The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 12 June 2023, 05:53 PM   #1
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Less GS releases…

Is it just me, or has GS finally decided to stop releasing new watches every other week? If indeed the case, I feel like this is the right thing to do
Old 12 June 2023, 06:07 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Did they run out of serial numbers?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 10:59 PM   #3
pandrew6l

Or new ideas for Limited Editions !
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2023, 12:07 AM   #4
Cru Jones

Personally, I like discovering new models every couple of days, LOL. Keeps things interesting, but then again, I'm not in the market for another GS at this time, so I'm not the best person to ask.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2023, 01:01 AM   #5
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Did they run out of serial numbers?
Old 13 June 2023, 05:49 PM   #6
rolehex

They for sure have slowed down on the new models. Think they are focusing on opening boutiques.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2023, 09:03 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have noticed this also. Don't know if it is a good thing or not.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2023, 03:12 AM   #8
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Ran out of nature locations to be inspired by I supposed.

Or they are working for Suntory now. Bought a bottle of Yamazaki the other day and it is its 100 year anniversary. It came with a card inside with suspiciously Grand Seikoesque statement about it and nature and all.

Honestly do feel it’s the right thing to slow down a bit though.
Old 14 June 2023, 03:27 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Maybe it's time to move on from natural locations to supernatural locations. They may find inspiration in dragons, centaurs, mermaids, unicorns, or possibly satan?
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2023, 05:12 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post

Or they are working for Suntory now. Bought a bottle of Yamazaki the other day and it is its 100 year anniversary. It came with a card inside with suspiciously Grand Seikoesque statement about it and nature and all.

Honestly do feel it’s the right thing to slow down a bit though.

Maybe they wanted to pause on the price increases for a little bit to numb us all to them. Interesting how the secondaries don’t seem to follow in lock step
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2023, 08:47 AM   #11
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Maybe they wanted to pause on the price increases for a little bit to numb us all to them. Interesting how the secondaries don’t seem to follow in lock step
Fat chance. They will follow what everyone else seems to be doing until the entire market collapses for lack of finding anyone who will take their 10th Rolex GMT or GS White Birch variant.

That being said, if GS has learned a lesson and is taking a break from LE as we have hoped they would do, then I hope they are listening and "fixing" their mostly blah and sometimes awful bracelets.

Cmon GS.....can't you take a hint. Are you really that oblivious to the fact that almost no one loves your bracelets?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2023, 10:05 AM   #12
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Hopefully, they're spending the time on a micro adjustable bracelet... Cmon already.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2023, 09:23 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Hopefully, they're spending the time on a micro adjustable bracelet... Cmon already.

We can only hope.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2023, 01:18 AM   #14
pandrew6l

If Christopher Ward in the UK can come up with a bracelet , which in my opinion is close to Rolex for a $1,200 watch , so can GS !
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2023, 05:16 AM   #15
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post

Cmon GS.....can't you take a hint. Are you really that oblivious to the fact that almost no one loves your bracelets?
This is what kept me from buying the SBGA413, as lovely as a watch it is. I went with my OP instead.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2023, 05:20 AM   #16
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
This is what kept me from buying the SBGA413, as lovely as a watch it is. I went with my OP instead.

Agreed. They need to work in the bracelets. Additionally need to taper a bit more for some elegance imo
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 12:27 AM   #17
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
Quote:
I've ordered an Astron SSH 107 that I expect to arrive early next week. From watching a few YouTube videos during my research, the clasp offers on-the-fly micro adjustment (by holding down the two buttons on the clasp) as well as a decent taper on the bracelet. The watch and bracelet are titanium.

If Seiko is doing this on the Astron models, why not on the Grand Seikos?

I have a GS GMT quartz, and was lucky to get a good fit by removing a few links. However, I still wish some micro adjustment was offered.

Edited to add: I also believe the Astrons are built in the same studio as the 9F quartz and Spring Drive models.
BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 12:47 AM   #18
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG75 View Post
I've ordered an Astron SSH 107 that I expect to arrive early next week. From watching a few YouTube videos during my research, the clasp offers on-the-fly micro adjustment (by holding down the two buttons on the clasp) as well as a decent taper on the bracelet. The watch and bracelet are titanium.

If Seiko is doing this on the Astron models, why not on the Grand Seikos?

I have a GS GMT quartz, and was lucky to get a good fit by removing a few links. However, I still wish some micro adjustment was offered.

