The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #121
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Well, the halo effect of the CB is pretty pronounced given the low volume of watches FPJ produces annually. It was not so long ago that many pieces were available on the secondary for below MSRP. A couple years ago, I could have purchased a CB at MSRP with no wait after trying it on. Last year, the AD in Chicago constantly had a few in the case to buy without a wait, including a CS, a QP, an Octa, and an Octa Lune Automatique. I had inquired about getting a rose gold CS from them, and ended up purchasing one on the secondary. With just one inquiry and leaving my phone number, I got a call the next month when one came in. Granted it's never been a hot piece, but I had no purchase history.

Now, I suspect that times have changed. Who would've thought that there would be waiting lists for the CS, which is essentially the entry level piece for the brand? I'm guessing we will start seeing less of the more desirable pieces at non-boutique ADs and waitlists for those pieces at the boutiques.

Good news is that as opposed to AP and Patek wanting to dump Codes and Calatravas on first-time customers just to get in line for a desirable piece, I at least find the majority of the FPJ line-up to be winners. I'm glad they don't waste time producing high numbers of less desirable pieces all in the name of variety, while choking access to the pieces people want. Instead, there is a pretty unifying design language that you can get in any of their pieces, and to boot it's not reliant on a rehashing Genta's contribution to horology over and over again.
This is a fantastic post and I agree with all of it.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 01:03 AM   #122
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
The enjoyment I get out of the CB is well worth the premium I paid to me. While not discontinued per se, it’s effectively discontinued to me since I don’t have a relationship with the boutique. To be honest, I have only ever paid over retail for ones that are discontinued (FPJ 38mm Octa Lune and Patek 5165) but the CB felt totally worth it. And while I don’t like paying over retail, all 3 of those noted above are ones I intend to keep forever.
Agreed. I almost NEVER pay over retail for a watch, but the CB is a completely next level to me. Worth it. I have zero regrets.
Old 15 July 2020, 01:34 AM   #123
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Well, the halo effect of the CB is pretty pronounced given the low volume of watches FPJ produces annually. It was not so long ago that many pieces were available on the secondary for below MSRP. A couple years ago, I could have purchased a CB at MSRP with no wait after trying it on. Last year, the AD in Chicago constantly had a few in the case to buy without a wait, including a CS, a QP, an Octa, and an Octa Lune Automatique. I had inquired about getting a rose gold CS from them, and ended up purchasing one on the secondary. With just one inquiry and leaving my phone number, I got a call the next month when one came in. Granted it's never been a hot piece, but I had no purchase history.

Now, I suspect that times have changed. Who would've thought that there would be waiting lists for the CS, which is essentially the entry level piece for the brand? I'm guessing we will start seeing less of the more desirable pieces at non-boutique ADs and waitlists for those pieces at the boutiques.

Good news is that as opposed to AP and Patek wanting to dump Codes and Calatravas on first-time customers just to get in line for a desirable piece, I at least find the majority of the FPJ line-up to be winners. I'm glad they don't waste time producing high numbers of less desirable pieces all in the name of variety, while choking access to the pieces people want. Instead, there is a pretty unifying design language that you can get in any of their pieces, and to boot it's not reliant on a rehashing Genta's contribution to horology over and over again.
Totally agree
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 03:49 AM   #124
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Looks like we have one for 57.5 listed just this morning....
igibliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 09:11 AM   #125
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Uscmatt made a great point, def worth a read

And igibliss someone pointed out something hilarious to me the other day, crown and caliber had CB selling for 38k with a strange strap, a week later a guy lists exact same watch on Chrono24 for 60k (it’s still there). Strap is the same, year is the same. Its kinda sad honestly
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 11:50 AM   #126
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
Strap is the same, year is the same. Its kinda sad honestly
Very sad if it is the same watch. This watch is def making it in my ‘keep in the watchbox’. Enjoy wearing it and keep hunting down for some neat straps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 12:00 PM   #127
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And igibliss someone pointed out something hilarious to me the other day, crown and caliber had CB selling for 38k with a strange strap, a week later a guy lists exact same watch on Chrono24 for 60k (it’s still there). Strap is the same, year is the same. Its kinda sad honestly
Lolol I saw that!
Old 18 July 2020, 02:19 PM   #128
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igibliss View Post
Lolol I saw that!
You know the brand is gaining momentum when people are flipping way over retail pieces for way way way over retail
Old 18 July 2020, 03:06 PM   #129
rfs
"TRF" Member

Is there a waiting list for CS in Platinum? What is a used one selling for these days?
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 03:53 PM   #130
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Is there a waiting list for CS in Platinum? What is a used one selling for these days?
At this point it’s probably around retail you may be able to find one at an AD or boutique.
Old 18 July 2020, 04:14 PM   #131
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Going for sticker. Tried one on at the LA store a few weeks back. Had rose and platinum available on the spot. Laurent Journe will help you himself. Ask him about his optimum with the deployant.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 04:24 PM   #132
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMHO.. nothing to be sad .. it’s just supply n demand in a free market at play.

WatchBox too just listed a CB at US$60K
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 04:26 PM   #133
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
IMHO.. nothing to be sad .. it’s just supply n demand in a free market at play.

WatchBox too just listed a CB at US$60K

Don’t think you understood what I said, a guy bought a CB for 38k and put up the same one for 60k a week later....

Sent From my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 July 2020, 04:43 PM   #134
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t think you understood what I said, a guy bought a CB for 38k and put up the same one for 60k a week later....

Isn’t that exactly how the market works? ..
Old 18 July 2020, 04:47 PM   #135
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isn’t that exactly how the market works? ..
LOL, someone could have bought the watch and enjoyed it, you know, like a normal watch enthusiast would. But I guess we’ll give kudos to flippers then. Whatever floats your boat chief
Old 18 July 2020, 04:53 PM   #136
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL, someone could have bought the watch and enjoyed it, you know, like a normal watch enthusiast would. But I guess we’ll give kudos to flippers then. Whatever floats your boat chief
I get what you mean.. we are collectors hence we tend not to flip our watches and we buy with passions. However, we are only the minority where most ppl will value cold hard cash more than a watch. We are the “weird bunch”
Old 18 July 2020, 04:57 PM   #137
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get what you mean.. we are collectors hence we tend not to flip our watches and we buy with passions. However, we are only the minority where most ppl will value cold hard cash more than a watch. We are the “weird bunch”
This is true haha
But ya, hypothetical it’s like let’s say someone want to get a CB and is like I’m not paying over 40k, one comes up, gets snatched right away and the guy that buys it lists it for 60k, that kinda sucks. That’s the way I’m looking it
Old 18 July 2020, 05:59 PM   #138
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
List price means nothing if nobody buys it, it's just wishful thinking from the seller.

But then, Phillips's latest auction saw it sell at 50'000chf...
Henrimontgomery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 07:43 PM   #139
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Hard to believe but I think this thing might be going over 50K sustained. The supply side being cut in half, and essentially a closed list, appears to mean this watch will just keep going up as long as demand stays strong. I strongly suspect it will be discontinued or changed substantially in the next couple of years.
Old 18 July 2020, 08:00 PM   #140
shafran
"TRF" Member

Get the CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin20 View Post
Going for sticker. Tried one on at the LA store a few weeks back. Had rose and platinum available on the spot. Laurent Journe will help you himself. Ask him about his optimum with the deployant.
Stock is running out and the factory is closing for 3 weeks for vacation. The RG Cs is becoming impossible to get.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 01:26 AM   #141
rfs
"TRF" Member

I just now spoke to my AD. He has a CS in Platinum available for $35.4K. Please PM me if anyone is interested. Happy to connect with the AD.
Old 19 July 2020, 02:01 AM   #142
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just now spoke to my AD. He has a CS in Platinum available for $35.4K. Please PM me if anyone is interested. Happy to connect with the AD.
That's below retail price! Is it pre-owned ?
Old 19 July 2020, 02:12 AM   #143
igibliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
That's below retail price! Is it pre-owned ?
I believe 35.4 is retail for the guilloche dial. White gold is 36.5.
Old 19 July 2020, 02:18 AM   #144
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Stock is running out and the factory is closing for 3 weeks for vacation. The RG Cs is becoming impossible to get.

That is a lovely piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 03:07 AM   #145
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igibliss View Post
I believe 35.4 is retail for the guilloche dial. White gold is 36.5.
Went to the AD and got quoted 43k chf for these!
Old 19 July 2020, 03:28 AM   #146
rfs
"TRF" Member

Wow! That is approximately 46k USD! Is the AD selling above MSRP?
Old 19 July 2020, 03:48 AM   #147
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! That is approximately 46k USD! Is the AD selling above MSRP?

His prices might not be wrong if it includes 10-20% VAT, here’s what they are closer to (from 2014) so they’re tiny bit more than this (38mm doesn’t exist anymore)

Old 20 July 2020, 12:49 AM   #148
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

For those that own the watch, I'm curious for your take on this question: pay up for secondary premiums on the Bleu or get the RG Soverign with Blue hands?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 01:07 AM   #149
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
For those that own the watch, I'm curious for your take on this question: pay up for secondary premiums on the Bleu or get the RG Soverign with Blue hands?
It depends on which one you want more. I am not one to pay these crazy premiums for a watch, but for a piece such as the CB which will probably not get any cheaper and become more and more difficult to obtain, I might make an exception.

That being said, the CS is a great watch too with an added complication, and if you're happy with either piece, getting the CS might make more sense.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 01:13 AM   #150
shafran
"TRF" Member

I have worn both. The cs is more me. They are both beautiful. No discounts on cs rg at this point. Used are selling around list.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote