The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 September 2020, 12:05 PM   #1
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
A Swiss Army Knife of Watches!

Returning to Rolex Forums after a blissful absence (due to having bought a companionable everyday watch--but it began to slow down so that's why I'm back) I have once again become intoxicated by the joie de vivre about those peskly little critters--watches. Wondering if my wanderlust might be enhanced by a watch with a different accent, I started researching GMTs, world times, dual times, etc.

Being that this is Rolex Forums, I felt obliged to consider GMTs again, but regret still lacking the necessary acculturation to appreciate that bezel.

I dropped into Patek Forum and then examined the world time, but 1. I cannot afford any of those variants; 2. Patek used to make a more articulated version with engraved names of places on the case--done by hand--and I can't help thinking that the current series is a rare example of Patek cutting corners. Someone posted a dual time Patek that intrigued me--with way cool and uncharacteristically bold graphics in a Calatrava case. But I cannot imagine it on a Patek bracelet. After years of suffering disintegrating leather straps (I travel to steamy places) I need a bracelet watch. Patek's Aquanaut popped up, but I must be the only interloper on Rolex Forums to prefer the Nautilus. And at those prices, I would not want to have to settle for a design I do not like. Sadly, the Nautilus is not just a dual time--being Patek Philippe it must also feature a chronograph! That brought the price to 5 figures. Not only that, but reviews reveal that the pushers for setting time for both the Aquanaut and Nautilus might be pressed accidentally with wrist movements. The later Calatrava with bold graphics solves that problem by adding quarter turn locks.

My love affair with AP having been totally one way and only slightly reciprocated--when Francois-Henry Bennahmias emailed if he could do me any favors--I have skipped the AP Forum entirely.

Then I searched the internet and found a rather affordable (second hand) distinctive, deliriously delightful (depending on color) dual time watch--Harry Winston's Z4 created under the leadership of one of my heroes Max Busser. I was on the verge of buying one (second hand) except I remembered that I need more than dual time--I need triple time. When I am visiting people in one part of the world I get and send messages about food to people on two other continents. So I had to place the great Max Busser on hold.

Back to lessons about GMT? No way. I want to share here on Open Discussion Forum (to no one in particular) a timepiece I found on the Net that can tell time in 35 time zones!!! Is at least as durable as a Rolex. Is distinctive looking without screaming "bonk this guy on the head and steal me", is esoteric enough to have distinction and a bedtime story, and is relatively affordable for those accustomed to Rolex although, sadly, not for 95% of the world's population. Another aspect about the price of this watch that Rolex Forums afficionaldoes might appreciate is that it is selling for 50% more than its retail price--the entire production of 300 having sold out immediately from authorized dealers! Shades of Rolex and Patek.

So here, ta dah, is a paragon of tool watches, the eidolon of timepieces, the beau ideal of mass chronology, and also dedicated to another one of my heroes...(golly, I hope the link works)...

https://www.g-central.com/bruce-lee-...80th-birthday/
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:11 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

Bruce Lee is a childhood hero of mine and I think it's a damn shame they're using his legacy to market a $4,000 G shock.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:26 PM   #3
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Bruce Lee is a childhood hero of mine and I think it's a damn shame they're using his legacy to market a $4,000 G shock.
I agree completely. And the aftermarket prices are in the high USD6000s. It did not have to be a limited edition so that Bruce Lee's message could reach many more.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote