The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 October 2020, 05:12 AM   #121
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I like his videos, although in some his voice gets raspy annoying. But enjoy his points of views and the mini virtual tours are pretty awesome. I watched his latest on moving to Venice which was over forty something minutes long. Not a lot of watch content on the rose gold YM but enjoyed the scenery and reminded me of my visit.

This thread isn't really about Tim Mosso(hate his voice tbh) as much as the repeated horse beating regarding a non issue. It's just a new watch for which regardless of why it will have pros and cons, but no matter what, one fact remains and that is that Rolex feel it's "better".
How, why? Well because it's their new design choice, all these polarizing descriptors like, elegant, tapered or that something was a mistake just serve to divide the community by what seems to be basically trolling at this point. The easiest way to look at it is that it's an evolution and a step in making the Submariner more proportioned in it's visual design.

This step has no bearing on the previous in a negative way, I don't understand why two or three guys around here are creating such a stir by pushing this "MISTAKE CORRECTED" narrative. This hasn't happened with any other release before.
The only time I saw anything even close to this was when Rolex discoed the SD 16600 and made a jump straight to the 44mm Deepsea. That was a bit of a shock, but definitely didn't hear such repeated trivial poking around.
It's bizarre to me, I honestly don't think Rolex makes an ugly/mistake watch, not over the lat twenty years at least(excluding some of the gem set references).
The brand offers something for everyone, this one versus the other rhetoric is really reminding me of siting around in HS bickering with friends on which Transformer or GI Joe character is "better".
Very well said brother

I don’t put a lot of weight into these videos reviews per se, but I always find Tim to be very well informed and knowledgeable. Of course he’s selling watches ... duh I think if folks look back at his reviews of the previous gen and even some of the 5 digit references, he seems to have equally good things to say about them (they’re for sale too afterall)

You’re right though, this isn’t about TM or TTWC or any of these reviewers really ... it’s about the watches and evolution in design. Some will like it, some won’t.

Glad you enjoy the TTWC. I think he’s got an interesting approach
Old 27 October 2020, 05:17 AM   #122
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Very well said brother

I don’t put a lot of weight into these videos reviews per se, but I always find Tim to be very well informed and knowledgeable. Of course he’s selling watches ... duh I think if folks look back at his reviews of the previous gen and even some of the 5 digit references, he seems to have equally good things to say about them (they’re for sale too afterall)

You’re right though, this isn’t about TM or TTWC or any of these reviewers really ... it’s about the watches and evolution in design. Some will like it, some won’t.

Glad you enjoy the TTWC. I think he’s got an interesting approach
The best solution would be to get both, oh wait....
Wear in health.
Old 27 October 2020, 05:18 AM   #123
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wear in health.
I will
Old 27 October 2020, 05:55 AM   #124
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wear in health.
^^^^^ this
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 27 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #125
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Isn‘t Tim Mosso by profession automatically obliged to find new stuff that they can sell for a premium - better?

I would not care too much about what he says and from his videos, he does seldom point out negatives at all. It‘s all about the sales pitch
Agree, the videos are informative and good with stats, but it's a sales pitch.

I watch them to learn about facts; measurements and the like:
Old 27 October 2020, 06:02 AM   #126
jj312
"TRF" Member

Sorry, it won't let me quote a previous post, but to the guy who said, "I don't understand why two or three guys around here are creating such a stir by pushing this 'MISTAKE CORRECTED' narrative. This hasn't happened with any other release before...I honestly don't think Rolex makes an ugly/mistake watch, not over the last twenty years at least"

Uhh... the Explorer I 39mm short hands hideousness would like a word with you.
Old 27 October 2020, 06:11 AM   #127
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

who cares what others think? wear what you want and be happy with your choice..
Old 27 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #128
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj312 View Post
Sorry, it won't let me quote a previous post, but to the guy who said, "I don't understand why two or three guys around here are creating such a stir by pushing this 'MISTAKE CORRECTED' narrative. This hasn't happened with any other release before...I honestly don't think Rolex makes an ugly/mistake watch, not over the last twenty years at least"

Guess I should clarify, not saying there haven’t been criticism in the past but even with Explorer, there wasn’t constant threads daily or even numerous media streams crying afoul. There have been many divisive designs in the Rolex catalog but none have been poked at in the way I see today, bordering on insult to over a decade of Submariner owners.
If you think it is the same, then I’ll just cut to the chase, I disagree, that should be okay.
Old 27 October 2020, 06:25 AM   #129
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater3000 View Post
who cares what others think?
We are members of a discussion forum where 90% of the posts are showing off recent purchases, asking other members to help evaluate/decide something, or discussing/debating our opinions and hypothetical scenarios. And the products/fandom at issue are luxury watches primarily marketed to the rich and/or successful or those attempting to signal they are rich and/or successful.

Who cares about what others think?? Hmmm....
Old 27 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #130
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
Agree.

I don't get it, if I don't like a topic of here....I don't click on it and surely don't waste my time responding.

Tim is a walking encyclopedia, ya does he sell watches. Sure. But you can't deny his knowledge of horology.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
+1. Really respect Tim and his total knowledge.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Old 27 October 2020, 06:35 AM   #131
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Tim Mosso does an excellent job giving comprehensive reviews of almost every watch in existence. The guy uploads like three videos a day every day. If there's any watch in almost any configuration or dial color, he has probably covered it. You've got to respect that.

I've never seen him as a reviewer in terms of pros and cons to specific pieces, but moreso to give a comprehensive look at the qualities that are present and nothing more. At the end of the day, he works for Govberg in Philadelphia and their used watch collection Watchbox. I've never had anything but excellent interactions with them both as an AD and used watch dealer. What Tim does really well is tell you how a piece is different from its predecessors and what might be new about a piece in the context of evolution of a particular model.
Old 27 October 2020, 06:40 AM   #132
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswanenguni View Post
who ??

I make my own decisions.
+1
Old 27 October 2020, 06:49 AM   #133
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
We are members of a discussion forum where 90% of the posts are showing off recent purchases, asking other members to help evaluate/decide something, or discussing/debating our opinions and hypothetical scenarios. And the products/fandom at issue are luxury watches primarily marketed to the rich and/or successful or those attempting to signal they are rich and/or successful.

Who cares about what others think?? Hmmm....
And Tim's reviews can't be trusted because...get this...he sells:

WATCHES!!!

::gasps in horror::
Old 27 October 2020, 06:54 AM   #134
TTalk
Banned

Tim Mosso in his 10/24 video:
Quote:
Of the 114060, "lovely and evocative heir to the Submariners worn by amongst others Connery as James Bond"... "The watch is fairly slim at only 12.7mm thick."
Which would make the Supercase Sub shallower in overall depth than the "12.8mm" he measured for the 126610 as stated in his 10/25 video from the OP.

Then this, which reminded me this is a for sale ad and not a review:
Quote:
"Suitable for everyday use. Despite the larger case it really hasn't changed its size. Email tmosso@thewatchbox,com for purchase and pricing details."
And this, which I thought was a pretty smooth line that hints at where this 126610 was sourced:
Quote:
"You will be the first to truly break-in this watch. It will be your privilege, not as the first owner but perhaps the first user."
Then he added this while holding the two Subs side-by-side, which is curious to me because the hands are obviously longer and the text/font is different:
Quote:
"It is very difficult to discern any meaningful changes in the dial design [from the 114060 to the 126610]. Like I said, between 'Swiss' and 'Made' there's a little crown down at six o'clock... but it is almost impossible and I would go so far as to say fruitless to try to define whether the hands, the indices, or even the text have changed."

Based on reviews, I don't believe the 126610 is thicker overall than 114060 as Mosso stated. I'm very familiar with Musso's voice, as too many times in the past looking for a watch review on YT I land on a for sale advertisement labeled/titled as a 'review' from his company. Like the two above.

I'm still waiting for a review that mentions and measures the differences in the clasps, which I've read are longer and obviously wider and possibly thicker/deeper.
Old 27 October 2020, 07:59 AM   #135
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
Tim Mosso in his 10/24 video:

Which would make the Supercase Sub shallower in overall depth than the "12.8mm" he measured for the 126610 as stated in his 10/25 video from the OP.

Then this, which reminded me this is a for sale ad and not a review:

And this, which I thought was a pretty smooth line that hints at where this 126610 was sourced:

Then he added this while holding the two Subs side-by-side, which is curious to me because the hands are obviously longer and the text/font is different:

Based on reviews, I don't believe the 126610 is thicker overall than 114060 as Mosso stated. I'm very familiar with Musso's voice, as too many times in the past looking for a watch review on YT I land on a for sale advertisement labeled/titled as a 'review' from his company. Like the two above.

I'm still waiting for a review that mentions and measures the differences in the clasps, which I've read are longer and obviously wider and possibly thicker/deeper.
The lugs are actually a bit wider, but the wider bracelet and clasp makes the lugs seem less wide and more proportion. I had the 114060 and now the 124060 and 12 bluesy. They feel like different watches to me, but not in a negative way to either. The 11 felt more sporty, more of a tool watch and the new one feels closer to how my datejust 41 wears. It really is crazy to me that even though the 12s are a bit bigger, to the eye they look smaller. So based on that, I think Tim’s analysis is pretty accurate.
Old 27 October 2020, 08:10 AM   #136
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
I enjoy Tim very much. Extremely knowledgeable and I have learnt things about my watches I otherwise would not have taken the time to compare and or, look up.
Old 27 October 2020, 08:31 AM   #137
onlyonerolly
"TRF" Member

Tim Mosso is a demigod.
Old 27 October 2020, 02:06 PM   #138
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Tim Mosso does an excellent job giving comprehensive reviews of almost every watch in existence. The guy uploads like three videos a day every day. If there's any watch in almost any configuration or dial color, he has probably covered it. You've got to respect that.

