The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2006, 03:39 AM   #1
kieran

old daytona or new which should i buy?

hi all another situation i find myself in,i have found a 1999 zenith tt daytona,box,photo copy of papers,condition 9/10 for 4,400 stg,or i can geta new one,5,350stg which would be the most prudent buy long term
many thanks
kieran
Old 20 September 2006, 04:12 AM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Moved this post here so you can get more feedback.

Both watches are great time pieces, it comes down to taste really as the Zenith and Rolex movt daytonas have slightly different dials. There has been speculation that one day Zenith Daytonas will be worth money as collectors items (more so with the SS models) but I buy watches to enjoy and to enjoy now! With that being said, although used is perfectly fine and will still outlive its owner, there is something magical about getting a brand spanking new Rolex.
Old 20 September 2006, 04:19 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
hi all another situation i find myself in,i have found a 1999 zenith tt daytona,box,photo copy of papers,condition 9/10 for 4,400 stg,or i can geta new one,5,350stg which would be the most prudent buy long term
many thanks
kieran
Hi Kieran,

While I would have to agree with Roger being a NEW WATCH guy myself, a Zenith Daytona would also be an excellent buy and I think would hold its value pretty well through the coming years.

Good luck in your decision.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 20 September 2006, 07:35 AM   #4
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT YM TT Sub TT Da
I have a new Daytona TT and highly recommend it. It is the most comfortable of my 4 watches and keeps great time. Only thing I would do different would be to pass on the steel dial.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:07 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

I think I would go with the zenith given the choice.
The 4130 is a great movement,but I think down the road the zenith movements have a lot of upside potential.
Old 20 September 2006, 11:48 AM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
The new watch would give me peace of mind with a warranty.
Old 20 September 2006, 06:23 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Agree with Mike in terms of rarity the Zenith IMO will be the most collectible and in future will command a higher price.Like Mike said the 4130 is a fine movement,and so is the Zenith El-Primo.The Zenith Daytona is unique after the mod by Rolex,so IMHO it will be much more collectible,and IMO a nicer looking watch.The El-Primo movement has been around for a long time now,and is a well regarded and respected movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 21 September 2006, 02:07 AM   #8
kieran

what price in usa?

as a matter of interest what price could you get a tt daytona,or a tt datejust in the usa?
thanks kieran
Old 21 September 2006, 04:18 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
as a matter of interest what price could you get a tt daytona,or a tt datejust in the usa?
thanks kieran
TT watches are much better discountable by any AD as compared with the SS ones. You will always get a better deal on the price with a TT, but you do realise you still fork out a lot in comparison with the amount of actual gold you get in return.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 21 September 2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Atomic

While the Rolex movement is arguably the best chrono movement currently in production (fewest parts, longest PR) I'd tip my hat to the Zenith movement. I think it'll appreciate as the Rolex movement becomes more commonplace.

Old 21 September 2006, 06:49 AM   #11
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

The closer you can pay to £4k Sterling the better. I have not seen any proper Daytona TT sell for much less than this.

£5350 for a new TT Daytona is a little strong IMO. I paid £4950 for mine, one month old, in 2003.
Old 14 June 2020, 12:11 AM   #12
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Oh my, how times have changed.
Old 14 June 2020, 12:42 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Oh my, how times have changed.
Just what is the point in replying to a thread 14 years old?????????

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread