The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 September 2020, 01:25 PM   #31
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I loved my Seamaster 300 in that pretty blue on blue, too. What I didn't like was the $2,000 hit in the wallet on the way back to my car.

That said, I'm shopping for a white faced one now. But a used example for sure that has already taken "the haircut."

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:11 PM   #32
rodolfolascano
"TRF" Member

Honestly...if that blue dial had the famous crown on it, I would not be so sure about the superiority of my other two!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85ACDC65-A6DD-4B11-A565-7B3FFEB305E3.jpeg (140.3 KB, 632 views)
rodolfolascano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:24 PM   #33
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

New sub vs seamaster 300m

I purchased the gray dial SMP Diver 300 a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. The dial is great, blued hands look awesome, and I am one who likes the bracelet as it looks both sporty and dressy at the same time. Timekeeping has been decent at about +3 seconds per day. I like the see through case back as well. Purchased new for $3800 USD, so it’s great that you can get discounts on them new. If you are planning to wear it (like I am) then don’t worry about how it may depreciate.

Definitely want a sub or two (or three) in my future and really like the new Kermit. I also really love the look of the Hulk and the features, size, and aesthetics of the Sea-Dweller.

I think there is room in a collection for all of the watches I mentioned to co-exist. I’m not sure which ones are better than the others and I am sure I will enjoy each of them when the time comes. I’d also like to add a Planet Ocean chronograph and the new Oyster Perpetual 41mm models with green dial and silver dial have really piqued my interest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:30 PM   #34
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonisCy View Post
Not everyone buys a watch as an investment.

I agree fully, however, when the question is which watch is the better bang for the money, then it becomes more like an investment thing. When I decided to buy my first luxury watch with a certain budget in mind, the SA tried hard to convince me to take a Submariner Date over a Cartier Pasha I had my eyes on.
That was year 2000, I took the Cartier because I liked it, the SA was trying to tell me that the Sub was the better investment, I didn’t listen.
My Cartier today worth, I don’t know, maybe 2000! Any idea how much a year 2000 model, well maintained Rolex Submariner costs today? I would like to know but I’m pretty sure it’s way more than the Cartier.

Old 19 September 2020, 02:39 PM   #35
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Yeah agree but how many of us can actually get for retail? If i pay 3.5k for a SMP now and 14k for a sub I doubt I’ll
be better off going grey for a sub (Just devil’s advocate and meant to generate discussion not a barb)

As I said, if the question is about which is better or better looking then answers can vary and everyone is right since no one discusses tastes. I personally prefer Cartier over Omega design wise and once picked a Cartier over a Sub! “You can call me crazy, I know I am :-)”
Paying grey never crossed my mind, lucky me for having a nice AD who treats its new clients as VIP.
But even if one goes the grey route, I think Rolex Sub will always be the answer if the question is which watch is the best bang for the money.

Old 19 September 2020, 02:53 PM   #36
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
I agree fully, however, when the question is which watch is the better bang for the money, then it becomes more like an investment thing. When I decided to buy my first luxury watch with a certain budget in mind, the SA tried hard to convince me to take a Submariner Date over a Cartier Pasha I had my eyes on.
That was year 2000, I took the Cartier because I liked it, the SA was trying to tell me that the Sub was the better investment, I didn’t listen.
My Cartier today worth, I don’t know, maybe 2000! Any idea how much a year 2000 model, well maintained Rolex Submariner costs today? I would like to know but I’m pretty sure it’s way more than the Cartier.

But you bought Cartier because you liked it more, right?

With the hindsight, would you now trade pleasure for in investment? Would you now buy a watch that you like or an "investment " watch ?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 04:21 PM   #37
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

New sub vs seamaster 300m

I think the “best bang for the buck” argument is pretty interesting and, depending on how you look at it and what is important to you, both perspectives can equate to a sensible decision.