Edited to add: I also believe the Astrons are built in the same studio as the 9F quartz and Spring Drive models.
That is astounding! I can't imagine the reasoning in not releasing this adjustable bracelet across the seiko/GS lines.

Old 16 June 2023, 03:27 AM   #19
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is astounding! I can't imagine the reasoning in not releasing this adjustable bracelet across the seiko/GS lines.
I'll report back when I receive the watch.
Old 18 June 2023, 01:00 AM   #20
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Hopefully working on refining case shape and bracelet design.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 07:05 PM   #21
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

It’s the bulk that does it for me with modern GS. They use all the design tropes from their 60s and 70s watches, but just scaled up until they’re ponderous and bulbous, and stripped of all they balance. And they’re always too thick.

Take the entire range, shrink in all dimensions, add a great bracelet, and your collection is immediately among the best in the industry.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 07:52 PM   #22
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
It’s the bulk that does it for me with modern GS. They use all the design tropes from their 60s and 70s watches, but just scaled up until they’re ponderous and bulbous, and stripped of all they balance. And they’re always too thick.

Take the entire range, shrink in all dimensions, add a great bracelet, and your collection is immediately among the best in the industry.

Agreed, a lot of their watches are simply too thick / chunky at 14mm. A bit if adjustment to that and the bracelet and GS becomes much more compelling IMO.

Wonder if this is feedback they have received and are considering on making
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 04:08 AM   #23
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So the Astron arrived today and the bracelet does indeed have an adjustable clasp. You push in the buttons on the clasp and the bracelet will adjust out to one extra link. The bracelet also has a very nice taper from the head of the watch to the clasp. The watch and bracelet are titanium and [I]very[I] light! With that being said, the GS bracelet is slightly more refined with beveled edges on the links.

The Astron box also came with the same white sleeve in Japanese and English that come with Grand Seikos.

Bottom line, if Seiko can make an adjustable clasp for their upper-end watches, why can’t GS do the same? I think that would be a game changer for them.
Old 20 June 2023, 04:43 AM   #24
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG75 View Post
So the Astron arrived today and the bracelet does indeed have an adjustable clasp. You push in the buttons on the clasp and the bracelet will adjust out to one extra link. The bracelet also has a very nice taper from the head of the watch to the clasp. The watch and bracelet are titanium and [I]very[I] light! With that being said, the GS bracelet is slightly more refined with beveled edges on the links.

The Astron box also came with the same white sleeve in Japanese and English that come with Grand Seikos.

Bottom line, if Seiko can make an adjustable clasp for their upper-end watches, why can’t GS do the same? I think that would be a game changer for them.
I appreciate the follow up. Firstly, enjoy your new watch ! Secondly... I'm sure we all hope GS comes to their senses and adapts their bracelets with the adjustable clasp.

Old 20 June 2023, 12:56 PM   #25
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

If they slow down, we’ll all complain about how they aren’t available, lol.
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:31 AM   #26
michaelmclees
"TRF" Member

Yeah they really need to make their collection a little more cohesive. They seem to have more models than some models have actual watches in production.

It's a little absurd at this point and the variations are usually superficial.

"This dial will blow your mind with the sacred texture that now run.... vertically, and not horizontally... It was inspired by the ropes which hold up the scaffold used by the window washers at the factory...."
michaelmclees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 08:04 AM   #27
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmclees View Post
Yeah they really need to make their collection a little more cohesive. They seem to have more models than some models have actual watches in production.

It's a little absurd at this point and the variations are usually superficial.

"This dial will blow your mind with the sacred texture that now run.... vertically, and not horizontally... It was inspired by the ropes which hold up the scaffold used by the window washers at the factory...."
Old 4 July 2023, 01:22 PM   #28
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Is it just me, or has GS finally decided to stop releasing new watches every other week? If indeed the case, I feel like this is the right thing to do
Thanks to the great work done by Anthony Kable over at Plus9Time, we know the answer to your question -

No.

Grand Seiko released the same number of references in the first half of 2023 as they did in the first half of 2022.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 05:42 PM   #29
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseikoguy View Post
Thanks to the great work done by Anthony Kable over at Plus9Time, we know the answer to your question -

No.

Grand Seiko released the same number of references in the first half of 2023 as they did in the first half of 2022.
Great find, thanks for sharing
Old 18 July 2023, 07:06 AM   #30
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have noticed this also. Don't know if it is a good thing or not.
Same here
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote