singapore if not more expensive.The uk has good stock when you look around but prices are on the high side,for me and I say it because I live here now you can pick up some great pieces for good money here in Australia just not as much on the market as other countries
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 12:39 AM   #21
VoyTirando
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Long time lurker, but joined a bit ago so I could research the (awesome, purportedly "non-desirable" and lovely) Rolex 1501 on my wrist right now. Anyway, got into vintage Seikos a few years ago, joined WUS, got into vintage Omegas, began to poke around, bought and sold a few of each, then moved to Spain from the US last winter just as the vintage Tudor, and Rolex, bug began to nibble at my nethers.....

But to add to the conversation, prices in Spain are high for vintage Rolex, and Seiko, and Tudor (though strangely there seem to be decent deals on Omega, Longines, and a few others).

I have a theory that's probably not original, not particularly thought through. But essentially, the online world, and especially things like C24, are creating a more globalized market, and anyone savvy enough to research what they have - which is anyone these days - can click around and then begin to price what they have based on a sale to nearly anywhere in the world. What matters now isn't where one is, but what one has to sell.

E.g. there's a seller on C24 that is physically located in the town next to me. In fact, I ride my road bike through that town a couple times a week. I wrote the seller about a watch once, they were open to doing a cash F2F deal, but with no discount, nothing. The price was the price. Out of curiosity I've checked their (non C24) website out a few times over the months, and watches are definitely moving. From my non-representative sample, the vintage prices are high and they're selling at those prices.

There are some caveats, which I've learned as I've researched and passed on things. For example, if you're in the EU, and want to buy something from outside of the EU, you're likely going to get nailed on import taxes, to the tune of about 21% here in Spain. To use terminology from my professional life, that "puts a chill" on imports. And consequently protects the domestic vintage market from competition abroad, keeping prices higher than (IMHO) they should be.

A couple years ago, living in the US, I bought two or three watches abroad via forums, and had no such issues having them shipped to me.
VoyTirando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 07:30 AM   #22
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I had good luck finding a minty 18238 DD in Japan at a great price, but it was at a small lesser known second hand dealer. The bigger name vintage dealers in Japan all seem quite pricy in comparison.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 09:11 AM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post
The bigger name vintage dealers in Japan all seem quite pricy in comparison.
They are, but you get what you pay for. Quality, service, warranty and peace of mind.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 05:10 PM   #24
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

If you look at a particular watch on, say Chrono 24 then the Japanese, US and and mainland European prices are cheaper than the UK prices on average. I can only speak for the ads, and don't know whether the watches are poor quality examples, but Japan is often one of the cheapest.

Do bear in mind that all UK prices include tax (on used, payable by the dealer on their margin, on new, a flat 20% VAT). If I was to buy a £5k Explorer for example in the US, Europe or Japan, it's going to have VAT added on arrival to the UK, and VAT on the shipping, so I'd be looking at somewhere over £6k.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 05:52 PM   #25
Edge
"TRF" Member

US market is most affordable and widest variety. HK and SG are still strong imho, however Japan and UK are often grossly expensive and for some (inc me) oftentimes prohibitively expensive. The market in Australia is poor, there a very limited numbers of pieces and the prices are often disproportionately high. For many pieces (covid notwithstanding) I could fly to the US and bring it back after having a holiday for less than the cost in Oz.

Just my $0.02
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 05:00 PM   #26
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

USA and Thailand, specifically Bangkok.
If you know where to go, and cash (USD) is king.
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 06:41 PM   #27
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I usually buy from the USA, particularly when the Swedish krona is strong against the dollar which unfortunately it hasn't been for a while now
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:30 PM   #28
cts
"TRF" Member

Europe and US have best selection but Europe is by far more expensive..
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #29
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure if Singapore has the lower prices though.. I done seem to see vintage being any cheaper than the US or HK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote