The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 February 2022, 02:02 PM   #1
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
GS - Green Birch SLGH011 - Evolution 9 Release 9/15/22

https://grandseikogs9club.com/chroni...birch-slgh011/

Online Boutique only, pre-orders open. Beautiful dial as usual, but I might be getting some fatigue. 7 month pre-order is pretty wild as well.
PBJ1925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 02:22 PM   #2
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
I just saw this watch and am in love. I think I’m going to pass on the SBGH009 and either wait for this or consider getting the 469 with the indigo dial and Selling my snowflake and getting the white birch 005 with the high beat movement.

The teal dial on this 011 just looks amazing ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 03:47 PM   #3
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

puked seeing yet another release, at least its not another LE. that is a very nice looking shade of green tho
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:13 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I've asked the local rep over here in Dubai for more information, but I absolutely love this!
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:52 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Long rumored and now finally here. Beautiful watch.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 10:14 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great looking watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 11:18 PM   #7
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The limited edition release of the week. At least it's a good one.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 11:38 PM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Some exec has to be compensated by number of product releases
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 12:22 AM   #9
pandrew6l

I think most people will run out of money , before GS exhausted their ideas of LE. How about a Pink Birch for Valentine's Day ?
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:43 AM   #10
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

I am not usually a green dial fan but this looks nice.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:55 AM   #11
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandrew6l View Post
I think most people will run out of money , before GS exhausted their ideas of LE. How about a Pink Birch for Valentine's Day ?
But it’s not a LE.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:00 AM   #12
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Beautiful watch, but I'm not too crazy about the hour hand coming to a blunt tip. I think I prefer the pointed hour hand.
Old 11 February 2022, 04:28 AM   #13
baamvino
"TRF" Member

No love for GS anymore. They're just lazy and rely too much on their limited edition marketing tactic.
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:28 AM   #14
Jimbo
Banned

Not sure why people are complaining about different versions of the White Birch. How many variations on the same GMT Master II have we seen? Royal Oaks? Aquanauts? Same watch, different dials, different bezels. Rolex and AP designs have been pretty stagnant for decades if you ask me.

At least GS is offering different movement options and now a different color variation. That's 3 White Birch type models only. That's too much?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:13 AM   #15
matt.w
"TRF" Member

So hard to tell the actual shade from those photos, but this could be really compelling.

I don't think producing so many dial variations is a problem- do people really complain about the choice available for Datejusts or OPs?- but treating each dial as a new model with its own release is just asking for blowback
matt.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:56 AM   #16
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.w View Post

I don't think producing so many dial variations is a problem- do people really complain about the choice available for Datejusts or OPs?- but treating each dial as a new model with its own release is just asking for blowback
+1. Agree.
Old 11 February 2022, 05:57 AM   #17
Jimbo
Banned

If "releasing" a new Sky-Dweller with a rubber strap, or a Daytona with a meteorite dial, is a major announcement at an industry wide trade show and touted as a new release, then GS is not asking for anything different I suppose.
Old 11 February 2022, 06:19 AM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Options are good.
As much as I appreciated the White Birch from an aesthetic POV, ( I feel the same about the Snowflake) I would never have bought one, as I'm just not keen on white/silver dialed watches. Now I see the dial in a different color, I'm a potential customer.

The additional color offerings don't "dilute" the brand; If I'm buying a GS, it's because of the comparatively reasonable price, fantastic quality and lets say "quirkiness".
No matter the number of variants put out, it's minuscule in total and that alone makes it more exclusive than most other luxury watches, should that be a concern. I've travelled the world and never, ever seen another GS in the wild.
Old 11 February 2022, 09:02 AM   #19
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
I Just purchased this watch online earlier today and spoke with the boutique rep.

In less than 24 hours, they’ve already sold out on their USA allocations, since opening up to orders last night. They should, however, be getting more to meet the demand.

Also, there will be some additional releases at watches and wonders, but in reading between the likes speaking to him, none of these will be comparable to the SLGA007 or this Model.

I guess we will see.

