The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 September 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
airhkg

Watch: Sub, SMP GMT Co-Ax
My $00.02 on ebay fakes

No offense guys but, it escapes my why folks dedicate so much of their time to root our fakes on flea bay. Maybe it is just for sport?

1: Rolex has billions and billions of dollars to police their own product / market. I'll bet even if you told them how many fakes you've spotted it still won't get you a discount.

2: Anyone that spends $$$$$ to purchase a product they have never physically viewed from unverified source deserves to be separated from their money.

Just my $00.02
airhkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
well i think the sellers deserve to be banned from ebay and i want to make sure they don't earn one penny from selling cheap fakes. if you don't care then don't write about it please - as there are plenty of others like myself that take much pleasure in weeding out these con men and scammers.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhkg View Post
No offense guys but, it escapes my why folks dedicate so much of their time to root our fakes on flea bay. Maybe it is just for sport?

1: Rolex has billions and billions of dollars to police their own product / market. I'll bet even if you told them how many fakes you've spotted it still won't get you a discount.

2: Anyone that spends $$$$$ to purchase a product they have never physically viewed from unverified source deserves to be separated from their money.

Just my $00.02
Because I believe we are our brother's keepers. Whether we like it or not, our purpose here is to take care of our fellow man. In every civilized culture we see evidence of humanitarian efforts.

Rotary says; "Service above self".

I believe most people just want a good deal and they sure don't want to be taken advantage of. We're talking about lot's of potential to lose thousands of dollars which, I can't afford to throw away that kind of money and, many others cannot afford it either. If I can make a little dent in helping my fellow person along the way in life then, that is my obligation. I politely disagree with your assessment that anybody deserves to get ripped off.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 02:55 AM   #4
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
sport
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 06:18 AM   #5
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Quote:

Just my $00.02
you know I just read your post fully-that is a rather scummy way to look at things I think-they deserve to be separated from their money??are you serious.
please -if you ever come to the states dont ask to come over to my house-you might think that anyone who leaves watches right out in the open deserves to be "separated" from them as well....
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
ntesta05

I made the mistake of buying a Rolex off of ebay back in early 2003, it had the papers with the original owners name and everything (seller was different from the original owner). I took it to a dealer to have him inspect it for any issues and he couldn't believe I bought it for in like new condition for thousands less than what it retails for. He told me if I ever sent it to Rolex to have it serviced and it came back as stolen, they would confiscate it. So I returned it to the seller. Later on, a few months afterwards, I just bit the bullet and stopped being cheap and bought the real deal at an authorized dealer.

I have a thing for ties as well, Canali and Zegna are my favorites. Bought a fake Canali not knowing any better, returned it to seller.

one thing you must understand about fakes on ebay is that they are a major funding source for criminal and terrorist organizations. If you work in national level law enforcement (e.g. FBI) doing counter-terrorism financing, you will agree with my assertion.
ntesta05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 12:12 AM   #7
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just my $00.02
To protect fellow members from being ripped by scammers!
Because not everyone have the knowledge and experience
of spotting fakes (there are good one out there).
Next time you better keep this kind of opinion to yourself Buddy
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 12:13 AM   #8
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Because I believe we are our brother's keepers. Whether we like it or not, our purpose here is to take care of our fellow man. In every civilized culture we see evidence of humanitarian efforts.

Rotary says; "Service above self".

I believe most people just want a good deal and they sure don't want to be taken advantage of. We're talking about lot's of potential to lose thousands of dollars which, I can't afford to throw away that kind of money and, many others cannot afford it either. If I can make a little dent in helping my fellow person along the way in life then, that is my obligation. I politely disagree with your assessment that anybody deserves to get ripped off.

Terry Newton
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 12:57 AM   #9
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:

Just my $00.02
I'll just rather say thank you and be on my way!
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 12:59 AM   #10
chopperboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Baby!!
Airhkg,

Well, I sorta barely agree with you, but here is how I look at it! This day and age, and the advancements in society, there is no reason the consumer is not educated. Any individual that is in the market to purchase anything should automatically educate himself or herself. Furthermore, to alleviate ANY question, the consumer that has not educated him or her is subject to being taken advantage of. PERIOD! That does not make it right, just because you are not an educated buyer.

If I was going to buy my first Rolex, or anything I knew nothing about, I would search, read, ask, inquiry, and just about do any other research possible before I made such a large purchase. And by doing that, I would ultimately discover the consequences of not buying a Rolex from an authorized dealer, or from reliably individual that I personally knew or was referred too!