IMO:

If you are going to wear the watch and plan to keep it, it is hard to beat what you get (at MSRP, or less for that matter) with the Omega SMP Diver 300. It’s like two fifths the cost of the Submariner. You get your “bang for your buck” by getting to wear an excellent watch at a pretty great price.

If you are going to wear it or buy it and keep it as basically new and care about the watch as an investment, then the only real choice is the Submariner. You get your “bang for your buck” by immediately after purchase (as long as you buy it new at MSRP) having a watch that is more valuable than when you bought it and possibly much more so years down the road.

That’s the way I see it anyway. Two completely different paths, perspectives, and reasons for purchasing one of these watches over the other.

Or you could just want to buy both to wear and enjoy and not worry about depreciation, investments, future value, etc.!

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:10 PM   #38
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I prefer both the new and the old Submariner over the 300m. It’s not even close.

With that said, I am a fan of Omega and I do like the 300m a lot. I like it enough to maybe get one in the future to go along with my 114060.

Also, if money is an issue, then the 300m is a great option, no doubt. Plus, they’re easy to get and you could negotiate a nice discount too.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:22 PM   #39
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Omega seamaster is a great watch, but that green box making my smile wider
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:27 PM   #40
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I've worn Rolex watches for 35 years and currently have a six digit sub that I purchased in November of 2019 from my AD. I follow this forum and check out the for sale section every day so I've seen the accelerating prices on six digit subs. I'll admit, I've been thinking about selling mine and buying a new Seamaster. My wife is against it and says I'll just want another Submariner in a few months. She's probably right, but I'll admit, there is a worm in my brain that says walking around with 10 K on my wrist is kinda silly when I can get a beautiful, BNB Seamaster for 5k or less.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:41 PM   #41
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Omega owners enjoy their watches much more, on average - as 99% of them get worn and enjoyed daily as they’re not investments. There’s no need to baby them as it does nothing for values either way.

Getting an Omega polished isn’t frowned upon either - they get worn, scratched and then when they’re serviced, rinse and repeat.

I’m glad my mindset is to treat my Rolex like my Omega.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 07:42 PM   #42
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Hard to pass up a SMP300M when you can walk into any AD, find one and get a discount. It's a beautiful watch that comes in 4 different dial colors and you can get the bracelet and order the rubber strap.

Not even close.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:10 PM   #43
erekose
"TRF" Member

I have a 114060 and an older SMP, the 2254.80 with the electric blue dial.

I think the quality of the new SMPs is great, but aesthetically for me don't work. Just like my Planet Ocean 2500, I prefer the flatter, more sleek Omegas. The 2254.80 is so flat and comfortable on the wrist it's a favorite in my collection. It's also appreciated a good amount in the short time I've owned it, so Omegas can hold their own there as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 09:14 PM   #44
emtee
"TRF" Member

Love my blue on blue rubber. Do I prefer the sub? Yes but I was after a fun colourful watch that wasn’t going to cost an arm and a leg and this fits the bill perfectly.

Now if someone said you can have this SMP for £3200 or the Sub for £12K which seems to be the current market value for both that would be quite the decision.
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:03 PM   #45
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge fan of Rolex and the divers specifically. This is not a real comparison based on price and availability, only that they are similar dive watches. Let compare the Rolex Submariner to the Patek Phillippe Nautilus or Aquanaut and the discussion now becomes different and Rolex is in the role that Omega plays in this discussion. I own and like both the Submariner and the Seamaster and really do not think about them as either/or, more as different in a good way.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 02:34 AM   #46
shalako
"TRF" Member

Most Rolex folk are obsessed with resale value and perceived image so you’ll never convince them to even consider an Omega, ( if you don’t believe me read how many posts refer to that very subject) I buy what I like which is why I own three Omega’s including the White dial ceramic Diver 300m which is a superb watch. I have nothing against Rolex, I own x 4 and love them too but my Omega’s I rate just as highly.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 09:49 AM   #47
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Seamaster brings more bangs for the buck!
Sub is not worth $5K more, period.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 02:19 PM   #48
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Back in around 2000 or so, WatchTime magazine has a comparative review of the then-current Sub 16610 and the Bond Seamaster 300M. At that time I was fiercely anti-Rolex and was a huge Omega fanboy. I was outraged that the article concluded in favor of the Rolex.