FYI: Regarding this watch, he said it will look close to black in dimly lit conditions but should pop in various lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:09 AM   #20
Stranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser Streamliner
Looks a bit too blue-ish, and too dark.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 11:51 AM   #21
loganhunter2009
"TRF" Member

Where is the spring drive calibre 9RA2 SLGA011?
loganhunter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 02:48 PM   #22
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
If "releasing" a new Sky-Dweller with a rubber strap, or a Daytona with a meteorite dial, is a major announcement at an industry wide trade show and touted as a new release, then GS is not asking for anything different I suppose.
Was going to say the same thing - lazy is releasing the same watch on a different bracelet. See the steel GMT options.

One thing I wouldn't call Grand Seiko is lazy. The 80 hour hi-beat and 5 day Spring Drive are modern marvels. In fact, I'd say the hi-beat is one of the best looking movements available in a mass produced watch today. The methods used in making their watches are also (pretty much) unparalleled given the prices.

I think people either get GS, and all of their efforts, or they don't. I'm not some GS fanboi, but I just can't get over the brand being called 'lazy'.
Old 11 February 2022, 03:15 PM   #23
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Was going to say the same thing - lazy is releasing the same watch on a different bracelet. See the steel GMT options.

One thing I wouldn't call Grand Seiko is lazy. The 80 hour hi-beat and 5 day Spring Drive are modern marvels. In fact, I'd say the hi-beat is one of the best looking movements available in a mass produced watch today. The methods used in making their watches are also (pretty much) unparalleled given the prices.

I think people either get GS, and all of their efforts, or they don't. I'm not some GS fanboi, but I just can't get over the brand being called 'lazy'.
They’re not lazy but they are terrible at marketing. Rolex doesn’t release a new dial every two weeks - it’s all done at once then consumers know what the new catalogue is like for the rest of the year. The way GS constantly drops new variations creates fatigue and causes some to delay purchases because, after all, who knows what’s coming next week.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 03:38 PM   #24
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
They’re not lazy but they are terrible at marketing. Rolex doesn’t release a new dial every two weeks - it’s all done at once then consumers know what the new catalogue is like for the rest of the year. The way GS constantly drops new variations creates fatigue and causes some to delay purchases because, after all, who knows what’s coming next week.
Fully agree with this. I also find the way they release their watches incredibly frustrating.

Example: the new frost 62GS is US only. Why? I've asked my store here to get me one but just get a no. Given that the rest of the seasons models are globally available it makes no sense to me.

This new one is also some sort of online boutique exclusive. Again, why? Just release the damn watches that people can actually order.

It is getting frustrating that any new releases are closed to the majority of the world.

That's my rant over now
Old 11 February 2022, 04:13 PM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I won't comment anymore on GS proliferation of references.

That being said, I love this dial and it's a great addition...

But, this "online" boutique channel is irritating some of their indy AD's who were told when bringing on the line that this wasn't going to happen...then voila it happened....and now there is an exclusive watch they are 100% shut out on. Outrage!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 11:04 PM   #26
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I like GS, especially their new Elegance editions. That being said, the price is slightly on the higher side and hopefully they do not fly too close to the Sun and risk getting burnt.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 12:52 AM   #27
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
So, this release requires you to purchase at least another Grand Seiko so you can order it through their online boutique right? Gorgeous watch but once again, GS fumbles the ball. I said it before, if they want to make some real noise and take a share of the market from the big swiss brands, they can't afford to make any mistakes.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 06:40 AM   #28
Jimbo
Banned

Is this true? Because if it is, it's a true bummer, and they are handcuffing themselves.
Old 12 February 2022, 12:33 PM   #29
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
So, this release requires you to purchase at least another Grand Seiko so you can order it through their online boutique right? Gorgeous watch but once again, GS fumbles the ball. I said it before, if they want to make some real noise and take a share of the market from the big swiss brands, they can't afford to make any mistakes.
Hmm. What are you referring to in your statement? Requires you to purchase another…?
Old 13 February 2022, 04:47 AM   #30
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
So, this release requires you to purchase at least another Grand Seiko so you can order it through their online boutique right? .
No.

Are you making things up -how did you get that idea?