I've never seen him as a reviewer in terms of pros and cons to specific pieces, but moreso to give a comprehensive look at the qualities that are present and nothing more. At the end of the day, he works for Govberg in Philadelphia and their used watch collection Watchbox. I've never had anything but excellent interactions with them both as an AD and used watch dealer. What Tim does really well is tell you how a piece is different from its predecessors and what might be new about a piece in the context of evolution of a particular model.
This is 100% accurate. I'm in no way saying that he's THE watch opinion, or that his opinion matters for anything in your decision-making process, but he'll give you a well researched and knowledgeable description of literally almost any watch out there. Total cheese for his schtick with glasses, lack of appropriate attire at times, but that's not why you're watching his videos. He's got a very unique taste in watches, which runs the gamut of entry level mechanical tool watches to super high horology pieces, and he's owned a little bit of everything at times, so he's spent time with a lot of the brands he speaks about. Moreover, he plainly tells you that he's got interesting taste, and will just as plainly tell you why HE doesn't care for something, while at the same time giving as good a review on it as he would a watch worth 4x that he does like, though he's likely more passionate about the ones he prefers. I have heard him pointedly say "I would not buy this brand/watch at this time, and because we are a dealer for them/are selling this watch that is hurting my business" when he thinks there is a better way/better deal to be had, so I just don't buy that he's a pusher driven by the bottom line.

If you are watching any of the you tube videos on watches for anything more than information gathering, and/or don't know how to differentiate editorial from factual content, the problem is likely on the other end of the computer screen than you're pointing the finger.
Old 27 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #139
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPWRPATX21 View Post
I'm in no way saying that he's THE watch opinion, or that his opinion matters for anything in your decision-making process, but he'll give you a well researched and knowledgeable description of literally almost any watch out there.
Agreed, he gives wonderful info and his videos are clear, generally precise, and informative.

IN GENERAL....
The whole 'make-believe debate' about the new Sub case seems like Vloggers are reaching during a slow news cycle. Hey, it did get Tim a thread here on TRF, and as they say there's no such thing as bad PR. Again, i do enjoy watching his videos. i don't give a rats arse about the make-believe new Sub lug width debate.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 28 October 2020, 02:54 AM   #140
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj312 View Post

Yet you'll find no shortage of people defending the short hands, non-lumed numerals Explorer...

...the vast majority of them being those who bought it.

And besides that, everybody knows Tunnel Rat was the best GI Joe.
Old 28 October 2020, 09:56 AM   #141
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Not really surprised at the reactions..

Overall the TRF membership has little regard or use for Youtube content makers in the wristwatch space.
I must fall into your minority, I think Tim Mosso and many other Youtubers add a lot to the community/wristwatch space. Tim especially has an amazing knowledge and passion which has entertained, influenced, informed and challenged my thinking about watches.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:49 AM   #142
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonerolly View Post
Tim Mosso is a demigod.
Tim? Is that you?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 28 October 2020, 10:53 AM   #143
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiexplorer View Post
I must fall into your minority, I think Tim Mosso and many other Youtubers add a lot to the community/wristwatch space. Tim especially has an amazing knowledge and passion which has entertained, influenced, informed and challenged my thinking about watches.

Tim Mosso cost me 30 grand.

His constant adoration and praise for A Lange & Sohne helped wear me down.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:56 AM   #144
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Tim Mosso cost me 30 grand.

His constant adoration and praise for A Lange & Sohne helped wear me down.

It’s cost me too!
Old 28 October 2020, 11:11 AM   #145
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

OP is a tool. Typical gas lighter.
Old 28 October 2020, 11:14 AM   #146
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
The lugs are actually a bit wider, but the wider bracelet and clasp makes the lugs seem less wide and more proportion. I had the 114060 and now the 124060 and 12 bluesy. They feel like different watches to me, but not in a negative way to either. The 11 felt more sporty, more of a tool watch and the new one feels closer to how my datejust 41 wears. It really is crazy to me that even though the 12s are a bit bigger, to the eye they look smaller. So based on that, I think Tim’s analysis is pretty accurate.
This video does a pretty good job of listing the measurements from someone who knows how to use calipers

https://youtu.be/C6rJ0qfcgeg
Old 28 October 2020, 12:43 PM   #147
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Tried the new Sub on today and it definitely feels bigger and slightly bulky across the inner wrist at the clasp. I have a five digit and a six digit Sub and was planning on adding this one. My entire time with the watch on my wrist I could not shake the sensation of “damn, it’s too big.” Did not ask to be on the list for one...may reconsider but many watches out there. I’m sure Rolex will not be caring...
Closed Thread