Now, some 20 years later, I have owned a 5513, a 14060, a 1680, and a 114060... and never a single Seamaster Diver 300M. Interesting. I guess I prefer the Submariner even though I still love the 300M in theory.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:09 PM   #49
TimeBoxed
"TRF" Member

I have both a 126660 DSSD and a white dial SMP 300M in my collection.

Personally, I wouldn’t go anything below a 42mm on my wrist. The SMP 300M cuts it fine, but let me tell you what a beautiful timepiece this is.

Moving forward, I will be adding a SMP 300M “Nekton Edition” to the collection.
TimeBoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:43 PM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Omega is one of my favorite brands but I always vote Sub on these comparisons. Not even a contest for me. The Submariner looks simple, sharp, black and white only so to me it has a perfect design. The fact that it was never messed up with and they've kept it consistent makes a big difference to me as well.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:19 PM   #51
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

The Sub has more of an emotional draw to me. It's the watch I saw around growing up and the one I always wanted. To me it was (and still is) one of the best watches ever made. For a dive watch, it's the go to choice and anything else (again, only for me) is playing catch-up. I've tried the 300m multiple times and I've really wanted to like it. But each time I did, I thought that if I bought it I would still always look at the Sub. So, the Sub is what I went with and even though I paid more than double what I could have bought a new 300m for, I know it was right.

Now, flip that to the Speedie vs. Daytona and I am drawn to the Speedie for the exact same reason, which is the emotional draw.

You can look at the specs and the resale value all day long, but ultimately I think it comes down to whichever you're drawn to most. There is no wrong or right answer here. The exception to that being that (in my opinion) watches should not be bought with investment in mind. I've always maintained that if you can't afford to lose on a watch then you can't afford it at all.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 09:29 AM   #52
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Omega is one of my favorite brands but I always vote Sub on these comparisons. Not even a contest for me. The Submariner looks simple, sharp, black and white only so to me it has a perfect design. The fact that it was never messed up with and they've kept it consistent makes a big difference to me as well.
This here is my biggest issue with Omega watches and the company in general, the constant mucking around with the design and movements. One could say well, they keep improving which I do agree to an extent, the designs are a bit better, the movements are better at time keeping.....but you could also argue they rush into constantly redesigning, the aesthetics the movement the materials......
If they would just evolve slowly, take their time and get it right the first time. Over the last ten years the Submariner was redesigned just once(and a couple weeks ago) while the Seamaster has gone through two/three and the Planet Ocean about four times, meanwhile the best iteration of the PO is still the original in my opinion.

You buy an Omega today and tomorrow it's obsolete, the design is old the movement is now old(exception being the Speedmasters). Not that it matters but when you think of longevity and servicing, it puts into question sustainability. It's why no matter how much I like Apple watches I just can't commit to a product that will be obsolete in two/three years. Apple watch series 1 doesn't support the newer OS, its bricked now.

The influence Rolex has over my psyche is strong. On paper the Seamaster is a better watch, the Planet Ocean which was compared to the Sea-Dweller had better attributes except for the He valve....but subjectively the Rolex influence always wins out and value wise, while you can buy an Omega for less it also holds much less value in the market. So while a Submariner costs much more for objectively less, the huge spike in market value makes it the much better buy. Essentially, the better bang for dollar is now a Rolex.(assuming purchase at msrp)
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 08:41 PM   #53
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good points. I agree.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:18 PM   #54
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I disagree. I think the new seamaster maintains its design from the 90s bond seamaster. The sub and seamaster but have their own unique looks.

The seamaster is just more cutting edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:26 PM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This here is my biggest issue with Omega watches and the company in general, the constant mucking around with the design and movements. One could say well, they keep improving which I do agree to an extent, the designs are a bit better, the movements are better at time keeping.....but you could also argue they rush into constantly redesigning, the aesthetics the movement the materials......
If they would just evolve slowly, take their time and get it right the first time. Over the last ten years the Submariner was redesigned just once(and a couple weeks ago) while the Seamaster has gone through two/three and the Planet Ocean about four times, meanwhile the best iteration of the PO is still the original in my opinion.

You buy an Omega today and tomorrow it's obsolete, the design is old the movement is now old(exception being the Speedmasters). Not that it matters but when you think of longevity and servicing, it puts into question sustainability. It's why no matter how much I like Apple watches I just can't commit to a product that will be obsolete in two/three years. Apple watch series 1 doesn't support the newer OS, its bricked now.

The influence Rolex has over my psyche is strong. On paper the Seamaster is a better watch, the Planet Ocean which was compared to the Sea-Dweller had better attributes except for the He valve....but subjectively the Rolex influence always wins out and value wise, while you can buy an Omega for less it also holds much less value in the market. So while a Submariner costs much more for objectively less, the huge spike in market value makes it the much better buy. Essentially, the better bang for dollar is now a Rolex.(assuming purchase at msrp)
Really well stated
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 09:43 AM   #56
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

My thoughts as well. They were doing great with the 2531.80, 2254.50, 2255.80 'electric blue', 3570.50, 2200.50, 2208.50 and the list goes on but they've thrown away a great team of watches to release new models with fake patina, pcls, multiple versions and styles that one can get lost searching. Not the best move IMHO and that's why I only own the classic PO and the vintage Chronostop today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (80.7 KB, 341 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:04 AM   #57
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erekose View Post

I think the quality of the new SMPs is great, but aesthetically for me don't work. Just like my Planet Ocean 2500, I prefer the flatter, more sleek Omegas. The 2254.80 is so flat and comfortable on the wrist it's a favorite in my collection. It's also appreciated a good amount in the short time I've owned it, so Omegas can hold their own there as well.

This comment resonates with me
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 09:53 AM   #58
MBornia
"TRF" Member

Own both and love both. Submariner is THE sports watch, but the blue Omega on the rubber is so special. I actually wear it more. The dial is gorgeous, the sapphire caseback so elegant, the rubber strap is the perfect mix of sporty and elegant amd you can get one. None of the Rolex crazy “you want blue? Only white gold! 3x the price!” I laugh when I look at the new YM in the oysterex for 30k, because the Omega makes me so happy I would NEVER pay that. Just get what speaks to you.
MBornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 09:34 PM   #59
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erekose View Post

Hard to argue with that picture, great watch

Love that bezel!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 10:53 PM   #60
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I've worn Rolex watches for 35 years and currently have a six digit sub that I purchased in November of 2019 from my AD. I follow this forum and check out the for sale section every day so I've seen the accelerating prices on six digit subs. I'll admit, I've been thinking about selling mine and buying a new Seamaster. My wife is against it and says I'll just want another Submariner in a few months. She's probably right, but I'll admit, there is a worm in my brain that says walking around with 10 K on my wrist is kinda silly when I can get a beautiful, BNB Seamaster for 5k or less.
I ended up selling my Submariner and purchased a brand new 300M in black. I'm wearing it 24/7 and love it. I purchased the watch at a local AD and didn't hammer them on the price, although they gave me a nice set of earrings for my wife. The size of the watch is perfect, the bracelet adjustability is first class and the time keeping is remarkable. As an added bonus the 300M box is sensational and far exceeds any that accompanied my many Rolex purchases. It's been several months now and I'm completely satisfied with my Omega. I also don't miss the Rolex fixation with price gyrations that accompany the brand. I've attached a photo of "Big Black" so everyone can see the object of my affection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seamaster.jpg (97.5 KB, 250 views)
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote