The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 November 2023, 09:04 AM   #1
T-Whiskey
"TRF" Member

Average Spend For a Pepsi??

Hey everyone,

Just curious to know what those who have gotten a call for a 126710BLRO have also purchased from an authorized dealer. So far I have waited about 2 years and have purchased:

1. IWC Mark XVIII

2. Diamond Earrings for my Fiance

3. OP28 for Fiance

4. Tennis bracelet for Fiance.

All of this totaling around $20k. I would say (and hope they would too ) that I have a very friendly relationship with them. Am I in the strike zone or just too far off these days? I've also heard about the rumored Pepsi production issues, so that could also been an issue.
T-Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:13 AM   #2
miama
"TRF" Member

Watch: CASIO A168W
In general, you have a good enough spend for a Pepsi which is no daytona. If the production rumors are true tho doesn't really matter how good your spend is because they'll give the watch to their biggest spenders/friends and family... Keep in mind they're just rumors which are usually bull crap!
miama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:14 AM   #3
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Work on the relationship, not the spend. I generally get what I want from my AD because when I go in there we spend an hr or more just shooting the sh1t. We both love watches and can talk about models, details, trends all day long. Yeah I’ve bought a bit but that’s not why he hooks me up. Work on the relationship (and no that doesn’t mean bottles of scotch).

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:16 AM   #4
khalifam
"TRF" Member

The thing is with this "rumour" the A.D will use that to play off other customers i.e. someone who has spent 40k will have more of a chance getting that pepsi over you, similarly someone who has spent 60k will have more of a chance getting it over the latter etc etc. AD's will use this as a way of selling onto the "elite" > if there is a rumour of the pepsi discontinuing AD's will only want to sell it to those who have spent super ££££££££££'s

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:16 AM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

probably need double that
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:18 AM   #6
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

You could have gotten a Pepsi from the grey market with that spend.
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:25 AM   #7
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Average Spend For a Pepsi??

Even in a large market this is plenty for a Pepsi if they like you. Pop in and chat once in a while ?

My spend was:

Submariner
OP31
OP41 turquoise
Pepsi
OP31 turquoise
Sub Date
Gold blue sub
Meteorite Daytona
LV Sub
Black Daytona

SA quit... don't care anymore. Bought a 124060 grey last night. 🥲
Old 8 November 2023, 09:25 AM   #8
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
For some reason, until I saw your post just now, I always thought that the people who write endlessly that, "I only buy from the AD," were implying, "I don't pay more than the price of the watch, like those fools who buy from the second-hand market."

But now when I see, "I only buy from the AD," I'll read, "I pay more (in other purchases) and wait longer than people who buy from the second-hand market."
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:31 AM   #9
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Your fiancé has made out well.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:35 AM   #10
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Work on the relationship, not the spend. I generally get what I want from my AD because when I go in there we spend an hr or more just shooting the sh1t. We both love watches and can talk about models, details, trends all day long. Yeah I’ve bought a bit but that’s not why he hooks me up. Work on the relationship (and no that doesn’t mean bottles of scotch).

Sent using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think that is crap. No SA is going to waste an hour shooting the breeze with you knowing you are not buying anything from him b/c he has nothing to sell. You aren't/can't be the only one that goes in there and wants to "buddy up" to the SA. You know how many people goes in there w the same mindset? The SA is going to spend an hour talking to everyone of them? Let's be serious. You know what they say, money talks and well....
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:37 AM   #11
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
His fiancée got earrings, a bracelet, and a Rolex. Plus, he got an IWC. He'll do well if he gets a Pepsi at retail versus paying the gray market price from 2 years ago.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:38 AM   #12
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
My spend when I got one was about $270 in 2019.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:39 AM   #13
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

One word: gaslighting.
Good luck
Old 8 November 2023, 09:41 AM   #14
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
Yeah, I think that is crap. No SA is going to waste an hour shooting the breeze with you knowing you are not buying anything from him b/c he has nothing to sell. You aren't/can't be the only one that goes in there and wants to "buddy up" to the SA. You know how many people goes in there w the same mindset? The SA is going to spend an hour talking to everyone of them? Let's be serious. You know what they say, money talks and well....

I’m in agreement here. The SA are also really busy people themselves.

Separate question, but when an SA considers spend do they factor in prior Rolex purchases? I would think those dollars count less than jewelry or harder to sell watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:44 AM   #15
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

It's always best to bundle rather than purchase things and wait for the call. For example: “Hi John, I want to add a Pepsi to my collection. I'm open to purchasing a diamond earring, a bracelet, and an IWC as well. Please let me know when you can have all of this ready for me, including the Pepsi, and we'll go from there. Thanks.”
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 09:47 AM   #16
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
Unfortunately, you need to spend a lot more. And that’s to be ‘considered’ - unless you’re exceptionally lucky.

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:01 AM   #17
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Or you can just pay an $8K premium to a grey dealer and FedEx will drop your new BLRO off at your front door tomorrow morning. I cannot for the life of me understand why people are willing to spend YEARS wooing an AD for the chance that one day they will be offered the watch they really want...
Old 8 November 2023, 10:03 AM   #18
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

FWIW, I know a guy that got a Pepsi in less than 6 mos with zero spend prior.

