The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 November 2023, 02:48 AM   #1
Mojitojorge
"TRF" Member

Two tone GMT 2 / 116713LN

Hi all!

Potentially in the market for a Two Tone GMT2 and recently saw one at a local jeweler. I understand that this ref was discontinued but can’t seem to find when exactly it was discontinued. The jeweler was a little shaky on when they stopped making this reference so just looking for some guidance here.

Watch is a two tone GMT with black dial and black bezel. The year on the card is dated 2020 and he claims it to be ‘new/never worn’ with tags and stickers on it still.

I do understand they sell sticker kits to make it seem as if the watch is new, but wanna make sure I’m not getting screwed here.

Asking price for it is $17,000; does this seem fair/on point and is this watch really potentially from 2020?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1214.jpeg (123.9 KB, 257 views)
Mojitojorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 04:11 AM   #2
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojitojorge View Post
Hi all!

Potentially in the market for a Two Tone GMT2 and recently saw one at a local jeweler. I understand that this ref was discontinued but can’t seem to find when exactly it was discontinued. The jeweler was a little shaky on when they stopped making this reference so just looking for some guidance here.

Watch is a two tone GMT with black dial and black bezel. The year on the card is dated 2020 and he claims it to be ‘new/never worn’ with tags and stickers on it still.

I do understand they sell sticker kits to make it seem as if the watch is new, but wanna make sure I’m not getting screwed here.

Asking price for it is $17,000; does this seem fair/on point and is this watch really potentially from 2020?

Thanks!
If you don’t trust the seller and the card he shows you i wouldn’t buy this watch. Buy the seller before buying the watch. And if you need the opinion from strangers on this forum then i would pass on it and search one from the trusted dealers here. Just my 2 cents.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 06:51 AM   #3
Mojitojorge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
If you don’t trust the seller and the card he shows you i wouldn’t buy this watch. Buy the seller before buying the watch. And if you need the opinion from strangers on this forum then i would pass on it and search one from the trusted dealers here. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks. I did walk away, but now as I keep looking at this specific reference the bigger question I have is “when was this configuration discontinued?” If anyone happens to know
Mojitojorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 07:44 AM   #4
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I agree with the above statement.

That picture alone is not enough to tell if the watch is genuine or not. I have only ever seen wrapping like that on the bracelets of replicas. Replicas are too good today to identify from that one low res photo.

However, the layman should be able to tell if a 'two tone' Rolex is genuine or not simply by putting it on a scale. Ascertain the weight of a Rolex 116713LN and off you go..!
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 01:25 PM   #5
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

Even if that was never worn, never sized and full box and papers, it's not worth close to $17k.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 09:11 AM   #6
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

I'm pretty sure that reference was discontinued in the spring of 2019, together with the SS black bezel GMT!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 02:12 PM   #7
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chro.nic View Post
I'm pretty sure that reference was discontinued in the spring of 2019, together with the SS black bezel GMT!

.nic
Doesn't mean the card is wrong. Dealers hold new old stock and will sell them even a year later and activate the cards.
Topspin14m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 06:07 PM   #8
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I agree with the above statement.

That picture alone is not enough to tell if the watch is genuine or not. I have only ever seen wrapping like that on the bracelets of replicas. Replicas are too good today to identify from that one low res photo.

However, the layman should be able to tell if a 'two tone' Rolex is genuine or not simply by putting it on a scale. Ascertain the weight of a Rolex 116713LN and off you go..!
You can't trust a scale these days, there are " gain weight" replicas using plated tungsten....
Old 23 November 2023, 12:08 PM   #9
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
Doesn't mean the card is wrong. Dealers hold new old stock and will sell them even a year later and activate the cards.
I don't disagree, I was answering the OP's question from post #3!!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 06:19 PM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
1. No
2. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote