The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 1 October 2020, 12:37 AM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
With no vaccines and growing virus fatigue and resistance to mitigation efforts, it’s certainly a possibility over time. The virus isn’t leaving. The 1918 Pandemic, an H1N1 influenza virus, killed 50,000,000 people at a time when the world population was 1.8 billion. The population in 2020 is 7.8 billion.
Seems unlikely considering the rate of death with this disease.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 1 October 2020, 01:02 AM   #62
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHendrick1978 View Post

I would rather be in America..You have way more freedom than we do.
Freedom is an illusion. Our magicians are just better than yours.
Old 1 October 2020, 01:24 AM   #63
pepsi16710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 pepsi, 16610
Over here in the UK, things are also very quiet. We have an office on central London, near Holborn underground station and this is prime office territory. Hundreds around where we are and from our vantage point on Floor 4, looking out into the wider world, I would say of the 500 or so desks I saw, only 2 were in use. Even the McDonalds was closed on my last visit there 2 weeks ago. Strangely, commercial property prices here have not yet dipped - but I would expect that to change soon given there is no sign of any large offices opening any time soon. We also have this nonsensical Brexit to deal with and so the long-term prospects for the UK look quite grim. I now live in Austria, where things are much brighter and far better organised.
Old 1 October 2020, 02:47 AM   #64
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Things are pretty much normal in FL. My son never really stopped playing hockey, they took maybe 3 weeks off back in March/April. Restaurants are back to full capacity and bars reopened. Positive numbers and infection rates are down across the state.
Old 1 October 2020, 03:32 AM   #65
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
Things are pretty much normal in FL. My son never really stopped playing hockey, they took maybe 3 weeks off back in March/April. Restaurants are back to full capacity and bars reopened. Positive numbers and infection rates are down across the state.
Same here in South Carolina. Like FL, we opened up back in May and Corona peaked in early July. New case rate is down >50% and death rate has dropped >60%. Life is pretty much back to normal with a few exceptions.
Old 1 October 2020, 03:57 AM   #66
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Disagree. It is our interpretation of a higher dimensional construct.
Old 1 October 2020, 03:58 AM   #67
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I agree. Indications are that a vaccine that offers at least some protection will be successfully produced. Maybe several different vaccines. If a vaccine search fails, then it will be survival of the fittest until some sort of antiviral therapy can be found, as the virus will not leave the Earth anymore than the common cold viruses have disappeared. Mutations will determine whether it becomes more or less infectious and more or less deadly.
Old 1 October 2020, 04:20 AM   #68
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
I agree. Indications are that a vaccine that offers at least some protection will be successfully produced. Maybe several different vaccines. If a vaccine search fails, then it will be survival of the fittest until some sort of antiviral therapy can be found, as the virus will not leave the Earth anymore than the common cold viruses have disappeared. Mutations will determine whether it becomes more or less infectious and more or less deadly.
What I find interesting (now) is that here in Margaritaville for example we're having roughly 700 new cases a week and one or two deaths per week. Now this is a very low death rate IMHO. The deceased have an average age of 84 years and have one or more serious illnesses. Margaritaville's life expectancy among women and men are about 81 years.

We have 4 people receiving intensive care, so we have 996 free intensive care units.
Old 1 October 2020, 04:24 AM   #69
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

The entire state of North Dakota has 22 ICU beds available this morning.
Old 1 October 2020, 04:27 AM   #70
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The entire state of North Dakota has 22 ICU beds available this morning.
How many ICU beds does North Dakota have?
Old 1 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #71
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How many ICU beds does North Dakota have?
~300. Population of ~800k. 2100 total beds in the state.

They have yet to enact any contingency plans, which they have. They also aren't postponing or restricting any elective procedures, unlike many other states.

It makes a nice headline though.
Old 1 October 2020, 04:53 AM   #72
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
We are just waiting for "The Emerald Isle" to open uf the airport for international arrivals so that we can get the hell out of this doom and gloom atmosphere that we live in. Wished we could have just stayed without returning back in June anyways to all this bs...
Old 1 October 2020, 05:19 AM   #73
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post

They have yet to enact any contingency plans, which they have. They also aren't postponing or restricting any elective procedures, unlike many other states.

It makes a nice headline though.
Glad none of what’s happening in the world worries you.
Old 1 October 2020, 05:20 AM   #74
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Life outside seems more normal - doing some limited shopping and longer walks - all because masks and distancing are prevalent. In the house, not anywhere near-normal. Junior in HS and Junior in college full time from home. Wife working from home when usually in the office. I have been running my consulting business from home from three years, so I am used to it, but I am not used to sharing space as we live in a small row home in center city. I've built a "decklet" on the roof and make good use of that as well as the 10x10' "backyard" when the weather is nice. I use music as my outlet and to keep my sanity but practicing during the day is impossible and I haven't played with an ensemble since March and until I am vaccinated, I don't realistically see that happening. So not so normal. Upsides: healthy, still working, making great meals for the family, memorizing Bach solo pieces!
Old 1 October 2020, 05:27 AM   #75
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for the context.
Old 1 October 2020, 05:31 AM   #76
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What worries me is people who cherry pick data to try to instill fear. Why else would you make that post about ND?
Old 1 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #77
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
Life outside seems more normal - doing some limited shopping and longer walks - all because masks and distancing are prevalent. In the house, not anywhere near-normal. Junior in HS and Junior in college full time from home. Wife working from home when usually in the office. I have been running my consulting business from home from three years, so I am used to it, but I am not used to sharing space as we live in a small row home in center city. I've built a "decklet" on the roof and make good use of that as well as the 10x10' "backyard" when the weather is nice. I use music as my outlet and to keep my sanity but practicing during the day is impossible and I haven't played with an ensemble since March and until I am vaccinated, I don't realistically see that happening. So not so normal. Upsides: healthy, still working, making great meals for the family, memorizing Bach solo pieces!
Thank goodness for general compliance with masking and distancing, even among those who grumble about it, for which I'm thankful. It has allowed a plateau in new cases, but is unfortunately inadequate to drop new cases low enough to do a good job with contact tracing.

Our kids in 2nd and 6th grade just transitioned from remote learning to 2 days a week in school. They love going back, and my wife and I appreciate not having to play schoolteacher and parent 5 days a week. Hopefully we can keep up the community effort so kids can return to school more fully, though I have my doubts.

Quote:
What worries me is people who cherry pick data to try to instill fear. Why else would you make that post about ND?
I think Joey was using an example of how a blooming hot spot can get out of control if measures aren't taken early enough to stem the tide. Most ICUs operate at around 80% capacity. Many of those beds are for immediate post-operative patients before they transition to a regular hospital bed. When ICU beds and ward beds fill up with COVID patients and leave less room for other patients, then care for all the other maladies and the ability to do needed procedures on an elective basis suffer. Remember, elective doesn't mean a nose job. Elective means addressing nonemergent but debilitating disease states so that people can function.

This is how COVID-19 local outbreaks affect even those who are uninfected, and this has both health and economic consequences that our system is not built to absorb. From a health care perspective, hospitals and practitioners need to do elective cases to pay the bills, and it's a pretty big chunk of the economy in many areas.
Old 1 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #78
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Old 1 October 2020, 06:29 AM   #79
Dave455
"TRF" Member

As most folks here are in the U.S. I thought I’d give an update on what’s going on the other side of the pond.

The initial outbreak was met with a pretty much a complete shutdown. All ‘non essential’ places of work were closed, as were pubs, restaurants etc. The U.K. has a set of protocols called “transition to war” and the steps taken were primarily from the first stage of that.

While this resulted in a few things that some folks couldn’t understand, everything is pre prepared, and all the government departments get told exactly what to do, so it was probably a fair call. Grocery shops etc remained open, there were shortages of some goods, but no major problems. Hospitals were cleared of non urgent cases but seemed to cope.

As to now, it depends on where you live. I’m in a rural area and would say that things are 95% back to normal, provided you are sensible. Most shops and offices etc are back open, but people are working from home where they can. Masks and gloves are generally worn in public. Most things you want to do you can, provided you don’t want to buy a 2020 Submariner!

In the future, I think there will be changes. I think the number of people commuting to work will be vastly reduced, and more people will work from home, permanently. This was a trend pre Covid, and it’s simply been accelerated.

I think people are more conscious about where, and how far, their essentials come from. I’ve been glad of local suppliers for all sorts of basics. I’ll continue to support those local suppliers in the future and don’t think I’ll ever return to reliance on supermarkets.

I was brought up by parents and grandparents who had lived through the war so am used to keeping tinned food in the house, some means to cook it, and some independence from the utilities (alternative heating, bottled gas for cooking etc). No recent events have altered that view, and other folks are seeing it my way. I suspect that will continue.

It’s still too early to say what the full economic consequences will be. We live in a society where most legislators are over protective, and shut things down without really understanding the full cost. My own industry (Aviation) has taken a big hit. I don’t know how long it will take to recover. I’m not saying the shutdown was wrong, merely that we didn’t know the cost.

On the upside, my neighbours and I all talk to each other more, most of the old folks have got someone keeping an eye out for them and people seem to be sharing their skills at minimal or no cost. Barter seems to work fine! My recreational activities have changed to things that are local and cheap, and I haven’t eaten a take away in 6 months. I’m thinner, fitter, and probably healthier, than I was, even though the same can’t be said for my bank account!

I have no idea what the future holds, but with all due respect to the medical professionals who have already posted, the 1918 epidemic did eventually fizzle, out with the majority of people never catching the virus. My Great Uncle Joe caught it while in hospital in France in 1918 and was one of the first to perish. None of the rest of my family caught it, but they were all careful. I intend to be too!
Old 1 October 2020, 06:31 AM   #80
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Thank goodness for general compliance with masking and distancing, even among those who grumble about it, for which I'm thankful. It has allowed a plateau in new cases, but is unfortunately inadequate to drop new cases low enough to do a good job with contact tracing.

Our kids in 2nd and 6th grade just transitioned from remote learning to 2 days a week in school. They love going back, and my wife and I appreciate not having to play schoolteacher and parent 5 days a week. Hopefully we can keep up the community effort so kids can return to school more fully, though I have my doubts.

I think Joey was using an example of how a blooming hot spot can get out of control if measures aren't taken early enough to stem the tide. Most ICUs operate at around 80% capacity. Many of those beds are for immediate post-operative patients before they transition to a regular hospital bed. When ICU beds and ward beds fill up with COVID patients and leave less room for other patients, then care for all the other maladies and the ability to do needed procedures on an elective basis suffer. Remember, elective doesn't mean a nose job. Elective means addressing nonemergent but debilitating disease states so that people can function.

This is how COVID-19 local outbreaks affect even those who are uninfected, and this has both health and economic consequences that our system is not built to absorb. From a health care perspective, hospitals and practitioners need to do elective cases to pay the bills, and it's a pretty big chunk of the economy in many areas.
Well stated. There are a bunch of factors that are not discussed much. People accessing healthcare is one of them. With all the focus on the pandemic, other health issues and needed treatments have access problems. This is obviously also an economic concern for providers.
Ty: By height.
Old 1 October 2020, 06:44 AM   #81
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
We're doomed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Finally, the voice of sanity.
Old 1 October 2020, 07:01 AM   #82
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Florida which was/is a "hot spot" supposedly never had overwhelmed ICU's. I believe there were at least 10% of the beds available during the worst outbreaks.

Take this for what it's worth because it's anecdotal. I've been going to a hockey rink twice a week since May. Masks are worn inside by non players and coaches but the players obviously don't have masks on. I haven't heard of anyone being infected from that rink. Maybe it's luck or information I'm not privy to, however I see the same faces there every time.
Old 1 October 2020, 07:36 AM   #83
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

All signs of what new normal could be point to Vietnam. 100 million people, 1094 cases,
35 deaths. No deaths until July, all those deaths were over a month period when tourists let their guards down. They have kept things ticking along with minimal problems. Here in western Canada most people are pretty much staying and traveling in their own geographical areas. So part of the the new norm here are no tourists.
Old 1 October 2020, 08:01 AM   #84
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Florida which was/is a "hot spot" supposedly never had overwhelmed ICU's. I believe there were at least 10% of the beds available during the worst outbreaks.

Take this for what it's worth because it's anecdotal. I've been going to a hockey rink twice a week since May. Masks are worn inside by non players and coaches but the players obviously don't have masks on. I haven't heard of anyone being infected from that rink. Maybe it's luck or information I'm not privy to, however I see the same faces there every time.

Do you skate at Ellenton ice complex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 October 2020, 08:51 AM   #85
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
All signs of what new normal could be point to Vietnam. 100 million people, 1094 cases,
35 deaths. No deaths until July, all those deaths were over a month period when tourists let their guards down. They have kept things ticking along with minimal problems. Here in western Canada most people are pretty much staying and traveling in their own geographical areas. So part of the the new norm here are no tourists.
Sri lanka has 32 million people and 13 deaths with 3000 cases with most of them sick sri lankans working abroad that wanted to come home..
Old 1 October 2020, 10:18 AM   #86
Lagetickers
Banned

Yes gradually we’re getting there, living with it is the new normal, all we need to do is to protect ourselves by covering our nose, washing our hands and other protective measures should be applied adequately while we hope for better days .
Old 1 October 2020, 11:45 AM   #87
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Do you skate at Ellenton ice complex?

Tampa Bay Skating Academy in Oldsmar

Old 1 October 2020, 11:52 AM   #88
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
My son never really stopped playing hockey, they took maybe 3 weeks off back in March/April
In DE, they are making the kids wear masks while playing. Yes, you read that correctly. Needless to say, we are not scheduling any games in DE at this time

But we are still not allowed in rinks to watch them play (in PA)
Old 1 October 2020, 01:08 PM   #89
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Exactly. But hey, maybe Covid will kill 1 billion. Why not? It could happen right? Let the permanent lockdowns begin...
Old 1 October 2020, 01:20 PM   #90
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why? Because if he is right and ND has 300 icu beds that means that mentioning the fact that there are only 22 icu beds available without context is completely misleading and reeks of scare mongering. That seems to bother you for some reason.
Closed Thread