The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2006, 06:11 PM   #1
amanda
Banned

I need inspiration.....

I'm impatient and want a Rolex now, but have to save for it...

So tell me, whats the longest amount of time anyone on here has had to save to buy their Rolex?

Feel free to PM me if you like, this is a rather personal question and by no means do wish to enter into a 'how much do you earn' kinda scenario' I just want to see how patient you guys can be, give me some inspiration.

Obviously personal circumstances vary for us all, so if you have a 100% disposable income for rolexs, I dont think we really need to know that (but LUCKY you if that is you) no braggers thanks....

I've been thinking buying used will get me a watch quicker but trying to slow myself down so I dont make a mistake!

At the end of the day its just a material possession... I get that, so dont take this post too seriously
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Amanda,

That's a nicely worded post and beautifully presented.

Only you can honestly tell yourself whether you are presently in a financial position to afford a Rolex. Personally, I DO NOT believe in second hand stuff or used objects. For me it must be BRAND NEW only. But, that's me.

In your case, I guess patience would be the name of the game. And it would all depend on your saving capacity....at what expense, I don't know. But as long as you are happy with the bare essentials of life and can put aside some for the Rolex, you should be fine.

I sincerely wish you luck in this endeavour and hope you can be sporting a new Rolex soon enough.

Good luck, Amanda!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 06:22 PM   #3
amanda
Banned

Ha for me its not soo much the 'cant afford it category' its the ' my partner will kill me kinda thing' have to tread very lightly stealthy savings kinda thing.... might have to sacrifice a few other toys, like fancy Canon L lenses kinda thing....

It's a hard life being in love..... with Rolex's i mean only one of us shares the love....

Old 19 September 2006, 06:31 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Amanda set yourself a goal save for the watch you really want.Myself have not a problem buying second hand,from a reliable source.But with a little bit of care that Rolex watch will last you a life time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 06:37 PM   #5
miner
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex in 1996, a second hand 10yo GMT II. I really wanted a Rolex and couldn't afford a sub so the GMT was a stop gap. It was a fantastic buy and stills runs perfectly. But I've always wanted a new Rolex so started saving about 5 years ago - $100 a month and finally bought the BNIB sd this year.
NB Good second hand will last you for ages, 10 years is nothing for a Rolex, worked for me

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post

It's a hard life being in love..... with Rolex's i mean only one of us shares the love....

I feel ya there amanda. Same thing here.
Old 19 September 2006, 08:11 PM   #7
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
But I've always wanted a new Rolex so started saving about 5 years ago - $100 a month and finally bought the BNIB sd this year.
Miner - you are a legend! Now thats patience, I admire goal setting ALOT. Thanks for sharing that with me and the rest of TRF

Mailman - how do you handle your love interest then (watches I mean)?? I might need some tips....
Old 19 September 2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
OK, I'll keep my mouth shut here. As Sash is my witness, it's not just for watches but for everything that I've got the patience of a 5-year-old with ADHD - I can't wait for my instant noodles to be ready!
Old 19 September 2006, 09:06 PM   #9
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey Amanda,

Three years ago I didn't even know what a Rolex looked like as I had no interest in dress watches. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the Rolex "Sports" models were everything I wanted.(Rotating bezels,stainless steel,black dials,water resistant and great lume.)

From that point on I saved,wheeled and dealed and sold other watches that were not used and finally came up with a very good U series Sub,for a great price.

Since then I have bought and sold a few Rollies and have finally ended up with my current D series.What I am trying to say is things come to those that wait and if you are at the right place at the right time good fortune will shine on you.

Its worth it.

Aaron
Old 19 September 2006, 09:07 PM   #10
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
OK, I'll keep my mouth shut here. As Sash is my witness, it's not just for watches but for everything that I've got the patience of a 5-year-old with ADHD - I can't wait for my instant noodles to be ready!
here here....same here
Old 19 September 2006, 09:44 PM   #11
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Well, if you work off a strict budget like me, you know exactly what you can afford.

For me, it was easy to put the 20% down and finance the rest interest free over a period of 12 months. Without that, I can say that I wouldn't be wearing a Rolex. Most larger AD's will give you the 20% down, 12 months interest free option.

I know some here don't agree with financing, and that's fine. But, for me, who is not in trouble with credit, and who understands what it means to make all the monthly payments till it's paid off, it was a great way for me to work it.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 09:47 PM   #12
----

Although not a Rolex I think John (Atomic) has certainly been patient getting his Panny.....
Old 19 September 2006, 10:45 PM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
The first Rolex I purchased was a vintage 1983 TT DJ. Two of the next three Rolexes I bought were previously worn - the newest being a '91 DJ that I bought in '03. All of them run beautifully and all look like they just came out of the store.

Don't discount buying formerly owned, Amanda. You can get good deals that way and you won't have to wait as long to get what you want.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 10:59 PM   #14
Atomic

Once I decided I wanted a Rolex I had to wait two years (of convincing and nagging/whining to my wife) before I got it. Then a month after I got it I discovered Panerai and realized I should have done more research as I would have gotten a Panny in a heartbeat before a Rolex.

As Al said, I waited patiently for over three years before I got my Panerai.

Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:16 PM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
For what it's worth, Amanda, you don't have to make it first, but it'll be good if you make it last.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:32 PM   #16
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Amanda,
When I read your post carefully, it seems that finances are only a portion of the concern. The other concern involves your partner who doesn't share your passion for Rolex. I think it's safe to say that many of us have partners that don't share our passion for watches.

I'm sure your partner has a passion, and putting aside finances, I think you should discuss how important this matter is to you and maybe your partner will begin to understand. Maybe your partner really doesn't have a true understanding of just how important this particular "material possession" is to you.

Only then will your partner appreciate your desire to own this watch and at that point may actually WANT you to have the watch. I may be completely wrong, but you may want to play that angle. Even though your partner may not UNDERSTAND why the watch is so important to you, it may be imperative that at least your partner KNOWS how important the watch is, and then maybe the finances can be managed so there will be a Rolex in your near future.

I may be totally off base, but you never know. How would YOU react if the situation was reversed? Wouldn't you want to see your partner happy?
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 11:39 PM   #17
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I started saving money 3 months before I purchased my preowned GMT. I sold around $1,500 of stuff on eBay and dipped into my bank account for the rest. The eBay sales kept me from feeling such a huge hit on my finances.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 12:54 AM   #18
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Amanda,
I agree with Doc.
But from personal experience ( not mine, but others I know), even if you save up for the Rolex, your partner may not approve.
If that person has an issue with you spending serious money on a watch, I don't think it matter whether you have the money now, or save up for it.
Some people just don't get it, and might not ever.
Talk it over first, see if your partner is okay with your savings plan for your watch.
I wouldn't want the watch to be a cause of resentment down the road.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 01:17 AM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Amanda,
I agree with Doc.
But from personal experience ( not mine, but others I know), even if you save up for the Rolex, your partner may not approve.
If that person has an issue with you spending serious money on a watch, I don't think it matter whether you have the money now, or save up for it.
Some people just don't get it, and might not ever.
Talk it over first, see if your partner is okay with your savings plan for your watch.
I wouldn't want the watch to be a cause of resentment down the road.
Agreed. My wife actually despises this hobby of mine, and it's a routine cause for disagreements, which only makes my passion burn hotter and gets me in hotter water.

BTW, absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying previously enjoyed. You can save a bundle off retail and get the watch you want faster. I have yet to buy a mechanical watch BNIB and I have yet to be disappointed with my purchases.
Old 20 September 2006, 02:39 AM   #20
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Amanda,
When I read your post carefully, it seems that finances are only a portion of the concern. The other concern involves your partner who doesn't share your passion for Rolex. I think it's safe to say that many of us have partners that don't share our passion for watches.

I'm sure your partner has a passion, and putting aside finances, I think you should discuss how important this matter is to you and maybe your partner will begin to understand. Maybe your partner really doesn't have a true understanding of just how important this particular "material possession" is to you.

Only then will your partner appreciate your desire to own this watch and at that point may actually WANT you to have the watch. I may be completely wrong, but you may want to play that angle. Even though your partner may not UNDERSTAND why the watch is so important to you, it may be imperative that at least your partner KNOWS how important the watch is, and then maybe the finances can be managed so there will be a Rolex in your near future.

I may be totally off base, but you never know. How would YOU react if the situation was reversed? Wouldn't you want to see your partner happy?
Excellent post Doc!

I would say I'm living the exact situation you describe in that although my wife does not share my passion for watches, she knows that it makes me happy, so within reason supports my hobby. When I say within reason it's because I do not buy a lot of watches, one per year or less, and none of them are split second-tourbillon-minute repeaters, so no need to mortgage the house.

Recently she has become more interested in the mehcanical watches, as she wore my Rolex for a while, as well as my first TZ project watch.
Old 20 September 2006, 02:40 AM   #21
Atomic

Al, get her the Tudor mini Sub advertised below.
Old 20 September 2006, 03:29 AM   #22
madformac
"TRF" Member

Well Amanda, I'm not married so the hardest part of getting the Rolex (persuading the partner) is something I didn't have to do. If I had the joys of marriage and the bills that go with it I would find it very hard to buy my little toys.

If you can get the deposit together then finance the rest on interest free then that is a good way. The money you would put aside each month would instead become the money you paid out each month on your credit agreement.

I purchased my last Rolex on my Visa card (I get it insured for 12 months against theft if I use it) but if you are going to do this you must be able to replace the funds on the card reasonably quickly or you will be paying interest until you are JJ's age!

If you want it bad enough there is always a way. haha..
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 04:27 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Amanda,

Excellent post, Doc. Amanda, you might want to take heed of this one. Some very good advice there!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 20 September 2006, 04:29 AM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
...or you will be paying interest until you are JJ's age!
No one, but no one reaches YODA's age!!

Old 20 September 2006, 04:42 AM   #25
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
It took me two years of saving and scraping and putting aside overtime pay. (For a 16610). I see it this way: a $4500 Rolex and $3200 worth of flight jackets is a hell of a lot of money for, what basically are, just a couple of toys for me. That’s one of the reasons my Anne is also my best friend (in these matters, I hasten to say), she was so happy for me when I got the watch.

Now I’m halfway for a new watch. The Rolex fund was eroded by the fact we needed a new washing machine and for my daughter’s new school. But before you know it and with some luck I’ll walk into my AD again in about a year and I’ll get that grin on my face again.

This may sound a little ‘house fatherish’ but that’s just what I am. I remember the shock among colleagues when they heard I bought a Rolex. Most people absolutely could not fathom that a simple IT guy would plunk down that insane amount of hard earned money for a mere watch! Not even my managing director (we are a $200 million plus branch) wears a watch in that price range. But he always wears bespoke suits and shirts.
Old 20 September 2006, 08:07 AM   #26
jaycee
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I gave up smoking! After 18 months of saving the money I'd otherwise have spent on cigarettes I had enough for a GMT.

I'm divorced so I can spend my money how I please, which helps, but it was a bit of let down when my daughter said she preferred my Casio G-Shock
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 08:20 AM   #27
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I gave up smoking! After 18 months of saving the money I'd otherwise have spent on cigarettes I had enough for a GMT.

I'm divorced so I can spend my money how I please, which helps, but it was a bit of let down when my daughter said she preferred my Casio G-Shock
Congrats on quitting, but ouch on the G-Shock comment!
Old 20 September 2006, 08:59 AM   #28
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
No one, but no one reaches YODA's age!!
Very true my friend...

madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 09:12 AM   #29
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
This is a really interesting thread, thanks to everyone who's contributed their valuable advice. Amanda, I think that if you truly want something, you can wait for it. It might be a while, but when the time comes and you walk out of an AD with your new GMT, it will feel that much sweeter!
I've also bought watches used, and got a great deal on them, but if you want a new one, I wouldn't get the nearest, cheapest used one you see. Even if it means you get it quicker, you may not feel 'complete'...if you get what I mean...
When it comes to finances, I'm not married, don't have any debts (apart from very, very small investment loans), but I still think twice about spending large amounts of money on material things. I finished uni less than 18 months ago, so while I'm happy to enjoy what money I have I still know the value of putting a dollar away. That's why I'm happy with my Omegas.... (for moment, until that 111 deal comes along...!)
Best of luck!
Old 20 September 2006, 11:25 AM   #30
amanda
Banned

As Otis said, this has turned into a brilliant thread, I'd like to personally thank everyone thats provided their honest opinions and experiences.

Whilst where being honest....... As you all know very well there's always 2 sides to a story, my partner gets annoyed at my spending habits and occasional financial irresponsibility! So I'll work on that and maybe it wont be such an issue once I do get one!

So do I sell the Mini-Sub now and be halfway to my goal and go watchless? Or reach the goal and then sell it off, even if that means the watch is a bit rougher with marks on it from desk diving etc and I dont get as much for it? What would you do?