The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2020, 11:23 PM   #901
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good point on the 100% but agree completely on the bailouts. I said the same thing to my wife the other night. These companies purposely flag their ships in other countries to avoid U.S. labor laws and pay their employees garbage wages, now they want the U.S. taxpayers to bail them out. Maybe it's time to let them sink (pun intended)
Agree, this is the pushback they will be up against.

And was the point of this article.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...ital-industry/
Old 20 March 2020, 11:23 PM   #902
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Good point on the 100% but agree completely on the bailouts. I said the same thing to my wife the other night. These companies purposely flag their ships in other countries to avoid U.S. labor laws and pay their employees garbage wages, now they want the U.S. taxpayers to bail them out. Maybe it's time to let them sink (pun intended)
There's definitely something to be said for that, right?
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:26 PM   #903
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Here is where you find the 10xers +++ after a decline. Look at a growth stock and if they are still growing at 10-15% in a recession they will rip after

AMAZON was an example in 2009. Shopify should be another.
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #904
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

I confess a little annoyance at proposals that the government bail out cruise lines... most of the people who work on those ships are not USA citizens. Those ships are "flagged" in other countries with different (less strict) laws.

I understand your feeling.
Have been puzzled by discussions in that vein. I think legislators who have cruise lines in their turf want to preserve their tax base. I can’t see them as a critical transport or vacation link in our country.

The bad taste leftover from the financial industry bailouts of 2008-9 will be a small appetizer compared to some of the proposals being floated now.

The generation that must pay back any new deficits are still in diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:34 PM   #905
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It can go down another 100%.

I confess a little annoyance at proposals that the government bail out cruise lines... most of the people who work on those ships are not USA citizens. Those ships are "flagged" in other countries with different (less strict) laws.

OK, rant over.

We'd like to hope that most if not all of these larger companies will continue to pay their employees, so given that expense, and they still have to pay for offices and of course the huge loans that they take out on these ships, plus I assume, dock fees, they will be hemorrhaging money for months.

At some point, yes, it will be a good investment if they survive, but I can think of better places to put your money.
Down 100% is Zero.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:05 AM   #906
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
Down 100% is Zero.

What is the current trade price for Worldcom and Enron?
Old 21 March 2020, 12:10 AM   #907
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I was watching CNBC as I ate breakfast, and Rick Santori did a brief piece on bond ETFs. Specifically (I thought worth noting) is MUB, which is down 13% (up a bit this morning) and consists of municipal bonds. That may be worth a look.

I bought some.

Other ETFs are HYG and LQD, both corporate bonds (high yield and not so much) down 17 and 20%, respectively.

I bought some of those too. Just dipping in my toe. IRA money. Long term.

Well, longish... I'm not that young.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #908
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Anybody who knows way more than I do have thoughts on picking up cruise stocks? Carnival down to $10 last I checked. Are we at the bottom for them yet you think? I'm very tempted to pick some up. Currently down ~80% off the high
Personally I would not touch travel, hospitality, restaurants, energy or leisure spaces. You need to do your research carefully here.

I am not a speculator, just because a stock is massively down in price does not mean it cannot fall further based on the fundamentals.

Even book values are next to useless at this point, P/E will need to be recalculated for everything. Dividends will be cut, guidance is useless.

I am focused on strong companies that can withstand this, that have solid balance sheets, cash and revenue. I look for stocks like that when they have been beaten down.

I have been buying UPS, GILD, AVGO, MSFT, VZ, CSCO and NVS
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #909
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yes. I have an inappropriate amount of MGM.
i spent more on mgm stocks in the past two three days than stays in their hotels. Wished i bought more at $6, bought a lot at $7-8, bought a little at $9.

No brainer, they moved past the vegas shooting and 2008, they will survive this.
SackLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:20 AM   #910
m j b
"TRF" Member

Every time I sell a stock (winners and losers) this week I get a dread of FOMO. What if today was the bottom?

I suspect some of the buying is thinking the same way. News reports this AM that unemployment numbers may be horrendous in April.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 21 March 2020, 12:28 AM   #911
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Personally I would not touch travel, hospitality, restaurants, energy or leisure spaces.

The only reason MGM is moving is because the press told us that the executives bought their own stock. No other reason. MGM can do no business in Nevada for the next 30 days = No money coming in, and massive job loss. The biggest state next door just shut down with no time line to open back up.

I believe MGM will touch $4 here real soon.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:31 AM   #912
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Every time I sell a stock (winners and losers) this week I get a dread of FOMO. What if today was the bottom?

I suspect some of the buying is thinking the same way. News reports this AM that unemployment numbers may be horrendous in April.
dca in small chunks is the way to go in this market or day trade. its volatile and you can't time it. example, i though i had a great buy at boeing @170 for a huge flip. little did i know trump would close off european travel.

been sticking with values under $30 and anything with a 50% haircut
SackLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:32 AM   #913
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

for certain.

I am seeing quite a bit of this. I have heard of at least 6 examples of people I know very well.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 01:01 AM   #914
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
The only reason MGM is moving is because the press told us that the executives bought their own stock. No other reason. MGM can do no business in Nevada for the next 30 days = No money coming in, and massive job loss. The biggest state next door just shut down with no time line to open back up.

Lol. Up 40% in one day. Whatever the reason I'm happy with that return on a mouse click.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:09 AM   #915
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Massive is an understatement- well over 200,000 workers in the Las Vegas hotel industry. 9/11 x 10 and for much much longer time. Add in the biggest tourist pipe line from California and its gets crazier. This will take many months to over come.

And in November 2019 Blackstone purchased Bellagio’s real estate for $4.2 billion and leased it back for an initial annual rent of $245 million. Two months later, it agreed to form a joint venture with MGM Resorts International’s REIT, MGM Growth Properties, to acquire the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay in a $4.6 billion deal and lease them back to MGM Resorts for an initial annual rent of $292 million combined. The hotels have huge payments. And so do other properties..
Old 21 March 2020, 02:06 AM   #916
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No one ever went broke taking a profit

Quote:

I never buy stock on news like that
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 21 March 2020, 02:10 AM   #917
golfgrouch
Banned

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Lol. Up 40% in one day. Whatever the reason I'm happy with that return on a mouse click.
How did you time the bottom? Was there some kind of specific information that indicated it?
golfgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #918
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
For you guys out there that are long term value dividend investors, what have you been parking your money in?

Still relatively young at 32 and have done well with speculative investments but interested in opening a grip of $5-10k positions in the dividend yield space, setting it to DRIP, and forgetting about it.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #919
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
For those with cash reserves.

Anyone concerned with FDIC insurance limits?

If so, what are you doing?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #920
golfgrouch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
For you guys out there that are long term value dividend investors, what have you been parking your money in?

Still relatively young at 32 and have done well with speculative investments but interested in opening a grip of $5-10k positions in the dividend yield space, setting it to DRIP, and forgetting about it.
VZ, but nothing looks safe right now. I thought it was safe when I bought it but it's way down today...In other words, don't take advice from amateurs like me!
Old 21 March 2020, 02:30 AM   #921
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrouch View Post
VZ, but nothing looks safe right now. I thought it was safe when I bought it but it's way down today...In other words, don't take advice from amateurs like me!
Buy, and when it’s down buy some more!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 02:32 AM   #922
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How did you time the bottom? Was there some kind of specific information that indicated it?

I bought at $6.50 after reading an article about directors buying. I did some quick math and decided they could liquidate for that price so I bought 2000 shares.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:50 AM   #923
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
For those with cash reserves.

Anyone concerned with FDIC insurance limits?

If so, what are you doing?
I like to spread it across 250k cds. Short term. Maybe there is a better way
Old 21 March 2020, 02:55 AM   #924
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Markets trying to digest all the recent news, bottomed at 12:30 now trying another rally, trade is orderly and price action is good, VIX is at ~62, down 10 points (14%)

Will need to watch 2 pm margin calls and then 3:30 market on close orders after options expiration
Old 21 March 2020, 03:20 AM   #925
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I was watching CNBC as I ate breakfast, and Rick Santori did a brief piece on bond ETFs. Specifically (I thought worth noting) is MUB, which is down 13% (up a bit this morning) and consists of municipal bonds. That may be worth a look.

I bought some.

Other ETFs are HYG and LQD, both corporate bonds (high yield and not so much) down 17 and 20%, respectively.

I bought some of those too. Just dipping in my toe. IRA money. Long term.

Well, longish... I'm not that young.

I was glad to hear the Fed's announcement of their plan to purchase short term Munis.

This will help take some pressure off. Best of luck.
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 03:24 AM   #926
golfgrouch
Banned

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Markets trying to digest all the recent news, bottomed at 12:30 now trying another rally, trade is orderly and price action is good, VIX is at ~62, down 10 points (14%)

Will need to watch 2 pm margin calls and then 3:30 market on close orders after options expiration
Where do you obtain such information?
Old 21 March 2020, 03:29 AM   #927
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where do you obtain such information?
Combination of online info, TV, level II quoting and my own analysis.

I am a systems analyst, I sit in front of 5 monitors and a 50" tv all day
Old 21 March 2020, 03:31 AM   #928
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post

When people ask me "where do I start" I like to tell them (wrong or right) to buy a company that they like. Eat at Mickey D's a lot? Buy MCD. Smoke? Buy Phillip Morris. Drink? Buy BUD. Coca-Cola is an outstanding company. Do you know what the most recognized brand is, world-wide? I forgot, quite honestly, but Coke & Marlboro are in the top 5.

For dividends, find a good utility company that you like. Mine is Duke, which is the largest in the country, the stock is down right now. Disclaimer: I worked there my first job out of school. They survived without me. Utility dividends, with the exception of PG&E, are probably secure.

Bank stocks are generally also a good play if you like steady dividends.

Old 21 March 2020, 03:34 AM   #929
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When people ask me "where do I start" I like to tell them (wrong or right) to buy a company that they like. Eat at Mickey D's a lot? Buy MCD. Smoke? Buy Phillip Morris. Drink? Buy BUD. Coca-Cola is an outstanding company. Do you know what the most recognized brand is, world-wide? I forgot, quite honestly, but Coke & Marlboro are in the top 5.

For dividends, find a good utility company that you like. Mine is Duke, which is the largest in the country, the stock is down right now. Disclaimer: I worked there my first job out of school. They survived without me. Utility dividends, with the exception of PG&E, are probably secure.

Bank stocks are generally also a good play if you like steady dividends.

Many people think investing is difficult. Buy what you know.
Old 21 March 2020, 03:44 AM   #930
golfgrouch
Banned

Icon9

Quote:
...For dividends, find a good utility company that you like. Mine is Duke, which is the largest in the country, the stock is down right now. Disclaimer: I worked there my first job out of school. They survived without me. Utility dividends, with the exception of PG&E, are probably secure...
I would normally agree, but there's now talk of massive number of people not being able to pay utility bills and deferred payments during the crisis. It's scary to think that people can't even pay utility bills!