Now for all the forum members that take the time to police eBay, I applauded them for doing so. I personally don’t have the time to do that, and honestly I would not take or make the time to do so. If someone wants to take the time, with all the good intentions to help others, I’m all for it! Any person that is practicing in false or improper sales, representation, of a fake, counterfeit, misleading, cloned Rolex watch should be disbanded from eBay, but it won’t be initiated by me!

With a computer in almost every household in the world, and readily accessible just about everywhere, there is no reason why any person is not self-educated before buying a Rolex watch.

And like almost everyone one has said at one time or another: “When in doubt buy from an authorized dealer” that way you are assured what you are buying, and all authorized dealers have the backing (financially) if there was to be a problem.

All of my Rolex watches were purchased at an authorized dealer, and for me, thats peace of mind, even though, I could of purchased them a little cheaper somewhere else!

Just my 2-cents worth………………….

Matt
Old 10 September 2008, 03:25 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
It's a public service. If you're only looking at it from a selfish point of view, you won't understand it.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 09:44 AM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperboy View Post
Airhkg,

Well, I sorta barely agree with you, but here is how I look at it! This day and age, and the advancements in society, there is no reason the consumer is not educated. Any individual that is in the market to purchase anything should automatically educate himself or herself. Furthermore, to alleviate ANY question, the consumer that has not educated him or her is subject to being taken advantage of. PERIOD! That does not make it right, just because you are not an educated buyer.

If I was going to buy my first Rolex, or anything I knew nothing about, I would search, read, ask, inquiry, and just about do any other research possible before I made such a large purchase. And by doing that, I would ultimately discover the consequences of not buying a Rolex from an authorized dealer, or from reliably individual that I personally knew or was referred too!

Now for all the forum members that take the time to police eBay, I applauded them for doing so. I personally don’t have the time to do that, and honestly I would not take or make the time to do so. If someone wants to take the time, with all the good intentions to help others, I’m all for it! Any person that is practicing in false or improper sales, representation, of a fake, counterfeit, misleading, cloned Rolex watch should be disbanded from eBay, but it won’t be initiated by me!

With a computer in almost every household in the world, and readily accessible just about everywhere, there is no reason why any person is not self-educated before buying a Rolex watch.

And like almost everyone one has said at one time or another: “When in doubt buy from an authorized dealer” that way you are assured what you are buying, and all authorized dealers have the backing (financially) if there was to be a problem.

All of my Rolex watches were purchased at an authorized dealer, and for me, thats peace of mind, even though, I could of purchased them a little cheaper somewhere else!

Just my 2-cents worth………………….

Matt
Chopperboy, I think many of us are surfing ebay when the fake items are found, and I don't believe anyone here feels they are policing ebay. Personally, I like the vintage pieces, and buy many vintage watches/parts and know there are many on this forum and elsewhere that are Rolex collectors and aren't even close to being knowledgable or an expert on these watches and parts. The books available dealing with vintage Rolex are far and few in between, and nothing can replace hands on experience in dealing with the older watches. You "ain't gonna learn this in any book or web page" but thru experience in dealing with these watches and with other collectors. It is not uncommon to have self-proclaimed, or genuine experts disagree on a particuliar assessment of a watch, part or booklet.

This can also be applied to the newer watches as well. The fakes and the counterfeiters are everywhere and too many buyers have been fooled by these watches. I think many of the posts in Watchout have helped educate forum members here, and probably saved some from fraudulent purchases. I've received several emails from members thanking me for viewing a particuliar listing on ebay before they made a purchase. Some of these items were fake or altered or not as described, some were genuine. I'm sure Steve, Terry, Orchi, Stan, Chris/Toph, Lol-X and several others have all received inquires about purchases before a forum member "pulled the trigger."

I appreciate what you are saying, but it really isn't that simple because "everyone loves a deal." It's just human nature.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 09:59 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
AIRHKG WROTE: Rolex has billions and billions of dollars to police their own product / market. I'll bet even if you told them how many fakes you've spotted it still won't get you a discount.

Rolex is in business to sell NEW watches, and really doesn't devote much time to the used/vintage market. There is no profit in it for them and really, isn't making a profit why they are in business?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2008, 09:53 PM   #14
fikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
It's a public service. If you're only looking at it from a selfish point of view, you won't understand it.
totally agree.
why not questioning why a 'public service' exist in this world.
fikko is offline   Reply With Quote