All depends on the AD and as mentioned above - do they like you enough.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:06 AM   #19
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I always assumed they will sell you a lower tier Rolex before you work your way up. Like okay so u bought an OP28, so we'll offer you a two tone model they can't sell. Then you buy some jewlery then they'll offer a SS sub. Then more jewlery then a GMT that isn't a Pepsi. Then more jewlery. Then maybe a Pepsi.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:06 AM   #20
daysky1
"TRF" Member

For each one the time for any Rolex is different. I have heard of someone going in just to visit and talk watches and walking out with a Pepsi. Now I know that doesn't usually happen but for me I have made friends with my local AD, (the owner and his family), starting with the manager and all we talked about was our interests. Other than watches and of course we did discuss our love for high horology, ie the best of the best mechanical watches. Eventually over the years they grew to trust me and sold me a number of Rolex's. I am very happy for the savings of purchasing at retail pricing and I let them know. I still buy some Grey Market, because they can't sell me everything I want. Some like the blue dial Sky dweller they have never had come in. At least at the time I bought mine they hadn't even seen one. All in all I know they keep me in mind and I keep in touch. They have and will offer me watches as they can. And I am thankful for each one offered. But to put a timing on which watches I will be offered, I don't think they even know which watches they will be sent from Rolex until they get them. I do think they might have a notice in advance of what they are getting. Then they have to decide who they will sell them to. And as I understand it the selling is at the discretion of the AD. Per Rolex's agreement with them. It is an interesting sales model.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:07 AM   #21
T-Whiskey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
His fiancée got earrings, a bracelet, and a Rolex. Plus, he got an IWC. He'll do well if he gets a Pepsi at retail versus paying the gray market price from 2 years ago.
This is a great way to get the ladies down with the watch addiction/sickness lol!
T-Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:10 AM   #22
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
It's always best to bundle rather than purchase things and wait for the call. For example: “Hi John, I want to add a Pepsi to my collection. I'm open to purchasing a diamond earring, a bracelet, and an IWC as well. Please let me know when you can have all of this ready for me, including the Pepsi, and we'll go from there. Thanks.”
I like this. Wonder if it'll work for a Panda if I'm willing to buy a JLC from them. I wonder what's more profitable for them, a watch whose market value is thousands below retail or a shiny rock (diamond) that "appraise for double".
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:13 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you want one, just pick one up off the used market. There seems to be no question the deliveries are slow on this model at the moment and that may continue for a while with the watch even being discontinued in steel. All of which means used prices should start to rise and prospects at ADs stay slim.

I would move now to make the used market purchase and just spend less on other stuff at the AD to cover the added cost of the BLNR. Sorry Mr. AD but thems the breaks.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 10:17 AM   #24
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
Seriously , I’ve never read such nonsense. You guys… it’s just a watch. Why be blackmailed over it?
Old 8 November 2023, 10:46 AM   #25
rohada
"TRF" Member

I spent nothing to get my Pepsi after a year long wait. Still have not spent any additional money to get the next watch on my list. The AD explained to me about two years ago how they do what they do and as far as I can tell, they have honored what they told me. At least it has been the case for me. Maybe it has been different for others with this same AD. I can't speak to that. I do drop in every handful of months to catch up, but that's about it. I enjoy working with my SA, she is a joy. I'm friends with another guy who has been doing what I've been doing with this AD, and it's working out for him, too. My guess is there are a lot of variables, and they seemingly differ across the world. YMMV and good luck to you.
Old 8 November 2023, 11:04 AM   #26
rover26c
2024 Pledge Member

I got my BLRO after 41 days after registering interest in June 2023. First purchase with a new Rolex boutique. Perhaps I got lucky.
rover26c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 11:26 AM   #27
SVH
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
I've heard of the $ for $ "co-spend" phenomenon at several ADs (e.g. buy $15k in dead stock to get a $10k-$15k Rolex). If it's true I couldn't compete with the regular customers.

Earlier this year at an AD I picked up a serviced watch. A 50-ish fellow came in wearing jeans and a t-shirt. He said hi to a SA by name, she greeted him with a "Hi Mr. X, is it her birthday already?" She showed him a couple of necklaces and bracelets, he spent over $20k and left the store before they could retrieve and wrap up my service transaction.
SVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 11:30 AM   #28
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Bought a 16710BLRO in 2007 for $4.5k and no other purchase history. However, did stop in a dozen times or so between summer of 2017 and early 2018 to decide on my next watch. Made a relationship with a SA who reminded me of my Uncle and met the AD owner a few times. The day after 126710BLRO was released I stopped in to express my interest and was approved on the spot. Received the 2nd 126710BLRO that my AD was allocated in fall of 2018. Relationships are more important than spend history.
Old 8 November 2023, 11:51 AM   #29
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post

Works for me, but there are some other caveats. The gent I deal with is the manager and the shop is not a large chain so that helps. If you live in NYC, the same won’t work for you most likely.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2023, 12:30 PM   #30
Jasb
"TRF" Member

Saw one today for $15.5 new on the grey…cheap for what they have been.
Jasb is offline   Reply With Quote